PDA

View Full Version : F-35 Vid

cputters
January 8th, 2012, 15:06
This video was made in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia .

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35 JSF on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period. The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates. That was an intentional part of the sea trials.

The USS Wasp is an amphibious assault ship designed to embark a Marine Expeditionary Unit. It is capable of simultaneously supporting rotary and fixed wing STOVL aircraft and amphibious landing craft operations. For this test deployment the USS Wasp was outfitted with special instrumentation to support and measure the unique operating environment as the F-35 conducted short takeoffs and vertical landings.

No catapult...... No hook ......

The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE</SPAN> (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE)</SPAN>

hey_moe
January 8th, 2012, 15:16
That is one cool video.:applause:

Naismith
January 8th, 2012, 15:30
Very nice vid.

Engage rant mode :-

Why on earth the RCAF want it befuddles me. No, it enrages me considering my taxes will be paying for the thing. In the past they always stated they require twin engines because of the harsh climatic conditions up here. So what is their reasoning here. Plus we tend not to have much in the way of aircraft carriers. IMHO should have gone for the Superhornet, tried and proven technology. Methinks they will regret the purchase.

Rant mode off. Screens down.

cputters
January 8th, 2012, 17:35
My understanding of it is that all allied air forces will have a squadron of them. This will allow pilots from other coutries to hop straight in and help out where needed.

I know there was a bit of a problem in the Middle East where top guns from other countries still had to do a training course to help the yanks out in their F-15's.