PDA

View Full Version : When bad ides become stupid ideas

Dangerousdave26
January 8th, 2012, 06:29
Of course I am not really against bungee jumping I am sure it could be quite the rush and under the right circumstances I might actually try it.

This would not be one of those circumstances.

Bungee jumping over a river with little cirtters that might eat you is like temping fate to me. :icon_lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16459489

Tako_Kichi
January 8th, 2012, 06:59
She's very lucky to be alive regardless of the crocs. Many people have committed suicide from much lower bridges than that.

AndyG43
January 8th, 2012, 07:04
Some people don't have the brains they were born with!! That is supposed to be fun? Awfully glad I'm so boring then!

SSI01
January 8th, 2012, 07:45
If these folks were just affecting themselves I couldn't care less. But as (formerly) one of those folks who are called out on their weekends/holidays/childrens' birthdays/family gatherings/anniversaries to attend to the "victims" of these stunts, and other stupid and preventable incidents not quite as dramatic, I'm a little upset at them for doing what they do. I'd bet you half the people here in the States who try this sort of thing don't have insurance and when they sustain injuries like they do, they go to the hospital for treatment, which then finds out they don't have coverage, so they treat them anyway and just pass on the cost of the treatment to me and my coverage via increased fees. Secondly, they're doing this of their own free will - it wasn't a legitimate accident (weather, bad equipment, etc) you couldn't have helped, it was planned and didn't work out quite the way they wanted. Someone had to be ready to go - or actually go - into the water to get her away from those beasties. Therefore, their life was needlessly at risk as well. I'm not saying let these folks die - but I am definitely saying let's recover the cost of their rescue and care, and open them up to lawsuits on the part of the rescue people who had to lose time and, possibly, THEIR lives in trying to save hers - for something that was entirely preventable!

Prowler1111
January 8th, 2012, 09:00
She just lost a Darwin Awards nomination by this much <-->

Prowler

demorier
January 8th, 2012, 14:46
You guys have no spirit of adventure....lots of people said things like that about the Wright brothers.

SSI01
January 8th, 2012, 15:43
The Wrights consulted experts in aviation, such as there were (i.e., Lilienthal), long before they launched their efforts - plus built, carefully utilized, and studied the results from, numerous gliders (which they tethered for safety's sake) and wing and propeller sections (in their own homebuilt wind tunnel, no less) before they even began to build the Wright Flyer. One of the brothers (can't remember who) said they did this, no just to protect their own necks, but also to enhance powered flight's reputation to the general public. They wanted to make it as risk-free as possible in order for it to appeal to the masses. I'll bet a month's retirement pay this young lady didn't even bother to look at the bungee cord before she got tied to it - nor did anyone in her party. Done on a whim.

BTW the Wrights had an ulterior motive as well. Both the Wright brothers detested armed conflict, and believed the airplane would make it easier for nations to communicate with each other and thereby somehow lessen the possibility of misunderstandings that could lead to wars. They were deeply saddened to see their invention taken in hand as an offensive military weapon. Yes, I know they built aircraft for the Aviation Section of the Army Signal Corps - but, again, that was in the hope it would be used as a reconnaissance machine, gathering information that would lead to actions by Army commanders that could shorten wars. :kilroy:

Naki
January 8th, 2012, 16:33
Do you guys go parachuting, microflight flying, warbird flying, swimming in the sea, mountain climbing or hang gliding???

Bungee Jummping is as safe or safer than parachuting or many other sports in NZ. Literally 1000s go Bungee jumping in NZ every year. I can't speak for Zimbabwe but Bungee jumping is a big activity here (its a multi million dollar tourist industry for NZ firms) and tightly regulated and is safe as.

demorier
January 8th, 2012, 17:25
Man on the moon...bah nonsense. Human base on Mars are rubbish....think again some of you knockers.

Prowler1111
January 8th, 2012, 17:36
dont get me wrong..i´m 100% into exteme sports, heck i´ve even surfed with Orcas!
BUT, my point in the matter is..did you see that bungee cord? you could easy see the number of strings that already gave up (those "hairs" in the cord) ANYONE into this kind of pastime would check that before jumping into the abyss..hey..just IMHO

Best regards

Prowler

SpitXIV
January 8th, 2012, 22:18
Yup, she's lucky to be alive, Look Marge! here comes our dinner, thanks for dropping it Off!:icon_lol:

johnh_049
January 9th, 2012, 15:58
dont get me wrong..i´m 100% into exteme sports, heck i´ve even surfed with Orcas!
BUT, my point in the matter is..did you see that bungee cord? you could easy see the number of strings that already gave up (those "hairs" in the cord) ANYONE into this kind of pastime would check that before jumping into the abyss..hey..just IMHO

Best regards

Prowler

you took the words right out of my mouth.
anyone who would risk their life on worn out ratty looking equipment like that bungee...
well, it goes without saying...