PDA

View Full Version : DC3 skins ?

dog1
October 2nd, 2008, 16:57
hi,
I am looking for US or USN skins for the DC3 converted from FS9 by simonu,i have checked all of the available fs9 skins and there are none.
dog1

simonu
October 3rd, 2008, 15:23
Go to www.flightsim.com (you must log in to use file search, its free) search in the file library FS9 warbirds, for DC3, you will find several for the default DC3.

The textures need proccessing to make them work properly
(else the plane appears see through).
The alpha channel needs replacing, and a damage skin needs making.

I included an alpha channel replacement in the repaint kit.
But.....
to use it you will need DXTbmp.
The repaint kit also includes a couple of unmarked skins and damage and weathering masks, that you can use to beat up those Civil sim factory finish repaints
BUT.....
to use these you need some version of photoshop or photoshop elements.

sorry Im not offering to make them for you,
the idea is to encourage you to have a go...

Jagdflieger
October 3rd, 2008, 16:50
Simon,

I had thought about converting some FS 9 textures for my converted C-47, but the problem with the wing insignia stopped me. Do you have a solution for the mirror textures on the wings so that the US insignia is only on the left top and the right bottom wings?

dog1
October 3rd, 2008, 19:11
ATT SIMONU

Thanks tip, i did'nt look under warbirds.I downloaded 3 skins which i will convert with my DXTBMP kit but forget the rest i dont have the savy.I would like to thank you for converting this plane for cfs2 use, its excellent, the 3D cockpit functions just as in FS9.
dog1

dog1
October 3rd, 2008, 19:44
SIMONU
here she is!!!ooops with the door open!!
dog1

dog1
October 4th, 2008, 05:46
and here is the D DAY skin but can you explain to me how to render the windows transparent please??
dog1

simonu
October 5th, 2008, 12:33
Its in the alpha channel, there is a little black square that corresponds to the area in the main texture that is used for glass parts. The area is in the lower left of Douglas_DC3_1_T.bmp just above the underside of the elevator.
If you open the folder DC3Paint\Image Templates\CFS2 only\ you will see I have provided an alpha template for just this purpose. Open your texture in DXTbmp click the alpha button and select "import alpha channel" navigate to the alpha channel template, job done.

dog1
October 5th, 2008, 23:18
SIMONU
check your PM please
dog1

simonu
October 6th, 2008, 16:34
Simon,

I had thought about converting some FS 9 textures for my converted C-47, but the problem with the wing insignia stopped me. Do you have a solution for the mirror textures on the wings so that the US insignia is only on the left top and the right bottom wings?

it would be possible to revisit this model and edit in another texture name to deal with that one,
but it will be a while till I get round to it,
maybe another intrepid scasm explorer will take up the challenge.
Its a matter of duplicating the main texture and its damage variant with an alternative name like Douglas_DC3_1R_T.bmp, adding it to the TextureList, and then searching through the PartsVisible refs to id the starboard wingtip then adjusting the SetMaterial command accordingly,
did I make it sound easy?

dog1
October 6th, 2008, 18:37
ATT SIMONU

My problem is here
Your point no.3
“Once the alpha has been imported you should save the file as DXT3.”

1) the single window template which I have placed in the texture file should be saved as greyscale and then previewed as DXT3,but when I go to preview and check the yellow outline on the fuselage is still green.Then in save there is no DXT3,
2) all the other points in your message are clear and understood.

below is the image of the 2 files,the fuselage and the imported window template as well as the preview window displayed as DXT3.

Corsair Freak
October 6th, 2008, 18:42
Dog1,

I don't know the answer to your question but it seems your AVG anti-virus is not running properly, and it is out of date. AVG 8.0 is out. You can get it here: http://free.avg.com/

Don't want ya to get a virus. :ernae:

CF

dog1
October 6th, 2008, 19:04
ATT SIMONU

OOOPS a daisy!!!!!

having loaded the window template, checked it "preview" as DXT3 and saved as extended bitmap it did convert the template in the folder but now its totally transparent "black" how do i go to "grey"
dog1

simonu
October 9th, 2008, 14:58
I'm not quite sure what your asking here, it seems to me you have succesfully made the windows transparent. Are you now saying they are too transparent?
If so the answer is easy.
You will have to edit the alpha template before you import it into your texture.
make a copy of the original alpha template so as not to mess it up then edit the copy.
In the alpha template white=opaque Black=transparent shades of grey will be in between, you will have to experiment,
open the template copy in your image editor, select the little black square and fill it with dark grey, save . Then open the texture in DXTBMP and import the new alpha , save as extended bmp DXT3.

(In DXT1 format the alpha will only render transparent or opaque with nothing in between)

dog1
October 9th, 2008, 16:32
ATT SIMONU

this is exactly what i want to know and how to go about it.thanks
dog1