PDA

View Full Version : FR Supercub tundra tailwheel question

PilatusTurbo
January 8th, 2012, 01:24
Loving this plane, but a minor question. The tailwheel is set to freely castor at 180°, as are the differential brakes.

However, no matter how hard I step on the brakes or the rudder pedals, or both, I can't get it topivot around on its wheels. She won't turn completely around in place no matter what I do.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks everyone :ernae:

PilatusTurbo
January 8th, 2012, 05:36
Hope this did not come off as a nitpick on a lovely ship. I really do love this thing. It's just, for some of those tight sloped mountains up in AK, it's going to be remarkably useful to simply power her up and spin her around.

If anyone knows what else can be done in the .air file, or the .cfg file, please let me know. :ernae:

falcon409
January 8th, 2012, 05:53
For the rare times when I actually download or purchase a taildragger, one of the things I do is go into the aircraft.cfg file to the "Contact_Points" section, count over 8 spots on the first line and change the 180.0 to 56.0. That eliminates the tailwheel and the need for differential braking. Makes it taxi like it has Nosewheel steering. Much easier, not authentic, but it doesn't bother me a bit to make it easier on me.:salute:

PilatusTurbo
January 8th, 2012, 05:55
Right, everyone has their preference. :ernae: Me, personally, any taildragger I DL freeware, or buy payware, I do the exact opposite. :d I make sure she's got a full castoring wheel by changing it to 180*. As I said, to each their own. :)

fleurdelys
January 8th, 2012, 06:15
For the rare times when I actually download or purchase a taildragger, one of the things I do is go into the aircraft.cfg file to the "Contact_Points" section, count over 8 spots on the first line and change the 180.0 to 56.0. That eliminates the tailwheel and the need for differential braking. Makes it taxi like it has Nosewheel steering. Much easier, not authentic, but it doesn't bother me a bit to make it easier on me.:salute:

I usually make mine 100.0 and it gives me full castoring without any problem. Always had problems with using 180.0 and had to use differential breaking to get it to turn...

Try it and see if you like.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

fliger747
January 8th, 2012, 10:41
Mike used my real world airplane as the base model for this series. Sadly MS has not provided us a method to simulate how the T/W works on such aircraft. The actual T/W steering is quite approximate as it is connected through rather elastic springs, not quite the rather agressive direct power steering feel we get from flight sim. The to aggrivate the missed pass at how this works, the real T/W breaks loose and becomes fully castoring past a certain angular value, MS does not provide for this, a T/W that does both. The real effect of T/W steering is somewhat simulated by perhaps a 20 deg steer angle, but alas this will not break loose like the real one, permitting the satisfying pivot about one wheel.

My personal pfererence is for the castoring T/W as it seems to better mimic how the plane is steered on the ground. Certinaly not a perfect solution.

Good luck! T

PilatusTurbo
January 8th, 2012, 11:45
I was about to say, I've dealt with real world taildraggers, and know how they 'break' past a certain point and are simply castoring wheels. I agree, however, with many FS taildraggers, I prefer the fully castoring wheel like on the WBS Mustangs, where it'll just keep castoring and turning sharper if you keep one foot on the rudder and brake. I didn't know you were the 747 pilot and Super Cub owner, though; that's awesome! :ernae:

I just didn't know if it was some modeled effect due to the tundra tires or what not. However, I still wish there was a way to get the plane to pivot around; I know many FS taildraggers that are loose enough with a 180 degree tailwheel contact point, that they'll simply start pivoting around after a second or two of full pedal and brake on one side? Do you know how to do that, Fliger? With your flight model knowledge, maybe you can help me get to some sort of compromise. :ernae: