PDA

View Full Version : Campaign problems

Razor31
December 18th, 2008, 08:01
Have recently installed CFS 2 onto my laptop, after installation i can free-fly, do training missions & single missions, but when i try & play the campaign part, it just crashes back to the desktop??
any ideas

bearcat241
December 18th, 2008, 09:56
We would need more info to help you Razor. What campaign are you trying? - what aircraft are you flying? - at what point EXACTLY in the campaign loading process does the sim CTD?

We prefer to be more technical around here because it helps us get to the solutions quicker, rather than waste time chasing a broad number of possibilities.

If i could hazard a guess i would say that you're having some trouble with the campaign video files that are written into the campaign files. Are you running the sim from the CD?

Shadow Wolf 07
December 18th, 2008, 10:25
See my theory in the P-38 thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=62465&postcount=9

I think it's a vista thing :bs: :banghead:

Buddha13
December 18th, 2008, 10:37
Hi all,
I am running Vista Ultimate with no problems.try turning the UAC off.

Buddha13

Shadow Wolf 07
December 18th, 2008, 10:43
Mine is not the Ultimate version but... What the devil is a UAC? :kilroy:

Devildog73
December 18th, 2008, 20:49
It is an auto-loaded program. User Account Control. It is a security program in Vista that is supposed to make your laptop MORE secure. What is does is disable the system from running programs other than what the geeks at M$ think you need.

Here is a step-by-step to disable it.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

I finally got fed up with the mandatory modifications to Vista and formatted C and loaded XP on my laptop and never looked back. (or is that forward?) Going from Vista to XP, IMO, was a step forward.

Razor31
December 19th, 2008, 05:43
We would need more info to help you Razor. What campaign are you trying? - what aircraft are you flying? - at what point EXACTLY in the campaign loading process does the sim CTD?

We prefer to be more technical around here because it helps us get to the solutions quicker, rather than waste time chasing a broad number of possibilities.

If i could hazard a guess i would say that you're having some trouble with the campaign video files that are written into the campaign files. Are you running the sim from the CD?

sorry 'bout that, have done a full install from CD & then used a no-cd crack, but as i said, as soon as i click on the first Campaign, the screen starts to load up & then crash? should've said, my Laptop is rather old & am running XP on it, & checked the CFS2 config file & it's not read only? thanks for the info tho' guys!!

Devildog73
December 19th, 2008, 17:48
AH, therein lies the problem. That no cd script sometimes works, sometimes does not. It is a crap shoot on it, dependent upon where it came from. While I don't like having to always switch my cd from one computer to the other just to fly, it is necessary to get it to run correctly, always.

hewman100
December 20th, 2008, 02:21
TABOO Subject mentioned Gents!

bearcat241
December 20th, 2008, 06:58
TABOO Subject mentioned Gents!

Context, Hewman....context...if we're trying to diagnose a problem that MAY involve a no CD file, we have to lay the rule books aside until we figure out the causes. But don't despair, we can get back to the taboo thingy later after this is sorted out and we know exactly what's causing the itch here.

Devildog73
December 20th, 2008, 07:45
I agree with Bearcat. I do NOT use it myself, I follow the copyright laws and policies. I said I don't like always using the CD when switching computers, but it is necessary. Most of us KNOW where that script came from and actively guide people away from using any of those downloads for several reasons. Newer guys on here need to know that some sites have stuff that sounds good at face value, but will cause errors on the CFS2 installs if you use them. Not to mention the pirate side of that coin.

Razor31
December 20th, 2008, 08:03
sorry if i've started something! it's easier than keep swapping CD's?? i've got the original, so there's no problem there? I've uninstalled the game & re-installed it again, to the default directory (changed it first time) but same thing happens again, click on Campaign, get through the screens to Fly-now, click on that, then crash! even tried down-loading the BOB Campaign files, but got an error message, 'bout couldn't load one of the German aircraft, so not having much luck at all!!!
But thanks for trying to come up with the answer, & i won't mention no-cd's again

Paul

Devildog73
December 20th, 2008, 11:52
In your main Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder there should be a txt file named "error". Open it with notepad and see what it says.

Razor31
December 21st, 2008, 00:50
In your main Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder there should be a txt file named "error". Open it with notepad and see what it says.

have had a look, & this is what's in the file -

[Mission file error]
error=Unable to init unit 9086
title=First attack over the Channel
filename=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\CAMPAIGNS\BoB_7-10

any ideas??

EC_ILO
December 21st, 2008, 01:28
I'll try to untick the "read only" box in the properties tab of the whole cfs2 folder, then delete the cfs2.cfg file and fire the sim again.

EC_ILO

bearcat241
December 21st, 2008, 05:31
have had a look, & this is what's in the file -

[Mission file error]
error=Unable to init unit 9086
title=First attack over the Channel
filename=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\CAMPAIGNS\BoB_7-10

any ideas??

So...finally :icon_lol:....we get to see just what campaign you're trying to fly here. That error file is telling you that unit 9086 in mission #7-10 of the BOB campaign has some problem. Open the 7-10 mission file of the BOB campaign in notepad and search for unit 9086 and find out what aircraft, ship or infrastructure object it is. The unit can then be singled out for close examination or replacement with something similar but better.

If its an aircraft, it could be missing panel or sound or have a defective dp.

Razor31
December 21st, 2008, 07:23
thanks will have a look & let you know, but that wasn't my original problem, can't load any of the Campaigns that came with the game, the BOB one i downloaded & tried to see if that'd work.............but no!! Have found it to be an Aircraft model, Dornier 17z2, so have downloaded the file again & am going to see if that works!!
Have also took off the read only attribute for the folder & deleted the config file, see if that works too!

ok tried that still no joy, get this error message when i start it up in Campaign mode -

[Mission file error]
error=Unit 9111 needs to be a member of a formation
title=Bettys vs. TG11
filename=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\CAMPAIGNS\hn1a_usn

still getting the other message when i do the BOB campaign too?? the only other thing i've installed is the unofficial patch, from here, but surely that wouldn't do anything?

cheers

Devildog73
December 21st, 2008, 13:27
Razor, Download the mk_cfs2_util (here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=2586) and install it and open it up and look at the planes in missions and campaigns. Any in red have a problem or are missing. It will allow you then go into that planes folder and see what is wrong with it.

Also, I run a search of my aircraft folder for "sound.cfg". Any that are only 1kb are aliased to a stock aircraft. I replace them with Lawdog's sounds. Then I search for "*.cdp" and delete them all. Then I search for "filelist.dat" and delete them all. Eventually, the sim begins to work again.

Oh, and JFYI, if you have installed "CVFA Hangar\G-55 Centauro" it comes with 27 skins and model folders. It will kick you over your plane limit before you even know it. Then you will have all sorts of CTD and errors.

hewman100
December 22nd, 2008, 02:07
Apologies gentlemen:redf:

Jagdflieger
December 22nd, 2008, 07:35
No need Hewman. I appreciate your sharp eyes, but in this case Bearcat is right. Context is the key. It's not like it's not out there, we just can't promote it, host it, ask for it or sponser it in the forum.

Razor31
December 23rd, 2008, 05:34
Razor, Download the mk_cfs2_util (here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=2586) and install it and open it up and look at the planes in missions and campaigns. Any in red have a problem or are missing. It will allow you then go into that planes folder and see what is wrong with it.

Also, I run a search of my aircraft folder for "sound.cfg". Any that are only 1kb are aliased to a stock aircraft. I replace them with Lawdog's sounds. Then I search for "*.cdp" and delete them all. Then I search for "filelist.dat" and delete them all. Eventually, the sim begins to work again.

Oh, and JFYI, if you have installed "CVFA Hangar\G-55 Centauro" it comes with 27 skins and model folders. It will kick you over your plane limit before you even know it. Then you will have all sorts of CTD and errors.

ok thanks, will try it & let you know how i get on!!

Razor31
December 23rd, 2008, 07:28
ok have done what you suggested, there was a problem with 2 of the aircraft, which i've replaced. I now get as far as loading the scenery files in campaign mode, before it crashes back to the desktop, any other ideas, before i pull all my hair out!!

cheers

:isadizzy:

Devildog73
December 23rd, 2008, 13:32
What does the error.txt document say in the main CFS2 directory say?

Razor31
December 24th, 2008, 03:00
What does the error.txt document say in the main CFS2 directory say?

that's just it, there wasn't one, but thankfully got it sorted now, so thanks to everyone for their help, there was a problem with 2 of the aircraft which i replaced, but as far as it crashing back to the desktop, i re-installed directx & that seems to have solved it:applause:
just get a problem now when playing the first mission of the BOB campaign, about some of the scenery not loading, still plays though, but can that be replaced? & if so what with??
the other thing, can anyone recommend some good missions/campaigns??

thanks everyone & have a good christmas & new year

Razor31
December 27th, 2008, 02:24
working like a dream now:applause:

any recommendations regarding campaigns, missions etc? please

Jagdflieger
December 27th, 2008, 10:57
Oh man, where to start?

The library here has a tremendous number of missions and campaigns. Almost all of them were built by members here and support is just a post a way. There are campaigns in the ETO, MTO, PTO and everything inbetween.

Rami, one of our most prolific of campaign modifyers and builders just announced a new site for his work. It is at Sopwith's new CFS 2 site and you can read about it at this thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=6736

Devildog73
December 28th, 2008, 06:12
The old Battle of France is one of my favorites. I can run out of fuel in that Hurricane before return to base 7 out of ten times.