PDA

View Full Version : Torrent PITB

falcon409
January 6th, 2012, 10:37
"Pain in the Butt". This wormed it's way into my system as part of a scenery download for either the Norway Scenery or Netherlands Scenery, not sure which, what I do know is that it has disappeared into some part of my system and has eluded every software utility I have including CCLeaner. When my computer turns on. . .there it is in the background "seeding". I don't want it "seeding" anything thank you and which ever scenery it was that it was supposed to download was halted when I discovered that it needed to run for weeks at a time to continue to "seed". Sorry, but anyone who wonders why folks get a bit testy about Torrents. . . .that's why. Some folks will balk at using an "auto-installer" but then use a torrent to download scenery that has to run continuously in the background?

How do I get rid of it?

gradyhappyg
January 6th, 2012, 10:50
You can find it in your task manager running under services open the file location then delete it.

Bone
January 6th, 2012, 10:52
I DL'd one file of the freeware Netherlands scenery, and the same thing happened to me. I tried to delete the file I had the NL installer in, but kept getting the window pop-up that said the file was in use, and couldn't be deleted. THAT, got my attention, and I didn't DL another Netherlands file. I kept trying to delete the file with the installer in it, but kept getting the pop-up window. I kept trying for three weeks, and finally got it. I'm planning on purchasing the Netherlands photscenery package from Simmarket, instead.

gradyhappyg
January 6th, 2012, 10:55
What was the message you were getting {file in use} if so shut it down with the task manager
either in the processes tab or the services tab then you should be able to delete it.

Bone
January 6th, 2012, 10:59
What was the message you were getting {file in use} if so shut it down with the task manager
either in the processes tab or the services tab then you should be able to delete it.

Lol. I do use the task manager to shut down certain programs on occasion, but for some reason didn't even think of it for this situation....DUH!

falcon409
January 6th, 2012, 11:32
Got it!! Thanks guys. . . .Muchas Gracias!!:applause::icon29::icon29:

PutPut
January 6th, 2012, 15:22
BTW, the Netherlands scenery is available at flightsim and does not involve torrents.

Best, Paul

mfitch
January 6th, 2012, 19:39
If it is the auto torrent downloader for the Netherlands scenery, the "torrent" must be stopped. There is a button to delete the torrent which stops it from seeding. This does not (have to) delete any downloaded files.

I too find this annoying.

anthony31
January 6th, 2012, 23:21
Try a google search on the name of the program to find out how to properly delete it off your system.

Make sure you ignore any links that want you to download something to do it automatically though otherwise your problems will really start to snowball.

Killing it in the task manager (oh yeah, get procexp.exp as well, some viruses can actually prevent task manager from working, thus stopping you from killing them. Procexp can be a useful tool at those times) will stop it running for now but next time you start your system it will start again (it will no doubt have a line in your startup routine to automatically start it, CCleaner can be used to look at your startup file)

huub vink
January 7th, 2012, 01:26
Which program did you use to download the Dutch scenery (NL2000 V4)? Your problems are most likely caused by this program and not by the scenery. Somehow your program auto-executes. This is likely to be a setting in your torrent program.

For future users; Take PutPut's advise and get it from flightsim.com........

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
January 7th, 2012, 02:03
For future users; Take PutPut's advise and get it from flightsim.com........

Or Avsim, which is a lot faster for downloads...

If you do want to use torrents try a program called 'utorrent' (http://www.utorrent.com/) which is freeware and allows more control of your downloads. Wortks great for the NL2000 scenery and the (Big!) x-plane 10 demo.
Torrents need some time to gain speed though, so don't be too disappointed with initial download speeds. It will usually improve.