PDA

View Full Version : Newegg

JoeW
January 6th, 2012, 08:24
Back around Christmas I received a Kindle Fire for Christmas. My router was not Wi Fi so I had to go buy another one. I had noticed that Office Max in Sebring had a sale on and had a D-Link router that was about in the price range I could afford. I did a search for that router to see what the specs were and some how I managed to place a re-direct on the Newegg site. I can't go there any more. I can't type the url in the header of Firefox and go there, it redirects me to dlinksearch and no amount of choosing the newegg site from the results will take me to newegg. I have blown the cashe, deleted the history. Deleted the link in my Favorites, ran regedit and searched for dlinksearch.com with no results. Same for newegg.com. I even ran C-Cleaner and I still get redirected. How does one stop a redirect? Any help at all would be appreacheated.

Daveroo
January 6th, 2012, 09:46
id say try google chrome on a pc?....im not really clear if you are saying this is happening on the kindle fire..or on a pc..

Dangerousdave26
January 6th, 2012, 09:52
Joe

I would take the Dlink router off and put the other router back on. The Netgear Router I gave you was a WiFi router I just turned WiFi off on it because you were not using anything WiFi.

Once you put the Netgear router back test see if you can get to Newegg. If you can then all you need to do is turn on the WiFi in the Netgear router. It will also need to be set up correctly. Its not a good idea to have WiFi on unrestricted especially in a highly populated community like you live in.

kilo delta
January 6th, 2012, 10:29
Turn off "Advanced DNS Service" in the routers settings.

OBIO
January 6th, 2012, 11:22
JoeW

I can't help you with the problem you asked help with, but I can make a recommendation. DangerousDave stated that he gave you a Net Gear router...use it. Dump the D-Link one. I have had nothing but trouble with the D-Link routers I have tried to set up for folks. I have always had them return them and get either Net Gear or Linksys routers. D-Link routers are cheaper than Net Gear and Linksys, but the old adage about getting what you pay for is especially true with D-Link routers. Total garbage.

OBIO

JoeW
January 6th, 2012, 11:23
How do I access the router settings? This is for the PC.
The D-Link came with a disk that set everything up. It asked some questions and It did the settings.

kilo delta
January 6th, 2012, 11:29
Try typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. I've been running a D-link DIR-825 dual band wireless N router for ~18 months without issue.

Roadburner440
January 6th, 2012, 11:35
How do I access the router settings? This is for the PC.
The D-Link came with a disk that set everything up. It asked some questions and It did the settings.

I don't know what router type yours is, but all Netgear routers use IE to access the router settings. You need to connect your computer to the router with an ethernet cable, and then type either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 . It will ask you for a password. That will depend on the kind of router you have. I would try Admin for login and then 1234 for the password (that is the most common ones for Netgear, it WILL NOT work without the ethernet cable hooked up however).. Then you will be in the settings. From there you just follow the menu's. Netgears site is awesome for this stuff, but there should be a simple button to turn the wifi back on. If you tell me what model number it is I can give you specialized help and walk you through it. I know the first few times I did this stuff it was complicated, but now I have my whole home network set up and it is a piece of cake.

Dangerousdave26
January 6th, 2012, 12:01
It is a web based admin page

I left you a sheet of paper with all the notes IP address (its not the default), user name and password(which should be default). I think the paper would be in the box the router came in. If you can not find it you will need to reset the route to factory new.

I don't remember the model number of the router but if you can not find the box you will need to download the manual from Netgear. It should be easy to find on their website.

Oh the round blue button on the router is the power button for the WiFi if I remember correctly. You can turn on the WiFi but be careful if it is not encrypted and secured then anybody can get on it. Once on it they can sniff your network to try and hack into your PC or worse yet download illegal files leaving a trail to your home for the police to arrest you.

If you have to default it you will no doubt need some help setting it back up. Give me a call you have my number we can work something out.

JoeW
January 6th, 2012, 14:06
Ok ... back up again with the netgear. There is a logon link on the back and a password. I set the WiFi to wep with a password and it's working.
I knew you guys would pull me out. Thats what it was ................ I typed in newegg.com and it went right to the site.
Thanks again.

Roadburner440
January 6th, 2012, 14:15
Not a problem. Is why we all are here in this community. At least you were able to get the site up finally! I have been browsing Newegg lately myself. Think my FSX HDD may be on the brink. With HDD prices the way they are now though I am waiting for them to come down. Hopefully the supply catches back up to demand. Since the flooding in Thailand prices have been through the roof! I really regret not upgrading my Raptor last year to the 300GB for the $99 they were offering on Newegg. Now it's almost $275.

kilo delta
January 6th, 2012, 15:22
I'd recommend switching from WEP to WPA2 (if available). WEP protected wifi can be easily hacked.

JoeW
January 7th, 2012, 07:00
kilo .. I didn't understand what all that was until I ran into it. Still don't. I think there was some kind of digital address or password that it wanted.

I'm not on line with it much so I just went with that. Whoever tries to hack it will have to have the password and that's a kicker. I think I really need to read up on this or find a class on it. Hell .... I study more now at 74 that I ever did at 17.

Terry
January 7th, 2012, 07:19
I just got a Kindle for Xmas and it immediately found my router signal along with a couple others. I selected my router, it asked for the password, I entered it and all has worked fine since.

kilo delta
January 7th, 2012, 09:40
kilo .. I didn't understand what all that was until I ran into it. Still don't. I think there was some kind of digital address or password that it wanted.

I'm not on line with it much so I just went with that. Whoever tries to hack it will have to have the password and that's a kicker. I think I really need to read up on this or find a class on it. Hell .... I study more now at 74 that I ever did at 17.

Hi Joe....WEP protection is just slightly better than having an open and free to access wifi network. Unfortunately it can be hacked easily...there are even android apps that'll allow someone to easily break into a WEP network by sniffing out the password. WPA2 is the best form of wifi protection, strong enough to put off all but the most determined hackers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Should you wish to, you can even choose to allow only certain MAC addresses to access your wifi network as an added layer of protection. Not something I've bothered with (as I'm basically living out in the sticks!:icon_lol:), but if I lived in a built up area I'd definitely consider doing this.