PDA

View Full Version : We're looking for a few good pilots (RTW Race!)

PRB
January 6th, 2012, 05:11
SOH Teammates,

The annual Round the World Race is soon upon us (Feb 2012). If you’re not familiar with this, there are four teams participating, AVSIM, FlightSim, SOH, and iFlyonline. We race, in real time, around the world in “relay race” fasion, in legs of around 700 nm. Race leg takeoff and landing times are recorded in the multi-player forum. SOH won this event in 2008 and it’s always a lot of fun. One of the keys to victory is having enough pilots available so that we can keep the baton moving 24/7 for about 5 days, as it’s critical that the baton not be left “idle” at some airport in eastern Siberia while everyone is sleeping… We about to hold another practice starting this weekend. Drop over to the multiplayer forum and check it out. No experience is necessary. If you can land your favorite fast plane at night in bad weather, your hired!

PilatusTurbo
January 6th, 2012, 05:37
I feel like I'm finally back in the loop, and I'd love to fly it, once again. As long as my leg is Tuesday thru Thursday, I can do it. :ernae: Let me know when more of the practice flights begin, and what type of ship I should fly. I have a few fast puppies.... :d I can fly one the weekends, but only during early morning thru early afternoon.

PRB
January 6th, 2012, 05:49
In general, we're looking at sub-sonic, piston engine, or turbo-prop with up to 2 engines. We seem to gravitate to WW-II fighters, for obvious reasons, but there are other fast ships that work. There are exceptions, however, and they will depend on the specific rules for this year. There will likely be "wildcard" legs in which sub-sonic jets are allowed. One year a rule said that any sub-sonic jets could be flown over Africa...

falcon409
January 6th, 2012, 10:45
. . . . . . .Let me know when more of the practice flights begin, and what type of ship I should fly. I have a few fast puppies.... :d I can fly one the weekends, but only during early morning thru early afternoon.
Best advice would be to go to the "Flight Center" tab at the top of this page, then click "SOH Flight Forum" and check out the RTW Race forums to get up to the minute information.:salute:

Tako_Kichi
January 6th, 2012, 11:17
Best advice would be to go to the "Flight Center" tab at the top of this page, then click "SOH Flight Forum" and check out the RTW Race forums to get up to the minute information.:salute:
That's actually our back-up server in case this one goes down during the race (as has happened in the past). The practice info and general race info can be found here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?6-Around-The-World-Race-Multiplayer-Events

We also have a restricted access forum where we discuss team tactics and team specific information but you need to be a Team SOH member to gain access to that. If you are serious about joining the Team then PM either 'PRB' or 'Dangerousdave26' to get upgraded to Team status.

We particularly need Team members from Europe, Australasia and the Far East so that we can have continuous movement of the baton 24 hours a day for about 4 days+.

falcon409
January 6th, 2012, 11:34
That's actually our back-up server in case this one goes down during the race (as has happened in the past). The practice info and general race info can be found here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?6-Around-The-World-Race-Multiplayer-Events

We also have a restricted access forum where we discuss team tactics and team specific information but you need to be a Team SOH member to gain access to that. If you are serious about joining the Team then PM either 'PRB' or 'Dangerousdave26' to get upgraded to Team status.

We particularly need Team members from Europe, Australasia and the Far East so that we can have continuous movement of the baton 24 hours a day for about 4 days+.
There ya go PilatusTurbo!!

warchild
January 6th, 2012, 11:50

either that or a couple semi insomiacs who sleep during the morning/day and not at night.. I could probably handle southeast asia/japan/china if no one else steps up..

PilatusTurbo
January 7th, 2012, 05:10
As I said, I'm 3rd shift at my hospital, so I can fly all night on a Tuesday-Thursday leg.

Also, I was planning on flying something like the Carenado 340 II, or maybe the Orbx Lancair IV-P. Both splendid planes with decent speed, but slow enough to maybe, kinda sorta enjoy the flight. :d :ernae: Is there a minimum leg distance?

I know the rules and all that guff are posted somewhere (did read some of 'em), but since I've been outta the loop, and you guys are experts with this, so I'll gladly defer to y'all. :ernae:

falcon409
January 7th, 2012, 08:51
As I said, I'm 3rd shift at my hospital, so I can fly all night on a Tuesday-Thursday leg.
Also, I was planning on flying something like the Carenado 340 II, or maybe the Orbx Lancair IV-P. Both splendid planes with decent speed, but slow enough to maybe, kinda sorta enjoy the flight. Is there a minimum leg distance?
I know the rules and all that guff are posted somewhere (did read some of 'em), but since I've been outta the loop, and you guys are experts with this, so I'll gladly defer to y'all.
All your questions can be answered by reading Tako's post, he gave a link to the Forums area you need to be reading. It will give you min/max distances, required types of aircraft, etc, etc.. . . .so go there to get your answers.

gigabyte
January 9th, 2012, 13:12
I posted in another thread that I am going to give this a go again this year, I am putting the Sim Console and controls back together and hope to be ready for some practice by the weekend. My big problem last year was I could not get the Duena app to function, I never did figure that out, but I will work on it as soon as the controls are programed.

crashaz
January 9th, 2012, 21:07
I will be there again... been there for all the SOH races. Will check in the forum for the practice time. Going to invest in some hardware gauges... particularly GPS panel so I dont need sub windows open. :icon_lol:

Anyone can join the team.... yep we need fliers but also people who can recon the next landing strip and can provide weather and airport information. People can fly but not worry about the pressure of carrying the baton... by flying out 30 min ahead of the baton....and climbing to altitude to report cloud coverage, early weather warning and winds aloft at altitude.

Lots of people can help without doing the actual racing.

gigabyte
January 10th, 2012, 17:02
I will be there again... been there for all the SOH races. Will check in the forum for the practice time. Going to invest in some hardware gauges... particularly GPS panel so I dont need sub windows open. :icon_lol:

Anyone can join the team.... yep we need fliers but also people who can recon the next landing strip and can provide weather and airport information. People can fly but not worry about the pressure of carrying the baton... by flying out 30 min ahead of the baton....and climbing to altitude to report cloud coverage, early weather warning and winds aloft at altitude.

Lots of people can help without doing the actual racing.

OK now this sounds like something I can surely help with, I am still having problems with the Duenna but I may get that worked out yet. Regardless I want to join in somewhere so I will bet the controllers tuned up this week and try to catch some stick time in MP ASAP.

warchild
January 12th, 2012, 12:53
So who wants to race???

falcon409
January 12th, 2012, 19:14
So who wants to race???

lol, lol

warchild
January 12th, 2012, 19:39
ok, so here we go.. Practice has been happening all week, but it isnt too late to join.. We've crossed europe, and asia and are in alaska at the moment with the US and africa still to come.. check out the RTWR forum for instructions on how to join in.. Join us on teamspeak too.. We dont bite.. I promise..
PamPS

,, and yes, i used that 737 for part odf the race.. sadly, it has a memory leak and crashed fsx twice ( but it looks so sweet for a tube ).

crashaz
January 13th, 2012, 21:48
Dropped in tonight for equipment check.

Duenna - Check
Teamspeak - Check

Tomorrow will do some daytime cross-country with GPS work mixed in with autopilot.
Will also practice climb to altitude.

Will work in with the 38 Lightning first as it is a fast but forgiving warplane.
In the following days will put some time in a P-51 and work up to the Piaggio. :icon_lol:

Will also install on my ASUS laptop so I can practice at night during the work week in Houston next week.

Good talking to everyone tonight on the Teamspeak server! :wavey:

crashaz
January 15th, 2012, 15:54
OK got the cockpit completed. Sure beats trying to use the mouse.

warchild
January 16th, 2012, 01:42
And i've got a plane :)..

If anyone wants this paint, theres only one way to get it. you gotta race... :)

falcon409
January 16th, 2012, 04:13
Nice paint Pam.

crashaz
January 16th, 2012, 19:08
Very nice!!
:applause:

Which plane is that? BTW do we have a P-51H now in FSX?

warchild
January 17th, 2012, 15:59
Thats the WBS P-51 Mk III from their fighter leader product. The P-51H is also being used, but its the original Airplane Factory P-51 from A2A for FS9.