PDA

View Full Version : email question

olaf1924
January 5th, 2012, 19:44
I need help concerning my email account. Today I learned some one is posting emails using my account name. The question I have is has this happened to any one out in soh land and how did you resolve it.

Astoroth
January 5th, 2012, 23:10
Change the password to your email account. Make it something not even remotely associated with your old password.

OBIO
January 6th, 2012, 09:36
Happened to me once....someone either hacked or cloned my old Yahoo e-mail account and sent suspicious e-mails to everyone in my contact list. The way I stopped that was to shut down that e-mail account and create a new account with a better e-mail service.

OBIO

SSI01
January 6th, 2012, 19:32
Same thing here. A change of the password took care of everything.

Devildog73
January 6th, 2012, 21:34
Password security 101: Make your password random series of UPPERlower123~!@ characters at least 12 to 15 long. To help you remember them without using the same one for every account switch the upper and lower case and number widgets such as.

email: AsDf1234%^&*aSdF
bank: aSdF%^&*1234AsDf
credit union: 1234%^&*ASdf

and so forth. For hints to remember without writing down the actual password, you write down; email: Upperlower#widgetlowerUpper / bank: lowerUpperwidget#Upperlower / CU: #widgetUUll

Since you are using the same keys and ONLY YOU know where you start and end, the hints are useless to anyone else.

You can even do this: zxcZXC098)(* / ZXCzxc)(*098 / zXcZxC0)9(8* and such. Then, after 6 months reverse the order or step up one row of keys or down one row of keys, start at 5 and go up or at 7 and go down. We all should be changing passwords at least twice a year and don't use the same password again for 2 years. If you follow this guideline, you will move up and down the keyboard and numbers in such a manner that you will not hit the same keys in the same order for 4 years just using the left side. If you then switch to the right side of the keyboard you make that 8 years before you hit the first set of passwords, IF you remember UPPER and lower case order you first used. For those of us that are memory challenged, this system works quite well. We just have to remember our starting key and order of Upper-lower shift key. Thus the hints.

Be safe folks.

What you don't want to do is use names and numbers associated with you or a member of your family. Like: David2SEP99 and such.

luckydog
January 6th, 2012, 21:38
Ditto on the password......