PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic: Converting WMV files to MP3 for iPod

Odie
January 4th, 2012, 08:52
Is anyone using a software pgm that will convert large numbers of WMV files to MP3 format? I want to pick up an iPod but 95% of my
music files are WMV. I was wondering if anyone had used a prgm that would convert large numbers of them at a time....like selecting
100 to convert and letting the prgm run.

OBIO
January 4th, 2012, 09:21
Any Video Converter is what I use to convert between the various video and audio formats. The free version will do it all. I have used if for a few years now and really like the program.

http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html

OBIO

napamule
January 4th, 2012, 18:32
So you are trying to 'strip' the music from a video (ie: *.wmv to *.mp3)? Or do you have your music in WAV format and want to convert to MP3? That would be DIFFERENT (but do-able). There are free programs to do both of these operations. Only, they would be different programs, as one can't do both (ie: video-to-mp3 OR wmv-to-mp3).

Since the advent of music videos being uploaded to YouTube, where people want to 'strip' the mp3 portion from video, there have been quite a few programs, and 'on the spot' conversion sites to do just that. Just be careful to read what is getting installed as most of the free programs also want to install 'Menu' items that are essentially a means to feed you adverts (pop-ups, etc).

I personally have shoped around and nothing beats Avs4you programs. Here is link (scroll down to last for audio editor). I personally own the AVS Video Converter and conver my WMV (Win's Movie Maker files) to DVD format to put on DVD for archive. Not expensive. Worth every penny. Link to the home page: http://www.avs4you.com/index.aspx . I only recommend them so as to save you headache of searching. Being there-done that. Good luck.
Chuck B
Napamule

napamule
January 5th, 2012, 20:49
Your own music, that is. If you need to RIP mp3's from CD (that too is a DIFFERENT ball game than just converting) then you will need to get 'Exact Audio Copy' (free) and 'LAME' mp3 encoder (free, sourceforge.net). Then go to MaximumPC magazine site (key 'bit.ly/7oQZQl' in browser) to read up their online guide on how to do all that stuff.
Chuck B
Napamule