PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Lights Question

idahosurge
January 2nd, 2012, 15:28
I have been told in a payware aircraft forum that navigation lights are on steady and the implication was on steady all the time, this was in reference to a business jet, I assume that GA and commercial jets would be the same.

I looked at the nav lights on the default Baron 58 and Lear 45, they are steady.

My Aerosoft F16 though has the nav lights flashing all the time. There is a switch for steady/flash, but that switch is inop.

My VRS FA18E has a switch to make the nav lights steady or flash. The VRS FA18E can actually flash the nav lights in different patterns to mean different things when coming in for a landing when your radios have failed.

So, are nav lights on commerical and GA aircraft on steady all the time and military aircraft can be steady or flashing depending on the circumstances?

racartron
January 2nd, 2012, 16:14
Not up to speed on fsX aircraft.cfg bits yet -- still waitung for my Christmas gift. But in fs9, under the lights section, navigation lights are designated as "3" while strobes are "2". It may be the developer called for his/her nav lights to be "2". Changing them to "3" will prevent flashing. A quick check would be to cycle the "O" key to see if they stop flashing.

Like I said, I don't have fsX installed yet so all of this could be absolute hog wash.

fsafranek
January 2nd, 2012, 22:00
So, are nav lights on commerical and GA aircraft on steady all the time and military aircraft can be steady or flashing depending on the circumstances?
That pretty much sums it up. Seems I've also seen where military can also dim them sometimes.
:ernae:

Victory103
January 3rd, 2012, 01:19
Just to give you an example of the lights in the UH-60. We have both bright/dim and steady/flash for the nav lights, and 2 color anti-collision lights (white for day/red for night) with individual control for both. On top of that we have an IR nav light mode for NVG flight, with selectable dimming on the formation light strips (slime lights). Most tactical aircraft like the Super Bug will have a master light switch that will turn off everything, much like you have seen in the VRS for ops around the boat (all lights on when ready on the cat, all off after you trap at night). You are correct on the different strobe patterns on the Hornet. Now getting FSX mimic this light config is another thing.

idahosurge
January 3rd, 2012, 11:58
That pretty much sums it up. Seems I've also seen where military can also dim them sometimes.
:ernae:

Thanks, I just wanted some confirmation.