PDA

View Full Version : MEMORY LANE MEIGS KCGX

beana51
January 2nd, 2012, 05:45
Who in our Sim world has not used MEIGS ,KCGX ?? it was an icon for Flight Simulator.
Well passing Time and change are the only constant things ya can count on!

On March 31, 2003, Mayor Daley ordered private crews to destroy the runway in the middle of the night, bulldozing large X-shaped gouges into the runway surface.

it was a DASTARDLY thing to do! http://s2.images.proboards.com/angry.gif..however in our Sim world it may be around for a long time!!....CHEERS Vin!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot1180.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot1177.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot1178.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
January 2nd, 2012, 06:00
used to fly there alot in the old Flightsim kind of miss it dont you

WarHorse47
January 2nd, 2012, 06:47
I grew up in Chicago. My Mom and I went to church every Sunday at a church not far from 'The Loop.' After services, she would give me her loose change. She would go back home, and I would head to the waterfront.

Sometimes I would walk through the Chicago Art Museum or stop by the Historical Museum. And there was Adler Planetarium and the Shed Aquarium.

The highlight of my afternoon was Meigs Field where I would stand outside fence on the North end and wait for an aircraft to land or take off. Quite a thrill as they passed just over my head by a few feet.

Afterwards I'd head back downtown to catch a bus or L-train, and head home for dinner. There was one time the wind was so cold coming off Lake Michigian, that I came back with cold feet and hands and aches in both ears.

Ahhh...., that was so long ago.
:ernae:
--WH

rhumbaflappy
January 2nd, 2012, 06:59
Hi WH.

Great story.

As a kid I went with the cub scouts and boy scouts on train rides to Chicago from Walworth, Wisconsin. We went to the loop area and visited the great museums, planetarium, and the waterfront. Good times. The 50s and 60s were a different world we'll never see again... but good memories.

Now... I would be to let kids out of my sight for a minute. Not only in Chicago, but even in small-town Wisconsin.

Dick

Roger
January 2nd, 2012, 14:21
I remember that here at the SOH we were alerted to this and someone provided an e-mail address for Mayor Daley's office and very many of us sent e-mails requesting that Meigs be left alone. Several days later we discovered that Daley had sent in bulldozers over night and carved Xs all along the runway. Some aircraft still there used taxiways to vacate Meigs. :angryfir:

Panther_99FS
January 2nd, 2012, 15:19
I was born in Chicago & grew up in the area.
Painful to no longer have Meigs around....

TARPSBird
January 2nd, 2012, 15:49
I'm pretty sure there are enough fans of Meigs in the flight sim world that we'll always have an add-on to put it back in any future sim.

Roadburner440
January 2nd, 2012, 17:08
I remember starting my Flight Sim career at Meigs Field since it used to be the default airport. I missed it a lot in FSX. I would like to point out though that I do have it back thanks to Aerosofts US Cities Chicago X. Might I add it is definately a beaut. Long live Meigs Field!! http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,6022096390,D11183 Can't wait for Detroit to hit the streets.. Hoping at some point they decide to do Jacksonville & Norfolk.

Dain Arns
January 3rd, 2012, 01:52
I remember that here at the SOH we were alerted to this and someone provided an e-mail address for Mayor Daley's office and very many of us sent e-mails requesting that Meigs be left alone. Several days later we discovered that Daley had sent in bulldozers over night and carved Xs all along the runway. Some aircraft still there used taxiways to vacate Meigs. :angryfir:

Yep. Story was posted here.
I remember sending an email from that.
It was through the 'Friends of Meigs Field' if I remember.
http://friendsofmeigs.org/

And if memory serves right, their was a Fire and Coast Guard helicopter rescue station there that was closed down as well, that has been sorely missed over the years. :kilroy:

yank51
January 3rd, 2012, 02:33
Yeah, I don't think ANYONE who has flown any of the MS Flight Sims could forget Meigs Field, period. We all cut our teeth there I'll bet....:salute:

GarryRussell
January 3rd, 2012, 05:06
Starting the new sim for the first time, it was always exciting to see the latest version of Meigs and that, with the new default aircraft, instantly gave some impression of how far the latest Sim had improved.

av8erjm
January 3rd, 2012, 05:21
And that was Chicago politics at it's best or should I say worst

rhumbaflappy
January 3rd, 2012, 06:13
Actually, I think the problem was Homeland Security.

The cost to the city to upgrade the field and provide security was too much. After the phone calls, emails and threats, Daly took a page from his dad's school of thought and just ended the problem. He saved Chicago tens of millions of dollars... maybe more in the long run. It's sad to have Meigs go, but it was the prudent decision for the city.

Now they only need the Bears offense to get it together for a playoff run next year.

Dick

brad kaste
January 3rd, 2012, 06:36
All what I know it was a very sorry and sad day in Chicago's history when Daley had the destruction trucks/bulldozers roll into Meigs Field one cold, March night.

pilottj
January 3rd, 2012, 13:06
As a fan of the Blues and of aviation, Chicago lost two important treasures in the old Maxwell Street marketplace and Meigs during Mr Daley's watch.

WarHorse47
January 3rd, 2012, 15:55
As a fan of the Blues and of aviation, Chicago lost two important treasures in the old Maxwell Street marketplace and Meigs during Mr Daley's watch.Ohh, man. I didn't know that.

Once again a flashback. It was 1973, I believe. Although I was traveling for my job then, I went back to Chicago to visit family. While there we went to Maxwell Street to find a suit for my upcoming wedding. My Step-Mother frequented Maxwell Street, so she knew most the merchants and where to go for the best threads and tailor.

--WH

Trans_23
January 4th, 2012, 16:51
Ohh, man. I didn't know that.

Once again a flashback. It was 1973, I believe. Although I was traveling for my job then, I went back to Chicago to visit family. While there we went to Maxwell Street to find a suit for my upcoming wedding. My Step-Mother frequented Maxwell Street, so she knew most the merchants and where to go for the best threads and tailor.

--WH
At least the Polish sausage stands are still around. Like White Castle's, they are the sandwiches that keep on giving long after you have eaten them. :applause:

WarHorse47
January 5th, 2012, 04:39
At least the Polish sausage stands are still around. Like White Castle's, they are the sandwiches that keep on giving long after you have eaten them. :applause:
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

--WH

TARPSBird
January 5th, 2012, 14:58
Whatever part of Chicago you visit, you'll never go hungry. So many great restaurants and food choices, you could dine out every night of the week for a year and there'd be plenty more places to hit. :)