PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

LouP
January 1st, 2012, 08:42
So I tried to take a flight yesterday after taking a FSX break :running: for a bit and my Carenado aircraft have since become transaprent. :mixedsmi: I did a quick search here but did not come across anything. Anyone else have this happen and is there a fix?

LouP :kilroy:

falcon409
January 1st, 2012, 08:47
Now that is weird LouP. . . . .I had the same problem yesterday with several of my airplanes (The Aerosoft OV-10 and IRIS Silence Twister). I had been bumbling through a slight learning curve with "Ultimate Defrag" and at first thought something had gotten lost in the translation, lol. But then I looked at the "in-sim" display settings and unchecked "aircraft casts shadows on self" and everything went back the way it should be. Thus far I haven't had the problem show up again.:salute:

Ferry_vO
January 1st, 2012, 08:53
Now that is weird LouP. . . . .I had the same problem yesterday with several of my airplanes (The Aerosoft OV-10 and IRIS Silence Twister)..

Hmmm.... the Twister turned almost black on my system a few days ago.. Sometimes even the entire screen!

What add-ons have you installed recently? The last two did were tyhe OV-10 and the Orbx Bowerman field.

falcon409
January 1st, 2012, 09:20
Hmmm.... the Twister turned almost black on my system a few days ago.. Sometimes even the entire screen! . . . . . .
There have been several (including me) with the same problem that have posted on the IRIS Support Forum for the Twister. There is a hotfix that was released (ver 1.5) so if you don't have it, you might try that. David was looking at the fact that the larger texture files (4096x4096) might be draining the resources on some older graphics cards, but I don't think anything has been decided yet.:salute:

LouP
January 1st, 2012, 10:37
Well, my cast shadows was not checked so I checked it but still had the issue, unchecked it still have the issue. I installed some new ORBX scenery that I picked up on sale but that's never been an issue before.

LouP

Daube
January 1st, 2012, 11:09
Another proof that the FSX engine is too old: it still uses the Mayan calendar, no surprise it doesn't work anymore in 2012 :icon_lol:
Sorry for that joke.
LouP, have you checked if nothing has been updated on your computer ? Stuff like Windows Update or something like that...

LouP
January 1st, 2012, 15:32
Yea, lots of updates since last time I used FSX. I am going to try DX9 and see what happens there. I may even try rolling back my nVidia drivers.

LouP

LouP
January 1st, 2012, 16:55
OK, I never thought I would feel this way about a flight siim but I've just about had it with this FSX c%$^p. Now I am getting fatal errors and it just plain won't run smooth at all. I haven't used the program in months and there is no reason it should have just broke like this. Call me crazy but I wouldn't put it past MS to have destroyed it on purpose with one of their little updates to force us to buy Flight.

It's OK though because I received a Spektrum DX8 for Christmas and I have a MCPx and Phoenix flight sim coming on Tuesday that should keep me plenty busy. I just wish I realized it was broke before I went out and purchased all this ORBX stuff on sale.

LouP :ipepsi2: :gameoff::tgun2: "FSX" :tgun2: "FLIGHT" "Microsoft":sniper:

modelr
January 1st, 2012, 18:50
OK, I never thought I would feel this way about a flight siim but I've just about had it with this FSX c%$^p. Now I am getting fatal errors and it just plain won't run smooth at all. I haven't used the program in months and there is no reason it should have just broke like this. Call me crazy but I wouldn't put it past MS to have destroyed it on purpose with one of their little updates to force us to buy Flight.

It's OK though because I received a Spektrum DX8 for Christmas and I have a MCPx and Phoenix flight sim coming on Tuesday that should keep me plenty busy. I just wish I realized it was broke before I went out and purchased all this ORBX stuff on sale.

LouP :ipepsi2: :gameoff::tgun2: "FSX" :tgun2: "FLIGHT" "Microsoft":sniper:

Lou,

Now you got me worried.
Haven't fired up FSX for over a week. Going to have to try it tomorrow.

You'll like that DX8. Love mine. 10 models on it so far. Still learning what it can do. Just feels right in my hands. Suggestion... get the lipo battery for it asap. Lectron Pro makes one specifically for it. The charging change is built in, done in the settings.

Daube
January 2nd, 2012, 01:18
My Windows is up to date and my FSX runs flawlessly.
But yes, blaming MS is easier.

RobM
January 2nd, 2012, 05:24
This is an interesting thread. My pc is old, but FSX was working reasonably well.
Then about one week ago I started getting fatal errors every time the REX2
weather engine loads with FSX. It doesn't happen with the weather engine turned
off. I re-installed REX2, but still get the problem which suggests something changed
in my FSX install.

Like others, I've been taking advantage of all the sales, including the Iris Twister.
But I got other stuff as well.

It did start about a week to a week and a half before Christmas, so I don't think
it could be some kind of internal date clock problem involving the year change.

Oh well, maybe I'll try uninstalling some of the new downloads and/or running
the FSX fix-it program.

If anyone learns enything, please post.

Thanks - Rob

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 06:09
My Windows is up to date and my FSX runs flawlessly.
But yes, blaming MS is easier.

I am glad yours is working fine and appoligize if my rant alarmed anyone. I was half serious when I did this and was chuckling at the time but then again, the other half of me IS serious. I have a lot of programs and games on my PC from BF3 to Trainz12 to FSX and NONE of them behave as poorly as FSX. I am sorry but there is something seriously flawed with this program. I am in no way expecting a fix but it says something about the programer/distributer, doesn't it. I know it was written years ago but supposedly it was written years ago to run on the computers of today (at least that's what they told us). Well it's today and guess what, the program still doesn't work in my book. I am not looking for sympathy or even a response, just doing some more venting. I would like it to work correctly but I am tired of putting so much effort into just keeping it running.

I'll keep checking in and if a fix pops up short of a complete re-install, I may give it a go when I have the time.

If I really need the feel to use a flight sim, I still have my FS9 install to fall back on.

BTW, my FSX is the lone install on a 240 gb SSD and my OS is on a 120gb SSD. My specs are an i7 930 running at 3 gig with 12 gb of RAM. Don't know what more I can do hardware wise.

LouP

Daube
January 2nd, 2012, 06:18
I am glad yours is working fine and appoligize if my rant alarmed anyone. I was half serious when I did this and was chuckling at the time but then again, the other half of me IS serious. I have a lot of programs and games on my PC from BF3 to Trainz12 to FSX and NONE of them behave as poorly as FSX. I am sorry but there is something seriously flawed with this program. I am in no way expecting a fix but it says something about the programer/distributer, doesn't it. I know if was written years ago but supposedly it was written years ago to run on the computers of today (at least that's what they told us). Well it's today and guess what, the program still doesn't work in my book. I am not looking for sympathy or even a response, just doing some more venting. I would like it to work correctly but I am tired of putting so much effort into just keeping it running.

I'll keep checking in and if a fix pops up short of a complete re-install, I may give it a go when I have the time.

If I really need the feel to use a flight sim, I still have my FS9 install to fall back on.

BTW, my FSX is the lone install on a 240 gb SSD and my OS is on a 120gb SSD. My specs are an i7 930 running at 3 gig with 12 gb of RAM. Don't know what more I can do hardware wise.

LouP

Sorry LouP, as English is not my native language, it's sometimes difficult for me to understand the real meanings/intentions/feelings behind some sentences or remarks.
I agree with you that FSX is seriously irritating due to how instable it is.
However, the experience finally tought me how to identify the major sources of instability:
- the famous uiautomationcore.dll
- the bufferpools
- third party programs/gauges

Now, if I understood correctly, your FSX was working fine last time you used it a long time ago, then when you wanted to try it again you got all those crashes and transparent textures.
What you are describing is making me think about the video card drivers that were surely updated in the meanwhile.
And if the drivers were changes, then most likely the video settings in the FSX profile have been reset, which might be linked to your issues.
What video card do you have ?

Also, in the past, did you modify your FSX.cfg file, and what kind of modifications were done ? And finally: are those modifications still there ?

skyhawka4m
January 2nd, 2012, 06:20
Seems to me I ha this issue last night again as well.....the only thing I see common in all our issues is the AEROSFT OV-10 and FSX. I've been unning FSX with no issues like planes that are clear or missing parts before. I hate to cast a negative shadow on such a great plane but it has me seriously wondering.

XLR8
January 2nd, 2012, 06:29
I love FSX to death,but until anther sim come along thats as adaptable and pretty simple to use ,I have no choice. But the game is finicky to say the least.I can run FSX most of the time on max settings with frame rates in the 60 to 80 range as long as its in DX preview. DX9 just don't work anymore,and thats a shame as there are hundreds of dollars worth of addons I have that are now useless. My issue (as I found out ) is the way graphics cards drivers are now catering to DX,DX11 and not DX9.

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 07:26
Hi Daube,

I have a GTX480 and the video drivers were updated to the latest nVidia drivers when I purchased BF3 which is a DX11 game but I believe I was using FSX OK after that upgrade. I may roll back the drivers and try that but I hate to break something else. The other odd thing going on is that when I was trying to use FSX the other day I was getting the gauge warnings on aircraft that I am pretty sure have already been used before and I did not understanding why the warnings were popping up. I have not changed my FSX.cfg file as I have a unique hardware set-up with all my Saitek radios and what not. I would hate to have re-configure everything. Again, everything was working great a month or two ago.

It sounds like a lot of people are experiencing new issues lately.

LouP

Daube
January 2nd, 2012, 07:29
The gauge warnings are the sign that your FSX.cfg has been replaced and regenerated.
As a consequence, you lost all the content of the [Trusted] section, which normally contains the list of gauges that you have confirmed.

I'm pretty sure that if you take a look into your FSX.cfg, you will not recongize its content, and all the tweaks you had written in it in the past are gone.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2012, 07:29
. . . . .The other odd thing going on is that when I was trying to use FSX the other day I was getting the gauge warnings on aircraft that I am pretty sure have already been used before and I did not understanding why the warnings were popping up. . . . . . .LouP
Have you gotten one that says something to the effect that the "GPS Engine cannot be found/loaded"?

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 08:27
Hi Falcon,

No, I have not gotten that one yet. Should I be expecting it next time I use FSX? :mixedsmi: This is almost comical.

LouP

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 08:35
Well Daube,

You may be on to something. I did not consider this as all my hardware was still working so I ruled out the possibility of a replacement fsx.cfg being loaded. I decided to go check it out anyway just now and while my old tweaks are still in there, somehow two more display sections were added and at the incorrect resolution. WTF!! I removed those extranous display sections and will test things out laster tonight. This is good, a dynamic cfg file that changes when you don't want it to. :applause:

Sorry for the sarcasm.

LouP

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 08:42
PS. Just went back again and found two more [Dispay] sections so maybe the fourth one to get added was the straw that broke the camel's back.

LouP

LouP
January 2nd, 2012, 09:13
Lou,

Now you got me worried.
Haven't fired up FSX for over a week. Going to have to try it tomorrow.

You'll like that DX8. Love mine. 10 models on it so far. Still learning what it can do. Just feels right in my hands. Suggestion... get the lipo battery for it asap. Lectron Pro makes one specifically for it. The charging change is built in, done in the settings.

Hey modelr,

Was meaning to ask about the lipos, they make that big of a difference? Also, my long term goal is to be able to handle a 450 to 700 size heli but I may get some "planks" just for some fun, also. I'm all new to this and was wondering if you had some suggestions on some starter aircraft. My understanding is that the Phoenix program while great for the helis, also has airplanes in it so I could also practice those in the program.

Thanks,
LouP

RobM
January 2nd, 2012, 10:15
Well, I found the "bug" that was killing the REX2 Weather engine in my FSX install:
a little Aerosoft add on called "Vistamare". It came with their Gibralatar X I purchased
over Christmas at one of their sales. It's apparently what Aerosoft uses to add vehicle
traffic to some of their scenaries.

I remember now seeing the pop-up asking if I wanted to authorize, and saying yes
because I wanted the traffic. I should have googled Vistamare first.

You can tell if it's installed by looking in your root fsx folder down among the folders
starting with "V". Or if you are in flight in FSX, click the Alt button to bring up the
options bar up top, look on the far right of the bar in the add ons tab, and see if
Vistamare shows up in there.

The results (fatal error when Rex2 loads with Vstamare, and no fatal error without)
seem to be completely replicable.

In all fairness to Vistamare, I have so much FSX stuff on my machine, it could be
Vistamare with REX2 plus half-dozen other things in combination that`s causing the
problem. But since I want real weather world wide more than cars on Gibraltar roads,
Vistamare will have to go.

Just fyi for anyone else.

Thanks - Rob

robcap
January 2nd, 2012, 12:26
Could here ---http://forum.avsim.net/topic/277524-invisible-aircraft-problem-fsx/ be the answer?
I don't have the problem ,but I read this on a Dutch forum last week.

Cheers, R.