PDA

View Full Version : Fonts; Government Issue, era 1940 (ish)

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 15:04
Can anyone tell me where I can find the most authentic, Military, Naval, stencil type font? Free preferably. :salute:

N2056
December 29th, 2011, 15:11
I have a USAF font, not sure if it would help. Be careful looking for free ones out there. I've been attacked by those fake anti-virus sites looking for fonts more than once!

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 15:24
Thanks Rob.

Since my posting this I'm finding that a simple "stencil' font request is not simple. I've learned that there were different font's, for different branches. And different fonts for each branch as the years succeeded. Oh boy! So much for a simple request. LOL!

I'll be more specific. NAVY/1940 (ish)

I found a few on simmers paintshop, though not quite right.

timghetta
December 29th, 2011, 15:44
Remember the US ARMY was the AIR FORCE until they became their own branch in 1947.

for the USAF it's this one: "AUSAFPMR.ttf" aka "AmarilloUSAFPro"
the Navy is this one: "longburg.ttf" aka "Long BeachUSN"
for a good military stencil font, try this one. "MDMilSR.ttf" aka "MDMilitaryStencilA" they might cost money, I have had it for almost 10 years now.

Hope that can help you,
Tim

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 15:56
Thank you for the help, Tim. I'm currently headed in a direction of the flightsim/ real world era of repainting I have never had a relationship with. So, I am as the paint on the wall it is put upon. Right now, I'm a dry sponge waiting to get wet and become of usefulness. So anyone who gives me guidance, I'm listening with open eyes :)

AussieMan
December 29th, 2011, 17:03
Have you looked here mate?

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/dlcat-military-fonts-19/

Found some good one there for my repaints.

airattackimages
December 29th, 2011, 17:15
Remember the US ARMY was the AIR FORCE until they became their own branch in 1947.
Actually... It's the other way around ;) :p

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 17:18
I have. Yessiree. Thank you. I got the stencil type, but there's one that is used for smaller wording that's not the stencil form that I'm seeking currently.

AussieMan
December 29th, 2011, 17:40
I have. Yessiree. Thank you. I got the stencil type, but there's one that is used for smaller wording that's not the stencil form that I'm seeking currently.

Sometimes when I need a different size font to what is available I create the word/number in a size close to what I need then copy it and make a selection the size I want and paste into that. That is what I have had to do with some of my Mustang repaints, especially the numbers '565' on the nose of one I have done.

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 17:49
There are lots of tricks that's for sure. Hand drawing the vectors have caught me busy for an insane amount of hours! And this is suppose to be a hobby to have fun, and relax. LOL!

AussieMan
December 29th, 2011, 17:52
There are lots of tricks that's for sure. Hand drawing the vectors have caught me busy for an insane amount of hours! And this is suppose to be a hobby to have fun, and relax. LOL!

:applause: :jump: :jump: :applause: or cause you to consume many of these :icon29::icon29: :)

OleBoy
December 29th, 2011, 17:56
Nah, I've been told the sugar is bad for your teeth.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4517/teevw8.jpg

crashaz
December 29th, 2011, 22:50
+2 for LongBeachUSN

Robert John
April 28th, 2012, 06:44
"OleBoy
Nah, I've been told the sugar is bad for your teeth."

I
Like your artwork very much. ROFLMAO.