PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland F2G's Together Again

Bomber_12th
December 28th, 2011, 13:56
Yesterday, at Falcon Field, AZ, the historic F2G Super Corsair Race #57 and the historic F2G Super Corsair Race #74 were reuinited for a very special air and ground photo-shoot. Early-photos are just starting to be posted to the internet, and it sounds like a few magazines will have photos/story published in the near future. Both aircraft were restored by Bob Odegaard/Odegaard Aviation, with Race 57 currently owned by Ron Pratt, and Race 74 owned by Thomas Ungurean. Pilots were Bob Odegaard in Race 74, and Larry Perkins in Race 57.

Early look provided here:
http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=9737

and here:
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42599&start=60

stansdds
December 28th, 2011, 14:26
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause:

Daveroo
December 28th, 2011, 17:23
i didnt read anything on the links...but ron pratt never shows anything...shame he would own one..this will probably be the first and last time we see it until he sells it.i wonder how many planes he owns...i watched barrett-jackson when he bought a ford tri-motor....but i think he has sold it?...dont know

andersel
December 28th, 2011, 17:53
Oooooh! REALLY BIG roung engines.

Bomber_12th
December 28th, 2011, 19:52
i didnt read anything on the links...but ron pratt never shows anything...shame he would own one..this will probably be the first and last time we see it until he sells it.i wonder how many planes he owns...i watched barrett-jackson when he bought a ford tri-motor....but i think he has sold it?...dont know

Dave, that is not entirely true, but is the common opinion amongst many unfortunately. He is a private owner, thus of course it is his right to keep the planes to himself, if he desires. However, his P-51D "Red Dog" for instance, was one of the star attractions at a few fly-ins this year and last, in the Casa Grande area - so if you were there, you would have seen it, and seen it flying besides. Ron Pratt's warbirds do fly, and fly routinely throughout the year, but never stray too far from home base, but the same can be said of large museum organizations too, such as the Flying Heritage Collection. As commented upon in one of those threads, Ron keeps his aircraft maintained at the highest level of quality, and flown by individuals that are skilled and experienced to do so - you can't really ask for anything more, especially when considering what's best for the preservation of the aircraft.

Here is a great interview with Larry Perkins, the chief pilot of Ron Pratt's F2G Super Corsair and P-51D, as well as numerous photos of these aircraft at and around their current home: http://evanflys.com/larry_perkins

Daveroo
December 29th, 2011, 07:44
well bomber..that makes me feel a bit better towards Mr Pratt,when it comes to the airplanes atleast....but his cars are off limits.....unless maybe you are a tv station and can pay him alot of money to show a 20 second clip...mike joy once said of him..."as well as i know him,,ive never been allowed to see his colection,i dont have enough power"