PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a sports car. Ideas?

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 03:50
Due to losing my buddy Chief, I am going to look into buying a different car. I bought my Chevy 2008 HHR LT Panel new, specifically to carry Chief. It was perfect for that, and I even had a memory foam mattress for him in the back.

But now I want to get something smaller, more sporty.

Am thinking about maybe a sports car. Used, of course.

Any suggestions?

Was looking at the Pontiac Solstice, but it didn't have very good reviews.

NC

IanHenry
December 28th, 2011, 04:17
Easy, a Morgan:
http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/

Regards,
Ian,

hey_moe
December 28th, 2011, 04:20
I brought my daughter one of those ( Solstice ) It was fast but high maintance...lol.As far as I am concerned sports cars are nice for toys, but none are dependable. Most sports cars have sports suspension which is fine for cornering but bumpy as hell.If you get hit in the front it will never be right again.Most of the high dollar ones call for premium gas and also your insurance premium goes up. If it is a import it is higher. On top of that you do not get a tax break either. The wife has had quite a few of them and I didn't care for any of them. To small, bumpy, got tired of shifting, on a trip no room for luggage. Most are only two seaters. Some of the rims on the high dollar bad boys are the ones that the tires sit low to the ground. If ya get a flat it takes out the rim sometimes. Part two of that is the tires are a tad bit on the high side. I have never brought a used one but if ya think about it most of the used ones have been run to death. I don't think you will find a used one that a little old lady drove it..lol. Been there and done it. Good luck...Mike

Brian_Gladden
December 28th, 2011, 04:29
One word.... Mustang.

Reliable and while some have been beat on, buying one from a responsible older owner should land you a pretty nice ride. Even the later model V-6 Mustangs are pretty peppy.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 04:58
Easy, a Morgan:
http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/

Regards,
Ian,

Very nice! But unfortunately, more than a little beyond my ability to afford!

Pete

TeaSea
December 28th, 2011, 05:00
Narrow it down a bit there Pete....

Looking for roadster or something with 4 seats....new or used?

CP1207
December 28th, 2011, 05:10
If you can fit in it, look at a Miata. 20+ years of models available, reliable, fun as heck to drive (although could use a few more HP).
Have to treat it like you are riding a cycle, no one sees you.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 05:33
Would like a 2-seater, used, sports car, convertible.

Miatas are something I will look at. As mentioned, they have been around for quite a while.

The max speed limit, here on Sanibel, is 35. And I'll be driving on-island more than off. But for the times I am off-island, I would like something with a little pep too!

Pete

stansdds
December 28th, 2011, 05:35
Mazda Miata is a lot bang for the buck. Probably the best deal in sports cars. I lost my yearning for a sports car long ago. I prefer the utility and ease of entry into and exit from an SUV or pickup truck.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 05:47
Mazda Miata is a lot bang for the buck. Probably the best deal in sports cars. I lost my yearning for a sports car long ago. I prefer the utility and ease of entry into and exit from an SUV or pickup truck.

The closest I ever got to owning a sports car, was a 2005 VW GTI, with a 1.8L Turbo engine. It was fast! And I am not opposed to getting another one, but I do not like the body style change (specifically the grill) after 2005. They ruined it.

Pete

TuFun
December 28th, 2011, 06:42
As some said, Miata is a good choice. The only sports car I ever owned was a '69 Fiat 124 Spyder without the hood humps. Love that car. With its twin overhead cams, aluminum heads with headers, five speed aluminum trans, four wheel disc brakes, and came with a removal hardtop. All this in 1969.

wombat666
December 28th, 2011, 07:05
Here you go Chief, two seats, lots of grunt and tons of 'extra' space. :jump:

If you want a 'Sports Car' then go for a Miata [aka 'Mid Life Crisis Mobile'] that is no older than 2005/2006.
The US doesn't make 'Sports Cars' except for the Corvette BTW.
I'd be interested to see how the MX5 would go if Mazda had the sense to stuff the 2.5L Turbo that is fitted to their Mazda 3 SS .............. :kilroy:

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 07:07
Here you go Chief, two seats, lots of grunt and tons of 'extra' space. :jump:

If you want a 'Sports Car' then go for a Miata [aka 'Mid Life Crisis Mobile'] that is no older than 2005/2006.
The US doesn't make 'Sports Cars' except for the Corvette BTW.
I'd be interested to see how the MX5 would go if Mazda had the sense to stuff the 2.5L Turbo that is fitted to their Mazda 3 SS .............. :kilroy:

Speaking just for myself, I would just get into trouble if I get another car that is turbo-equipped. Having the Chevy HHR I currently drive, has forced me to slow down!! Pete

Daveroo
December 28th, 2011, 07:59
i like this one......many more good ones here...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/used-cars/for-sale/2003_BMW_Z4/VIN_4USBT33413LS48125/?uid=-7416870416634218117&make=&model=&page=4

Cazzie
December 28th, 2011, 08:15
If I were going old age crazy, I'd go for the Miata too NC. But whose to say you won't be getting a Chief, Jr. down the road. :ernae:

I had this fellow for a long time, but had to sell it as impractical when I got married. They are fun, but really not every day automobiles. And regardless of brand, other than the Miata perhaps, all require more maintenance than your standard sedan or coupe.

Caz

OBIO
December 28th, 2011, 08:25
My neighbor has a Pontiac Solstice. Beautiful car. It may have 2500 miles on it...but most likely less (she has a 97 Camero with less than 9500 miles on it...she doesn't drive her cars a lot). The starter went out on it...took 5 months to find a starter for it and it set her back nearly $500 for the starter (no including labor to install it). I would avoid the Solstice unless you have very deep pockets for parts and a second vehicle to drive while parts for the Solstice are being tracked down.

I would stick with the HHR.....I know that right now your heart is broken from losing Chieft, but there is always a chance that a new puppy could come into your life. Besides, the HHR is one cool looking vehicle (especially in the panel van configuration you have) and is much more usable than a sports car.

OBIO

brad kaste
December 28th, 2011, 08:26
My sister had a Mazda Miata for many years. It was her main means of transportation in Iowa and Chicago. It ran great and never let her down. And that's for a person who just put gas in the tank....definitely a double thumbs up to the Miata.<label for="rb_iconid_14">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.png</label><label for="rb_iconid_14">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.png</label>

Willy
December 28th, 2011, 10:03
One word...... Jeep

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 10:03
As much as I loved Chief, I want to wait a while before getting another dog (IF I get another dog).

There are places I want to visit, i.e. Germany again, (Prowler - in Ecuador!), and many other places. With a dog, it isn't easy to leave home. I can find someone to take care of my cat, Twist though.

I read about paying for passage overseas on a cargo ship. I am going to check that out!!!

Plus, I can still fly Space A on military aircraft.......

Pete

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 10:05
One word...... Jeep

Also a possibility, but more than likely an old one; just to drive on the island. The sports car would be for all trips off-island; or, as I commonly say, "overseas".

Pete

Ferry_vO
December 28th, 2011, 11:50
Honda S2000 or Mazda RX8 perhaps?

papab
December 28th, 2011, 11:59
Pick up a BMW Z3-Used
They started production on that model in the late 90's-Should be able to get one for a good price
Very reliable car and real fun to drive-They did not offer roll bars until the 97/98 model

My wife owned two Z3's and then moved into Z4's(two of them!)

She is now driving a BMW 335i-2009

Remember Navy Chief, you are now in Florida and can drive year round with the top down!

Wife loved to drive over the Skyway Bridge here in Tampa with the top down ( the cars, not hers!!)

Rick

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2011, 12:01
Honda S2000 or Mazda RX8 perhaps?

Oooh.....I DO like the looks of the Honda S2000! I've had Hondas before, and they've been very dependable!

Pete

rdaniell
December 28th, 2011, 12:10
If you can fit in it, look at a Miata. 20+ years of models available, reliable, fun as heck to drive (although could use a few more HP).
Have to treat it like you are riding a cycle, no one sees you.

I concur with this suggestion. Had one and drove it for about 10 years. Insurance premiums did not go up very much either. Mine really held its resale value also. Got rid of mine to buy a truck so I could haul "Belle" around in. She was a English Pointer. Great hunting dog. I still miss her. I quit quail hunting when she died so I feel your pain Navy Chief.

Romeo-Delta

PRB
December 28th, 2011, 12:21
Have to agree with Willy's idea of a "sports car", hehe.

An old friend of mine had a Fiat X-19. I learned more about working on cars from that thing than any other car in my life. That's good for me, but a sad commentary on the Fiat X-19, in general... Old girl friend had a bright red Mazda Miata. It's teeny tiny, like she was. She liked it. I have no more data to add on those. If somebody forced me to buy a sports car tomorrow, I'd get one of those new Dodge Chargers. Is that a sports car? :icon_lol:

Jwcfly
December 28th, 2011, 14:12
Hi Chief

I sincerely hope that the roads in your area are better than here where I am in Michigan. Surely they cannot be worse.

So, if I may, I nominate the GM F bodies, the Camaro Z-28 and Trans Am. I owned a 74 Z-28, a 78 Trans Am, and an 84 Z-28. Big doors making entry and egress easy, plenty of tranny/engine combos, lots of parts available, able to be worked on by almost any competent mechanic, generous 2+2 seating, decent storage room, t-tops or convertibles, great ride and handling. You can drive them cross-country without getting beat up. The ride in the T/A was especially comfortable.

No matter what anyone says, my '78 T/A, with Pontiac 400, Hurst 4-speed, t-tops, Martinique Blue with the Screamin' Chicken on the hood, was a great chick magnet.

I did live in Sarasota for a number of years, and the combination of power and handling came in handy more often than one may realize.

Lots of F bodies available in the southern part of Florida, too.

No matter what you choose, Chief, have fun shopping.

All the Best
Jay Costello

Kiwikat
December 28th, 2011, 14:26
No matter what anyone says, my '78 T/A, with Pontiac 400, Hurst 4-speed, t-tops, Martinique Blue with the Screamin' Chicken on the hood, was a great chick magnet.
:barf::barf::barf:

+1 on the S2000. I've always thought of it as a grown up miata.

kilo delta
December 28th, 2011, 15:38
To be a true sportscar it's got to be rwd,2 seats and with a decent amount of poke. The Miata/MX5 is a good choice,but I'd go for a Porsche Boxster or even a 996 or possibly a 997 911 myself. These cars are becoming very affordable now.

AckAck
December 28th, 2011, 16:00
To be a true sportscar it's got to be rwd,2 seats and with a decent amount of poke.

I've got a nice shiny red '92 Prelude if you'd like - meets all those qualifications except 3. Rear seats exist for insurance purposes only, so could "stretch" it to meet one. Only leaks oil when running, could cut the roof off if you want a roadster, could slap a turbocharger on it if you want some power. Does a power-on slide if you're in reverse. :mixedsmi:

TacomaSailor
December 28th, 2011, 17:13
Updated Lotus Super 7 / Caterham chassis with a supercharged GM 3800 V-6 - 1510 pounds 320 HP 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds

My brother built a beautiful example and might now be willing to sell - he is a craftsman and it is better built than any production car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdking

shows the current state of the car all the way back to the bare chassis and a thousand small parts

rayrey10
December 28th, 2011, 17:29
Here ya go NC...for the bargain price of $130k you get 340 ponies, and can do from 0-60 in 3 seconds. That means that you can go from the causeway in Sanibel to the tip of Captiva in .15 seconds :icon_lol:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?61205-340-hp-Donkervoort-D8-GTO

Javis
December 28th, 2011, 17:45
What you need is something special, Pete, something classic, something that'll make your heart overflow with love whenever you'll open up your garage door, cause this car is alive ! It has a heart and a soul ! Believe me, i know, once i was the proud owner of a 1952 MG TD...

My heart skips a beat only by looking at this picture...

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/50MGTD1.jpg

Lots for sale in the US too, ranging from aprox $6/7000 to $30/35000.

Hey, you only live once, right !? :wiggle:

stiz
December 28th, 2011, 18:37
you guys have no taste in cars! :engel016:

the prefect car - http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti_b/5481804461/ and you'd never been caught speeding :icon_lol:

Naki
December 29th, 2011, 01:30
+1 another here for the MX-5 (Miata)...great handling and should be reliable. Would have one myself if didnt have family to haul around. The S2000 would be my second choice...better performance (when revved to hell) but doesnt handle as well as the MX-5. If you can afford it the Porsche Boxster is the best roofless sports car bar none but (in NZ anyway) servicing it can be very expensive unless you buy a new one.

Navy Chief
December 29th, 2011, 01:43
Updated Lotus Super 7 / Caterham chassis with a supercharged GM 3800 V-6 - 1510 pounds 320 HP 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds

My brother built a beautiful example and might now be willing to sell - he is a craftsman and it is better built than any production car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdking

shows the current state of the car all the way back to the bare chassis and a thousand small parts

Something tells me the price tag would be quite steep..... But looks nice!

Pete

Navy Chief
December 29th, 2011, 01:46
What you need is something special, Pete, something classic, something that'll make your heart overflow with love whenever you'll open up your garage door, cause this car is alive ! It has a heart and a soul ! Believe me, i know, once i was the proud owner of a 1952 MG TD...

My heart skips a beat only by looking at this picture...

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/50MGTD1.jpg

Lots for sale in the US too, ranging from aprox $6/7000 to $30/35000.

Hey, you only live once, right !? :wiggle:

Am MG TD has always been my "dream" car. Always. But even if I did find one to buy (within my financial capability), I would constantly worry about maintaining it. It's not something I can run down to the corner auto parts store for replacement parts. But thanks for the picture. If I could afford one, and keep it running,.......THAT is the car I would want! Pete

wombat666
December 29th, 2011, 02:17
Chief, all the post war MG series were easy to maintain, real 'Shade Tree Mechanic' cars.
I owned a TC, TF1250 and a TF1500, cut my motoring teeth an a Morgan JAP three wheeler and moved on with a TC.
Word to the wise, DO NOT go near any Caterham 'Clone' that is over engined, my brother runs one with Toyota Corolla 20V and I built a Lightweight powered by a Honda Firebrand, the 'Caterblade' would run almost everything into the ground up to 110MPH, admittedly, it was a track car but street legal.
As for a BMW, my wife runs an M3+ and due to family circumstances, we ended up with an X5 SUV [I HATE any SUV!].
Unless you are prepared to pay for 'Dealer Service' you should avoid them.
Josie's M3 is a great car but she is an MD and can well afford to drive what she likes.

I'd still go with a Miata or a Honda S2000, closest you can get to a modern MG T series, or maybe the last series Toyota MR2, a cracker little car and a quite uncompromising 'Sports Car'.

:ernae:

TeaSea
December 29th, 2011, 05:02
I like grunau baby's little Fiat!

I can't fit in it.....but I like it.

Same for the Miata....always loved 'em. Can't get the hood secured when I'm sitting in it (over 6'2") though. Like that MG also....I've always had a soft spot for roadsters but have never fit in any of them except the Mercedes.

Ferry_vO
December 29th, 2011, 09:25
The Merc SLK would be a nice option too; not a real sportscar but it looks good and has the foldable hard top roof.

Odie
December 29th, 2011, 10:57
One word.... Mustang.

Reliable and while some have been beat on, buying one from a responsible older owner should land you a pretty nice ride. Even the later model V-6 Mustangs are pretty peppy.

Add to that....Shelby or Saleen.

TeaSea
December 29th, 2011, 12:07
Eh.....both nice, but I have to point out that POWER and SPORTS CAR are not neccesarily the same thing. One of the reasons I was asking Pete to narrow down a bit. Personally, I'd go for a late model V6 Mustang if I didn't want to spend too much and needed 4 seats.

I almost bought a 1978 Mercedes SLK 500 last year that a neighbor had up for sale. It was low miles, babied, and really looked sweet with both tops. Almost looked new. I Always liked that look....much better than the modern ones.

In the end I walked away. Sort of regret it though since another neighbor bought it and runs it around occasionally.

luckydog
December 29th, 2011, 15:35
Mazda Miata

Prowler1111
December 29th, 2011, 15:54
IIRC..Miatas trigger some unpleasant memories on Pete´s..it involves a Miata and Jabba de Hutt..

Prowler

Navy Chief
December 29th, 2011, 17:42
IIRC..Miatas trigger some unpleasant memories on Pete´s..it involves a Miata and Jabba de Hutt..

Prowler

OMG! I am surprised you remember that! My ex-wife's best friend (many years ago) was an obese (and very obnoxious) school teacher. Prowler's nickname for her was Jabba The Hut. She would come for a weekend visit, and plop her large rear on our couch, and basically be a slug the entire time. She drove a Mazda Miata. I would remark to Prowler that I was amazed she could even fit into it. Actually, the car would list to the left, because of her weight. That was one disgusting human being...... Shudder...... Pete

GT182
December 30th, 2011, 07:12
Go with the Mazda Miata. Stay away from any BMW..... unless you want a $150.00 bill when you change the oil. Dealer change only, as they suck the oil out. You do it and any warranty is void.

Or keep what you have Pete. You'll be all set that way, cause I'm sure you'll get another dog...... we all do. Your cat needs a new buddy and the company. ;) And the best reason to keep it if it's paid off or close to being paid off. No freeking car payments. That's the best thing there is these days. :d

Navy Chief
December 30th, 2011, 18:09
Go with the Mazda Miata. Stay away from any BMW..... unless you want a $150.00 bill when you change the oil. Dealer change only, as they suck the oil out. You do it and any warranty is void. Or keep what you have Pete. You'll be all set that way, cause I'm sure you'll get another dog...... we all do. Your cat needs a new buddy and the company. ;) And the best reason to keep it if it's paid off or close to being paid off. No freeking car payments. That's the best thing there is these days. :d Gary, I may get another dog someday, but I want to do some traveling. And getting another dog right now would make that unnecessarily complicated. I may, however, bring another cat down from TN, to give my cat Twist a playmate. My ex has several to choose from, so may do that. But no big plans right now. Once my house in TN sells the middle of next month, I will see about getting a different car. I like my car. Yep, it's paid for too. But I have always wanted a sports car. It's looking like a Miata may be the ticket. Pete

Bushpounder
December 30th, 2011, 18:28
Hi Chief. I recommend the MX-5 Miata. I bought mine new in 2008 and LOVE it!! I have the PRHT (power retractable hard top). I bought that top due to the fact it does stay outside, and I was afraid the snow would/could break a ragtop. You are certainly out of the snow belt now! She is a total blast to drive, holds the road well, and it looks great. Oh, and it sounds great too! The nice thing about the Miata, is that the top, either rag or hard, does NOT take up any trunk room when down. The trunk is big enough for a weekend getaway for two, providing you pack light. I get about 22-24 around town, and 33-34 on the highway. Mine is a 5 speed, which I don't think they even make anymore. I think it comes as a 6 speed or an automatic. Give one a whirl. I think you will find yourself smiling within a block or two. Here's me and my toy. I removed the front plate since the picture was taken. It looks better without it. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/bushpounder/miata/memiatasml.png

Here is why I opted for the PRHT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/bushpounder/miata/snow12009.png

Don

Navy Chief
December 30th, 2011, 19:27
Hi Chief. I recommend the MX-5 Miata. I bought mine new in 2008 and LOVE it!! I have the PRHT (power retractable hard top). I bought that top due to the fact it does stay outside, and I was afraid the snow would/could break a ragtop. You are certainly out of the snow belt now! She is a total blast to drive, holds the road well, and it looks great. Oh, and it sounds great too! The nice thing about the Miata, is that the top, either rag or hard, does NOT take up any trunk room when down. The trunk is big enough for a weekend getaway for two, providing you pack light. I get about 22-24 around town, and 33-34 on the highway. Mine is a 5 speed, which I don't think they even make anymore. I think it comes as a 6 speed or an automatic. Give one a whirl. I think you will find yourself smiling within a block or two. Here's me and my toy. I removed the front plate since the picture was taken. It looks better without it. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/bushpounder/miata/memiatasml.png

Here is why I opted for the PRHT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/bushpounder/miata/snow12009.png

Don

Thanks for the story, your comments and pictures! I was not even considering getting an automatic until I thought about all the stop and go traffic on this island. That would NOT be good. So am thinking an automatic transmission. I like the idea of a electric hard top though! Pete

LonelyplanetXO
December 30th, 2011, 21:36
A lot of people + for the Miata. My partner test drove one recently and disliked the harsh ride and limited visibility (she's a wee bit um, "'vertically challenged" & couldn't see over the dash! ). Her choice ultimately was a supercharged BMW Mini Cooper S convertible with tiptronic transmission. Have to say I love her car!

LPXO

Bushpounder
December 31st, 2011, 02:07
The automatic has shifter paddles, so if you wanted to "push it", it can be shifted manually-right from the steering wheel! :) Find a dealer and drive one, and I guarantee you'll get 60 smiles per hour. ;) Man, that was corny!

Don

SSI01
December 31st, 2011, 05:08
Still have to opt for the Miata. We own a six-speed 2005 MX-5 with about 30,000 on it. One thing to remember about that car is that Mazda describes it as a "roadster," not a sports car although it looks like one. It's not a screaming demon, but it's comfortable, gets excellent mileage, holds the road very well even in sharp turns, has very responsive steering, and is fun to drive - as a roadster should be. All you have to do is get used to seeing the battery on the right side of the trunk. I had a Mazda mechanic tell me once this thing has a "tank engine" in it - he'd seen them come in after enduring lots of abuse on the part of ignorant owners but still running strong. I've been told there are automatics out there but I've never seen one. Last week I saw my first hardtop Miata - there is a kit for converting it to a hard-top should you desire to do so. This isn't the convertible Bushpounder describes above, so reckon it goes with the older Miatas. My wife loves the one I got for her when she dropped over 100lbs. Hers is aquamarine blue with a tan or khaki-colored convertible top.