PDA

View Full Version : Intel Theft Deterent on laptop

OBIO
December 26th, 2011, 13:21
My brother-in-law bought him and his wife new laptops for Christmas. He called me a little while ago and asked me if I had any info about an Intel Theft Deterrent feature that came on his laptop. If the laptop is stolen, he can deactivate the laptop using this software...and even if the MOBO and HD are replaced in the laptop, it still will not work....it shuts down/kills the CPU somehow. The package is from Intel, but I have not heard of this before.

Anyone have any info on this? He is worried about the safety of having it installed on his laptop.

OBIO

Tako_Kichi
December 26th, 2011, 13:47
I've never heard of that app but I do know some of the 'rent to own' places have apps which allow them to shut down computers, smart phones, iPads etc. remotely if you fall behind on the payments.

EDIT: Just did a bit of Googling and it does seem to be a genuine Intel app but it comes as a subscription service (i.e. it costs you money) to use it.

Odie
December 27th, 2011, 03:25
My Dell that I bought 3 years ago had a LO-JACK type software that you could install that would enable it to be tracked anytime it was
logged on to the Net. This new software seems to be more akin to a car alarm's "kill switch" feature.

java2srv
December 27th, 2011, 06:59
I also have Computrace "LoJack" on a Dell XPS 13. It's a yearly subscription. Doesn't interfere with normal work and seems to do it's job pretty quietly.

for OBIO:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/anti-theft/anti-theft-service-providers.html

From the login page
https://atservice.intel.com/login.action#

Click the "What is Intel Anti-Theft Service?" at the upper left. Some exerpts:

Configuring Intel® Anti-Theft Service

Intel® AT Service allows you to manage the following configurations:

A) Account Settings – Allows you to make the following Intel® AT Service settings:
Auto Lock Timer: The number of days before the PC automatically locks down if it doesn´t synchronize with the server
Lockdown PC Message: This message is displayed when it boots up if your PC is locked down
Unlock Password: Change your unlock password
Install Secure Data Vault (SDV): Allows you to install SDV

B) Lock/Unlock PC – If your PC is lost or stolen, you can lock it down. If recovered, unlock the recovered PC at ATservice.intel.com from another computer and then enter your unlock password in recovered PC to regain access.

C) History – This user interface logs the changes to your Intel® AT Service configurations, lists the server synchronizations with your PC, and other relevant activities.

D) Suspend/Unsuspend PC – This allows you to suspend the Intel® AT Service. For example, we recommend you suspend Intel® AT Service prior to leaving your PC with a service/repair department.

E) Unsubscribe – This allows you to unsubscribe your PC from Intel® AT Service and disables the service for the PC. You may re-enroll/subscribe your PC at a future date using the same activation code.

F) SDV Maintenance – This maintenance function allows you to recover your SDV containers (where you store your sensitive data) to another PC from a backup if your PC is lost, stolen, or disabled. See the user guide for more instructions.

There's more so be sure to read around on the two links...

:wavey:

Java

OBIO
December 27th, 2011, 08:14
Thanks for the input folks. My brother-in-law will be using his laptop for work (commercial plumbing business) and would benefit from having the anti-theft protection. His laptop came with a 3-year subscription to the service included. Will help him set it up when I am over to set up the remote desktop system in Win 7 (his office system and his laptop both have this OS) so he can access files on his office system.....this will cut down on the number of "sensitive" documents that he will have to carry around on his laptop, but there will be some files that will need to be on the laptop. The Anti-theft system will help protect his files and his system...I guess there is a big sticker that you put on the laptop stating that it is protected with the anti-theft system...sort of like houses having the Protected by ADT Alarm System stickers.

OBIO