PDA

View Full Version : Skins for the AH CFS3 Boomerang

phrog_phixer
December 26th, 2011, 07:46
Uploaded here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=76
After consideration, I decided to upload the textures only to keep the file size reasonable. There is a wealth of information at here at SOH to help you build CFS3 standalones. One note to remember, modified versions of texture "Boom6_t.dds" (Boom6wt.dds, Boom6xt.dds, Boom6yt.dds and Boom6zt.dds) are included to prevent the interior color from showing on the exterior model and to match the exterior color. You will also need the CA-13 shared files. I have uploaded these separately.

It's nice to give back to the community once in a while. Have fun!

Ken (phrog_phixer)

HouseHobbit
December 26th, 2011, 10:03
Thanks very much for these..
BRAVO..
:salute: :salute: :salute:
Only one to missed was the pretty purple and pink polka dotted one..
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Off to hide!! On goes the Ring!! :pop4:

Led Zeppelin
December 26th, 2011, 12:26
Thank you, much appreciated!:wiggle:

gecko
December 26th, 2011, 12:59
These are all very nice! What's the story on the two with the early style (red center) roundels? Didn't know they were ever used on this aircraft.
Thanks for sharing them!

Daniel

phrog_phixer
December 26th, 2011, 15:43
Good question, gecko. In early WWII most, if not all British Empire and Commonwealth aircraft had roundels similar to the RAF A1 style. As experienced by the US with their red ball in the center of the star, "friendly fire" incidents occurred due to pilots and gunners shooting at anything with red markings so these were modified as the war progressed.

While the markings on A46-1 may be a bit hypothetical, the ones on A46-2 are accurate as far as I can determine. These were very early production models and probably didn't see combat in this scheme.

Finally as in the ReadMe: "Some artistic license was taken, matching the colors as accurately as possible from pics on the internet (primarily WINGS PALLETTE at http://wp.scn.ru/en), although they may be a little dark or the patterns may be somewhat innaccurate".

Thanks for asking.

gosd
December 27th, 2011, 06:49
Installed the whole set ! BRAVO ! these are very well made :ernae:

CHEERS!

gosd
December 27th, 2011, 07:17
I just noticed that the serial nb for QE-Y should be A46-199 instead of A46-174.

phrog_phixer
December 27th, 2011, 11:26
Thanks gosd. This was my reference: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/989/81/1#13. I see what you mean though...HOME JAMES should be A46-199 on overall foilage green...although other references on the net show the camoflage. This is one for our Aussie friends to clear up.

Capt. Winters
December 28th, 2011, 15:21
Good question, gecko. In early WWII most, if not all British Empire and Commonwealth aircraft had roundels similar to the RAF A1 style. As experienced by the US with their red ball in the center of the star, "friendly fire" incidents occurred due to pilots and gunners shooting at anything with red markings so these were modified as the war progressed.

While the markings on A46-1 may be a bit hypothetical, the ones on A46-2 are accurate as far as I can determine. These were very early production models and probably didn't see combat in this scheme.

Hi Guys,

Hi Ken, excellent skins mate, I love them all, with your permission I would like to use a few of them in the upcoming hotfix patch we are working on for RS. This would give us a representation from each of the squadrons who flew them in game.

With regards to the red centrered roundle, it was used as mentioned early on, and definately was in use when A46-2 was roled out the factory door. Most of 1942 seen the majority of RAAF fighters carrying the red centrered roundle, Bluey Truscott fought in a P40 over Milne bay in a plane painted this way. but as stated above the red centre was removed to stop the possibilty of friendly fire. As the first Combat role for the CAC13 was in the middle of 1943 then I doupt they would have had the red centre at that time.

Overall olive green paint versus brown earth/green camo. again it was a phased in approach, so it was not uncommon to see squadron planes up until late 43/ early 44 in the brown/green camo and then as replacement planes come through the overall green scheme became more relevent. I have a picture of 4 squadron CAC-13's with one or two in overall green and the rest of the group still wearing the brown/green camo. but by 1945 pretty much all of the planes were painted in overall green with individual squadron colours/bars used. (ie white tail section, white leading edges of wings etc)

HTH's

regards Rob.

phrog_phixer
December 28th, 2011, 17:28
Thanks for the information Rob. I would be very honored if these were used in the RS update. I have become totally fascinated learning about the contributions of the RAAF and the development of the CA Boomerang. I'd also like to view the photos you mentioned if you could post them.

Capt. Winters
December 29th, 2011, 21:09
Thanks Ken,

I'll do up the standalones, and include you in the credits etc. I'll dig up the book and scan the pictures for you.

I have some good books on the RAAF I'll get a list together of the titles etc for you. in fact if you PM me your address I'll send you over a couple that I have duplicates of. these are autobiographies of RAAF pilots and crew written in the late 40's early 50's.

thanks again,

regards Rob.

Capt. Winters
December 29th, 2011, 21:27
Hi Guys,

hope this works, attached two pages scanned out of Kookaburra Technical manual Series 1 n°02 - CAC.Boomerang described.

that talk about the paint schemes used and the timing of use.

regards Rob.

Capt. Winters
December 29th, 2011, 21:44
Hi Guys,

Hi Ken, heres one of the pictures showing two of the camoflage schemes which in this case are more a factor of age and weathering rather than deliberate colour changes..

this is scanned out of Kookaburra Technical Publications - Series 3 No.02 - 'Wirraway & Boomerang Markings'

regards Rob.

phrog_phixer
December 30th, 2011, 13:36
Thanks for the photos, Rob. I may do a few more in the future:salute: