PDA

View Full Version : Who gets this error under W7 re Video Cards

Naismith
December 25th, 2011, 12:48
"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

I get it all the time especially if I switch between Tabs in IE too quick or when flicking through JPEGS. really annoying. Seems to happen with NV and AMD cards equally, mine ine a 6870 ATi. Presently experimenting with W7 power settings as that is reportedly one solution.....

Tako_Kichi
December 25th, 2011, 13:02
I just built a new system and moved to Win 7 and I have seen that same message a couple of times now. No idea what is causing it though as this rig isn't OC'd.

falcon409
December 25th, 2011, 14:48
Same here. It happens every so often and I have no idea why and nothing seems to be the worse for wear after it resets itself either.

OBIO
December 25th, 2011, 15:35
I was getting that error under Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, using the latest Nvidia driver for my GeForce 460GT card...but once I rolled back to the older version that came on the installation CD with the card...no more errors, no more video driver crashes.

OBIO

OleBoy
December 25th, 2011, 15:41
I was getting that error under Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, using the latest Nvidia driver for my GeForce 460GT card...but once I rolled back to the older version that came on the installation CD with the card...no more errors, no more video driver crashes.

OBIO

I can confirm the same. Version 185.xx in my case. It was happening to my machine in what seemed a very violent crash. I did a fresh install of video drivers v290.36 and the issue was resolved.

napamule
December 25th, 2011, 16:02
Here is the scoop on Window's 'TDR' feature, the root of this evil. Read it all, as he sums it up with definite (good) advice. Link: http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/12/troubleshooting-0x116-videotdrerror.html .

Chuck B
Napamule
PS: I will put together a i7 2600K/Win 7 Pro system tuesday. Spent the bucks (Xmas gift from ME to ME-hehe) and now have to start learning about Win7 related problems. Can already say it's going to be a busy 2012 getting the PC tweaked. Will overclock in stages to see what HEAT is like. Heat is one thing that I will avoid at all costs. I will liquid cool just to make sure. And air flow for video card is #1 priority. So, for starters, will choose 'Performance' over 'Quality' (can't tell the difference anyway) to avoid 'problems' (like this one).

falcon409
December 25th, 2011, 17:01
Here is the scoop on Window's 'TDR' feature, the root of this evil. Read it all, as he sums it up with definite (good) advice. Link: http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/12/troubleshooting-0x116-videotdrerror.html .
Chuck B
Napamule
Well, while I do get the error message about the video driver resetting, it's never been connected to a Blue Screen of Death, just a bubble stating the aforementioned reset function. For me at least it comes as nothing more than a minor inconvenience and then I move on, the system resets and I'm back in business. This last paragraph in his lengthy explanation explains all I needed to know:
I wouldn't pin this problem on Microsoft. Ultimately, this crash is due to game/software developers and graphics card manufacturers (such as ATI/AMD and NVidia) developing buggy devices and software and not playing by the rules and standards dictated for a specific platform like Windows.

All righty then.......:salute: