PDA

View Full Version : Model 1899 Savage

pilottj
December 21st, 2011, 20:48
Hey folks
I posted some pics for another forum, thought I would share them here. Some pics of a model 1899 savage I inherited from grandpa when he passed. He got it from his father. It fires .22 Savage Hi-Power rounds from a rotary magazine. Manufactured in 1913, its a little worn in some spots but is in great shape for it's age.

Cheers
TJ

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/savage1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/savage2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/savage3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/downsize.jpg

Willy
December 21st, 2011, 22:00
Those old Savage lever actions are well regarded amongst hunters.

My father in law passed away a week ago and yesterday I inherited an old Stevens double barreled 20 gauge shotgun that he had inherited from his father in law. It's turned brown with age, but the action is solid and I'm hoping to take it out here in a few days and see how it shoots.

HouseHobbit
December 21st, 2011, 22:14
Great!! Rifles..
The .22 hi power was one of those rounds that died out with the advent of the High pressure modern rounds..

I have one a "take down" model with a 30-30 barrel and the.22 high power round.
There should be a ammo counter built in to the magazine when you load it it will tell you how many rounds you have left to shoot.. depending on the Model..
These are very valuable rifles in good shape like yours is.

Norma still manufactures ammunition in this caliber and so does Sellier and Bellot (5.6X52mm rimmed)
Ammo at: http://www.midwayusa.com
Check the bore closely, when this round and rifle were in use smokeless powder was just coming into use and often the bores are damaged from not cleaning well enough during the days of Black powder rounds..

I have been offered 1,200 dollars for my take down model I would say yours is also worth at least this much on the market..
a wonderful gift to receive..

pilottj
December 21st, 2011, 22:45
Hey Hobbit, thanks for the info.
Yes, this savage has the counter on the left hand side of the magazine. Grandpa left me with a few boxes of ammo for it. 2 quite old boxes (one Remington Kleanbore mushroom bullet box, one Western Super X Lubaloy bullet box) and a box of the newer Bellot 5.6x52Rs. The other rifle in the top pic is a tube fed Winchester bolt action model 72-22 short. It has no serial on it so am unable to track it's manufacture year.
CHeers
TJ

HouseHobbit
December 22nd, 2011, 01:08
Hey Hobbit, thanks for the info.
Yes, this savage has the counter on the left hand side of the magazine. Grandpa left me with a few boxes of ammo for it. 2 quite old boxes (one Remington Kleanbore mushroom bullet box, one Western Super X Lubaloy bullet box) and a box of the newer Bellot 5.6x52Rs. The other rifle in the top pic is a tube fed Winchester bolt action model 72-22 short. It has no serial on it so am unable to track it's manufacture year.
CHeers
TJ

Keep the old ammo, it too is worth some money to collectors..
You can get new ammo Midway is one place, I sent the link..
You can replace the broken stock pad also with a new one, from online sources also..
This will help the value also..

This are GREAT rifles,I never understood why Winchester lever actions even had a chance after these were introduced, a much better rifle..
( the cowboy thing I guess)
They can use pointed bullets and have a big advantage over the Winchester lever actions for dependability..

Mine is a 1930 vintage, and perfect, my father got it in 1970 from a collector who never fired it..
I have shot mine many times, and love the Savage 99 for the great lasting dependability, always give Great service..
Congrats you now have a piece of firearms history well worth using and caring for..

The Winchester 72-22 is another well built rifle, and in the .22 short..
Check and see if it has Short, long and long Rifle on the barrel..

Many of these .22 short rifles were used for gallery guns in the past at fairs and traveling circuses..
pay a sum and get 10 rounds to shoot at moving and still targets ..
These also are of Great value to collectors around 1,000 dollars on the market..

Jagdflieger
December 22nd, 2011, 11:12
Wow! Lucky you.

When I was growing up in Colorado, my brother and I had 30/30 Winchesters. Our good friend had a Savage 99 and it seemed pretty modern to me, not to mention it was much more powerful than our Model 94s.

While on R&R from VN, I went hunting in Australia and used a Savage 99 in .22 Savage Hi-Power. It proved to be a deadly rifle and handled like a dream.

If you hand load for it, remember that the bore diameter is actually .228 calibre instead of the now standard .224 calibre of the 5.56mm military round, the 222-223-224 Remington cartridges as well as the 22/250, 22 Hornet and 220 Swift. I think that Speer may still make a 70 grain .228 projectile for the old High Power.

As I recall, you can or should be able to form cases for it from the more readilly available 25/35 Winchester brass or possibly from easily available 30/30 Winchester brass.

I see that your 99 has an old peep sight on it. I have peep (or aperature) sights on all my lever action rifles as they are accurate and fast in use and don't upset the fine ballance of a good rifle.

CWOJackson
December 22nd, 2011, 14:41
I love the 99s. I've one of the first that came out in the Savage 300. It was my favorite moose gun for years.

EasyEd
December 22nd, 2011, 19:28
Hey All,

Great gun the 99. I've never had one but shot a friend's 308 loved it. I now use a Browning BLR in 30-06 with hornady lite mag so the muzzle velocity and energy is just a tough below a 300 Winchester mag. That said one of my favorite guns was a Marlin 336 in 356 Winchester (308 necked up to 35 with a flat nose bullet). Was stolen years ago and so I occasionally think of getting a new Marlin that shoots soft point pointed bullets.

-Ed-

Willy
December 22nd, 2011, 21:11
Ed, I'm a Marlin collector (Model 1894s) and if you go to get a Marlin, get a good used one. Remington bought Marlin out a few years ago, shutdown the old Marlin factory, moved production to Remington's New York factory and the quality has dropped right out of them. Enough so that Remington has suspended production of all but a few models.

The 356 was a great rifle but only made for a few years in the 80s.

The newer Marlin 338 Express has very similar performance to the 356.

stansdds
December 23rd, 2011, 06:00
One of my college classmates had a Savage 99 he inherited from his father. It was chambered in 300 Savage. I got to shoot it a couple of times and I must say it was the most accurate lever action I've ever fired. I tried to buy it, but he absolutely refused and he probably still has it.