PDA

View Full Version : Firefly port-over

Roger
December 21st, 2011, 08:22
Just uploaded to our library today is a brand new Fairey Firefly for Fs9 by our very own Fnerg. Of course I had to try it in FsX. Glass and prop alphas needed modifying and there is one gauge no functioning in FsX. In Fs9 it is brilliant and a great job of work. Here in FsX after the alpha mods...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/firefly-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/firefly-2.jpg

modelr
December 21st, 2011, 08:45
Beautiful!

Just downloaded also.:applause:

Thanks fnerg.

delta_lima
December 21st, 2011, 08:58
Brilliant Roger!!

I just stumbled across the item as part of my regular troll through the most recent files, and then I had to see if there was mention of it here in FSX ... so glad it (mostly) works.

Any chance of posting the fixed prop/glass textures? I absolutely love how good that looks. That would be so much appreciated.

What gauge is n/s? Depending on what it is, maybe one could substitute something from another model's gauge set.

This looks just fantastic - it truly is raining naval goodies this last week ...

DL

Roger
December 21st, 2011, 09:08
Hi DL it's just a quick and dirty fix but it makes it flyable. On the model with tanks there is an issue that I can't fix as yet.

delta_lima
December 21st, 2011, 09:21
Sheesh Roger,

The model's been out for a full 19 hours and you've still not got it sorted ... :running:

JUST KIDDING!!!

That was really fast - thanks for posting so quickly. I'm watching the discussion over on the FS9 forum (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60942-FS2004-Fairey-Firefly-AS-5-and-Mk-6) for the small inevitable tweaks that are understandable with a new model (and Doug's first project, no less!!)

Regardless, if where it's at today is as far as we can get it in FSX, we are all still most blessed by this gift.

Thanks Doug and thanks Roger for the tweaks.

DL

Roger
December 21st, 2011, 09:27
Actually poor old Doug had an issue uploading the file and finally a couple of hours ago it was successfully uploaded...so there's a little more time needed to tweak yet:santahat:
If you've got Fs9 on your pc you might be able to see which gauge needs fettling.

delta_lima
December 21st, 2011, 09:48
meh, excuses - blame it on Doug, then! :icon_lol:

Yes, I saw his trials and tribulations earlier today - bravo for him succeeding in getting it posted. I see a small update will be posted regarding a bmp texture issue - will have to wait on that.

Good suggestion on the FS9 idea - alas, I don't - was gifted to someone who needed it more than I did. I'm hoping Medic, Andy43 or Flieger can take a peek - those are a couple of the folks who I can think of who fly military types on both platforms.

If identified, I'll take a look at what I can substitute in a few hours when I get home.

cheers,

DL

SkippyBing
December 21st, 2011, 10:39
Looks like the brake gauge isn't showing up from the screenshot, although the needles are there.

Nice looking model all the same.

warchild
December 21st, 2011, 15:03
now i KNOW i need sleep. I read the title and thought.. " another spaceship in fsx??"

Its looking awesome though to be honest.. Great work.. :)
Pam

N2056
December 21st, 2011, 15:11
I don't usually mess with ports, but I think I'll make an exception for this one. There is a restored Firefly that is local to me...

Roger
December 21st, 2011, 15:21
That's a great photo Robert!:ernae:

Deano
December 21st, 2011, 15:47
very nice, a personal favourite of mine. On our last visit to the airshow at Duxford a firefly belly flopped into a corn field killing both pitot and passenger, very sad day.

I paid special attention to it at the show because Ive never seen one before. So i watched her take off, not much later I noticed her nose up to the sky, nearly got to the top, stalled not enough speed, banked over tried to pull out at the bottom, but was to late. I remember it fairly well, most of the other peeps watch watching the other aircraft. When I seen her heading for the ground I shouted (insert here) pull out, might have been instict but then everyone was fixated on where I was looking, then a big poof of smoke. I then looked over to the fire service, shouting like mad at them they looked around but didnt go straight out to them very sad day.

My wife asked if we could go home, I agreed.

OleBoy
December 21st, 2011, 16:04
Thanks for the eads up, Roger. I was following this like a hawk when I was running FS9. A HUGE venture for Doug to take on. He was doing well last I read in the thread not too awful long ago. This is excellent to see it finally come to life!

Thank,,,,,,,,You,,,,,,DOUG!!!! :ernae:

Roger
December 21st, 2011, 16:43
very nice, a personal favourite of mine. On our last visit to the airshow at Duxford a firefly belly flopped into a corn field killing both pitot and passenger, very sad day.

I paid special attention to it at the show because Ive never seen one before. So i watched her take off, not much later I noticed her nose up to the sky, nearly got to the top, stalled not enough speed, banked over tried to pull out at the bottom, but was to late. I remember it fairly well, most of the other peeps watch watching the other aircraft. When I seen her heading for the ground I shouted (insert here) pull out, might have been instict but then everyone was fixated on where I was looking, then a big poof of smoke. I then looked over to the fire service, shouting like mad at them they looked around but didnt go straight out to them very sad day.

My wife asked if we could go home, I agreed.

Very sad. I can understand why your wife wanted to go home.

delta_lima
December 21st, 2011, 20:42
First - it looks fantastic - very well done.

Couple of points ...

NAV 1 radio tone - I can't turn it off. I tried subbing in another period-looking radio panel (bummed a nice looking unit from the Sea Vixen) - but even when I turn NAV 1 volume off, it doesn't stop giving me the Morse tone ...

Master switch in the VC (rt side, just ahead of the fuse panel) - it stays down - is that normal? I want to start it properly from cold ...

Magnetos - 1 is operable, 2 is not ... ? they also seem to be reversed from the 2D (upside down) to the VC (right way round)

Approach speed - even with low amount of fuel load (25%-30%), it's hard to keep it below 100 kts without VS going below -1000 fpm, which makes it tricky to land aboard the boat. If this is correct, this makes it one of the hardest props to land aboard the boat, unless I'm doing something very wrong. I'd have thought the Youngam flaps would bring this down to around to at around the 90ish kts at a manageable VS. Took me about a dozen waveoffs before I put her down on Victorious.

Otherwise, it's a great project - definite keeper.

thanks,

DL

ps - I get severe nose tipover on arrested landings - don't know if that's the positioning of the "virtual" hook or the high touchdown speeds .... curious what the other carrier pilot folk have to say.

thunder100
December 21st, 2011, 23:01
First - it looks fantastic - very well done.

Couple of points ...

NAV 1 radio tone - I can't turn it off. I tried subbing in another period-looking radio panel (bummed a nice looking unit from the Sea Vixen) - but even when I turn NAV 1 volume off, it doesn't stop giving me the Morse tone ...

Master switch in the VC (rt side, just ahead of the fuse panel) - it stays down - is that normal? I want to start it properly from cold ...

Magnetos - 1 is operable, 2 is not ... ? they also seem to be reversed from the 2D (upside down) to the VC (right way round)

Approach speed - even with low amount of fuel load (25%-30%), it's hard to keep it below 100 kts without VS going below -1000 fpm, which makes it tricky to land aboard the boat. If this is correct, this makes it one of the hardest props to land aboard the boat, unless I'm doing something very wrong. I'd have thought the Youngam flaps would bring this down to around to at around the 90ish kts at a manageable VS. Took me about a dozen waveoffs before I put her down on Victorious.

Otherwise, it's a great project - definite keeper.

thanks,

DL

ps - I get severe nose tipover on arrested landings - don't know if that's the positioning of the "virtual" hook or the high touchdown speeds .... curious what the other carrier pilot folk have to say.

I think the FDE needs a bit of attention(hook I did allready).For me as I do this often,hardest to land is a Seafire(if you forget Corsair where you see nothing unless you fly the curved approach).This is almost impossibleto land as gap between fly and beeing a stone is very sharp(maybe 1/2 a knot)

other then this GREAT MODEL

Roland

Dev One
December 22nd, 2011, 00:25
To get the triple brake pressure gauge to show in FSX VC, in the panel.cfg file try changing the -ve 1 value to zero or 1, FSX will not show gauges with a -ve number. (I have yet to do it, but from past experience found this to be the answer)
HTH
Keith

napamule
December 22nd, 2011, 00:33
I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone. Also can 'see' flaps and pitch trim (vital for traps) on 2D panel view. Tweaked the cfg file, used my A-1H air file and I got it going. So I made a video for now. Will see about FDEs 'tamale' because it's late already. Here is the video Link: http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. It shows 2 traps I only installed the MK.6 Canadian skin. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
For now I guess I can share the 'tailhook' settings: cfg and air needs LOTS of tweaking. I'm not done with it but it's 90%.

[tailhook] //--- mod by c:b ('Napamule'), for Fairy Firefly, 11Dec22 ---
tailhook_length= 0.6000
tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
cable_force_adjust= 2.200

DaveWG
December 22nd, 2011, 00:44
To get the triple brake pressure gauge to show in FSX VC, in the panel.cfg file try changing the -ve 1 value to zero or 1, FSX will not show gauges with a -ve number. (I have yet to do it, but from past experience found this to be the answer)
HTH
Keith

That's done the trick, thanks Keith.

Lovely aircraft, thanks Doug.:applause:

skyhawka4m
December 22nd, 2011, 02:29
any fix for the one with fuel tanks yet?

DarrenL
December 22nd, 2011, 02:37
Not loaded it up in FSX yet but one other thing to remember for those who have not done it is to unpack the gauges CAB files and repack them using the FSX SDK Cabdir prog.

Roger
December 22nd, 2011, 03:07
Thanks Dev one and DarrenL got the gauges to appear and will redo the cab files.:ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/firefly-3.jpg

harrybasset
December 22nd, 2011, 04:09
HTH
Keith

Please could you clarify this for me, I have looked into the triple gauge but cannot see which item to change.

DarrenL
December 22nd, 2011, 04:20
Please could you clarify this for me, I have looked into the triple gauge but cannot see which item to change.

Open the panel.cfg files in both panel folders, edit with notepad and search for "triple" the one to change will be the 2nd of the two instances found, the first number after it will be -1, change it to 0 or 1 instead and save.

Eg. Changing

gauge17=ST_Firefly!Triplebrakepress, -1,490,94,94

to

gauge17=ST_Firefly!Triplebrakepress, 0,490,94,94

Navtech
December 22nd, 2011, 07:33
I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone

Nice ... as usual :salute:

Roger
December 22nd, 2011, 08:55
Rebuilding the cab files makes a great difference in loading times; I recommend it.

skyhawka4m
December 22nd, 2011, 09:06
Can someone post the rebuilt cab's and also.....has anyone found the fix for the aircraft with fuel tanks??

Roger
December 22nd, 2011, 09:31
Can someone post the rebuilt cab's and also.....has anyone found the fix for the aircraft with fuel tanks??

The cab files are over 5 meg so too big to attach to a post. If you read the cab file instructions in the FsX Tweaks sub-forum, the first post tells you how to do it yourself and if I can do it then anyone can, lol! With regard to the tanks I'm not sure how they're supposed to look and I think that may be a model issue.

napamule
December 22nd, 2011, 09:35
Here is link to MediFire hosting for MY version of FDEs (zip file) for the Firefly. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
I like to dig into the 'provided' (spec) panel later, especially if porting over to FSX, and like to iron out the fde's first. Hope you can use.
Chuck B
Napamule

delta_lima
December 22nd, 2011, 09:36
Hello all,

Great screenshot Roger! Also, what is meant by rebuilding the cab file? I mean that I know it contains the gauges, but I'm not sure what would be involved. Recompile with other gauges? Thanks.

Keith - will try your fix - sounds very simple - thanks.

Napa, what do you mean by standby panel? Is that the default radio stack in the Cesssnas, etc? Thanks for clarifying.

Good idea about the AH-1 air file. Was hoping to keep it real, but that may be a good way to go. Also, I find that combining a curved approach with a crabbed attitude helped me keep the left side of the runway and it's lights (or the batsman, in the case of the carrier approaches) in view at all times.

Thanks,

dl

Roger
December 22nd, 2011, 09:48
Hi dl,
With the cab files as existing, it take about 15 seconds to load the aircraft. Decompiling (unzipping with 7-zip) and then recompiling with the cab dir tool and replacing the old ones with these and loading the aircraft is instant. There is a stickied thread in FsX tweaks explaining how to.

napamule
December 22nd, 2011, 09:58
DL,
I have a 'H.J. Altman Jet' panel that I can use for all types of engines in FSX. It came with Harrier download (and can't be found anywhere else-I looked). Everything (gauges) work in FSX. Zip file name is 'harfsx23.zip' (12.8 mb) and found at FSCom file library. Thanks HJ Altman.

I also don't know about any 'recompile' of cab files. Myself, I usually just put the cab file in main panel folder and FSX grabs files from there. Did not try yet as I said (so I don't know ANYTHING about the 'problemo' with panel/gauges).

2 of flaps and 3 of pitch trim is all I need to land at 80 kts or so (with throttle add/take away all the way in). I fly from spot view (use space bar and mouse move to adjust for best view (under plane to see deck/cables). Nothing about me is 'spec' (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: the (stupid) MediaFire link works, but you get pop-up ads (sorry). Once you get downloaded you can rename zip to whatever. Sorry about the long (path) name. Messed up.

alain0568
December 22nd, 2011, 10:15
Hello,

Very nice machine that Firefly!:applause::applause::applause:
Thank you Roger!
And confirm that the board gauges in cabdir.exe is very positive about the loading time of the device (almost instantaneous!)
Big thank you to Falcon 409!:salute:

Alain

-

Navtech
December 22nd, 2011, 12:11
Napamule

Here is link to MediFire hosting for MY version of FDEs (zip file) for the Firefly. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
I like to dig into the 'provided' (spec) panel later, especially if porting over to FSX, and like to iron out the fde's first. Hope you can use.
Chuck B
Napamule

Thank's again for your expertize :salute:
Work fine
Just a small glitch:
You let the lights for contact points active (you forget to put // beside all lights strings .. )

[Lights] //--- FOR CNT PTS ONLY -------
//Gear
light.0=1, -17.742, 0.000, -3.590, fx_navred,
light.1=1, 1.648, -6.257, -7.979, fx_navred,
light.2=1, 1.648, 6.257, -7.979, fx_navred,
light.3=1, 0.000, 0.000, 8.000, fx_navgre, //Center
//light.4=1, -14.000, 0.000, 12.000,
//
And the good lights are inactive .. :)

//[lights]
////Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
//light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclight_blanc
////light.1 =4 ,-1.70000, 4.800000, 1.000000,fx_vclight_blanc
//
So .. easy to correct by users ...

alain0568
December 22nd, 2011, 12:13
Hi,

I found a abscense the needle of the voltmeter!
on-line:

[Vcockpit01]
gauge10 = ST_Firefly! voltmeter, 814,307,89,89
change:
gauge10 = ST_Firefly! volt, 814,307,89,89:

Alain

DarrenL
December 22nd, 2011, 15:25
Hello all,

Great screenshot Roger! Also, what is meant by rebuilding the cab file? I mean that I know it contains the gauges, but I'm not sure what would be involved. Recompile with other gauges? Thanks.

Make two new folders on your desktop the same name as the two CAB files in the gauges folder. Use something like 7Zip to extract the 2 cab files onto their own folders. Then navigate to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK folder (if you have it installed) and find cabdir in the Simobject creation kit. Just drag and drop the folders onto the cabdir.exe and it will create new CAB files on your desktop.

Replace the old FS9 cab files (still in the Firefly folder) with these 2 new FSX compiled CAB files.

napamule
December 22nd, 2011, 16:21
NavTec,
Your found me out. That is how I check cnt pt placement for accuracy, etc. Since the light section is used for cnt pts only, I have to comment out the 'regular' lights section so they don't conflict. But I forgot to reverse the temp tweak. Good eye. You might find that the model has nav lights built in, and those will show 'through' no matter what you do to lights section. (Tells me the model is 'part' CFS3 or other sim? I guess).

I see some work being done for the panel. I will hang around for that part. Otherwise I am out of here. Cheers. And yes, IT'S A FANTASTIC LOOKING MODEL. Makes my mouth water. I envy those guys that can do models and repaints.
Chuck B
Napamule

Fnerg
December 23rd, 2011, 14:02
Thanks for the eads up, Roger. I was following this like a hawk when I was running FS9. A HUGE venture for Doug to take on. He was doing well last I read in the thread not too awful long ago. This is excellent to see it finally come to life!

Thank,,,,,,,,You,,,,,,DOUG!!!! :ernae:

You are very welcome my friend.

D

Fnerg
December 23rd, 2011, 14:05
I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone. Also can 'see' flaps and pitch trim (vital for traps) on 2D panel view. Tweaked the cfg file, used my A-1H air file and I got it going. So I made a video for now. Will see about FDEs 'tamale' because it's late already. Here is the video Link: http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. It shows 2 traps I only installed the MK.6 Canadian skin. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
For now I guess I can share the 'tailhook' settings: cfg and air needs LOTS of tweaking. I'm not done with it but it's 90%.

[tailhook] //--- mod by c:b ('Napamule'), for Fairy Firefly, 11Dec22 ---
tailhook_length= 0.6000
tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
cable_force_adjust= 2.200

Can't wait to try it out, let me know if you need any tech data from my research.

Doug

Fnerg
December 23rd, 2011, 14:09
NavTec,. You might find that the model has nav lights built in, and those will show 'through' no matter what you do to lights section. (Tells me the model is 'part' CFS3 or other sim? I guess).
Napamule

No I modeled everything from scratch, and those lights are built in Gmax. It's the only way I could get the lights to follow the wings as they fold, so they had to be a part of the model.

Doug

delta_lima
December 23rd, 2011, 15:30
OK - got the cabs rebuilt (thanks Roger and Darren!) - check.

New FDE - check (flies a fair bit better). Thanks Napa!

Radio tone - gone (yay!)

Cold start - no can do. I can't get mag 2 to stay on, and the coil and starter buttons don't work. Am I missing something? So too, the Master switch is always on. Again, something I missed somewhere?

thanks!

Roger
December 23rd, 2011, 15:39
This could well be a port-over issue. I don't think we should expect too much from a ported aircraft in a sim where it doesn't really belong. I'm just happy to have a great looking Firefly:santahat:

delta_lima
December 23rd, 2011, 15:59
Aye indeed, and fair enough, Roger.

I just wanted to ensure I wasn't overlooking anything. I'm struggling cold starting another new addon (proper FSX), so I always assume initially that stuff works, and that my issue is "operator" related.

Your prop fix is the bomb, by the way - just love it! And your first screen is the RN model's thumbnail in my system:guinness:.

cheers,

dl

EDIT: radio tone has come back - I have no idea what I did to rid myself of it before, nor what to do about it. I want to keep the original panel, so another or generic panel is not an option. Anyone cure this?

Also, my VOR gauge doesn't work - I don't think it worked pre-Cab rebuild either ... thoughts?

I hope these are simple fixes for an otherwise superb model.

napamule
December 23rd, 2011, 21:44
DL,
Well the tone switch has to be there in order to turn tone off. When you have radios with 'Audio.1=0' then there is no 'switch' to turn it off (because it don't exist-get it?). Change it to 'Audio.1=1' and you will be able to switch it off at the radio panel. If you don't 'see' a physical switch then do key commands (Ctrl+x) (x=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, for VOR1, VOR2, MKR, DME, ADF). I go ahead and prevent these kind of things happening with '3rd' party panels by enabling ALL the RADIOS features (doesn't 'hurt' anything). The correct/optimal section is below:

[Radios] //All features enabled, so radios 'work' in/on/for '2nd party' panels.
// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1=1
Com.1= 1, 1
Com.2= 1, 1
Nav.1= 1, 1, 1
Nav.2= 1, 1, 0
Adf.1=1
Transponder.1=1
Marker.1=1
//
Cheers
Chuck B
Napamule
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Fnerg
December 24th, 2011, 07:49
Thanks Dev one and DarrenL got the gauges to appear and will redo the cab files.:ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/firefly-3.jpg

Roger, that's a stunning shot. Thanks.

skyhawka4m
December 24th, 2011, 08:09
is there a fix for the textures on the fuel tanks version yet?

Can someone post the cab files as I've tried to do it twice with no luck.

Roger
December 24th, 2011, 09:06

Can someone post the cab files as I've tried to do it twice with no luck.

Check pms re cab files.

Regarding the tank: I think the material in the model is transparent whereas at least in FsX it should be reflective as evidently it shold show as chrome.

Ferry_vO
December 24th, 2011, 11:32

Check the Fs2004 Firefly thread; Fnerg uploaded the missing textures of that model which fixes the transparency issue with the search light pod (At least it does in the Fs9 version).

napamule
December 24th, 2011, 23:17
Wel gang. I had a late session which yielded results. I think you will like how the Firefly MK.6 handles now. I made seperate FDEs for FS9 and FSX. The FSX seem 'sluggish'. Will look into that. The FS9 FDE are very good. No more running off the left edge of runway on take off. No need for negative pitch trim to fly level. Generally it is an improvement (99%?). You be the judge. I uploaded to Media Fire file hosting, and you may get a popup, or adverts, but that pays the rent, so hope it's ok. Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 .
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: I will also post at FS9 thread. Happy New Year.

napamule
December 25th, 2011, 17:03
Can't say this is not a bump, but it's more like some interesting pics of Firefly details-close ups.

delta_lima
December 26th, 2011, 18:40
Thanks Napa, AH, Doug, et al.

The latest (AH) air + cfg files, and the radio fix now make the model a full 10/10 in FSX. Everything I can tell works fine - nice approach speed onto the boat at 90 kts, no flap weirdness - just fantastic. Thanks to all - this and Rob's Sea Vampire are the Christmas freeware treats of 2011.

Merry Christmas to all, especially Doug - here's to the lovely two-hole Fairey with a lovely Rolls Royce up front ...:guinness:

DL

delta_lima
December 28th, 2011, 13:17
Been flying carrier approaches and landings last night - lots of fun!

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to attenuate the rather pronounced bounce on landing? Doug indicated the real aircraft did not have this, and I don't recall it doing so when flying with his original air/FDE settings.

2) Any hope of getting some night lighting in the cockpit? It's pitch black in there at night ...

A firm keeper - thanks again Doug and all.

DL

Roger
December 28th, 2011, 13:48
Been flying carrier approaches and landings last night - lots of fun!

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to attenuate the rather pronounced bounce on landing? Doug indicated the real aircraft did not have this, and I don't recall it doing so when flying with his original air/FDE settings.

2) Any hope of getting some night lighting in the cockpit? It's pitch black in there at night ...

A firm keeper - thanks again Doug and all.

DL

Don't know about the bounce but for the vc lighting Change the lights to:

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhite
//light.1 =4 ,-1.70000, 4.800000, 1.000000,fx_vclightwhite

Then you will have the default FsX vc lights enabled.

delta_lima
December 28th, 2011, 17:21
Don't know about the bounce but for the vc lighting Change the lights to:

[lights]
light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhite

Then you will have the default FsX vc lights enabled.

Thanks Roger,

For some reason, the cockpit is still completely dark, and have verified I indeed have the appropriate default fx in question ... weird.

dl

EDIT-typo in the light strings above. Should read

[lights]
light.0 =4, -0.280000, 0.000000, 0.640000, fx_vclightwhi

note - in FSX, the default effect name doesn't have the "te" in white - all good now.

peter12213
January 10th, 2012, 09:06
Could someone please upload the newest FDE please the link is now dead! Thanks.

napamule
January 11th, 2012, 00:11
Well, the problem is I posted link to ('ver 1.0') FDE's at MEDIAFIRE (zip) Dec 22 in FS9 forum and later (Dec 25) posted updated FDE's ('ver 1.1) at MediaFire (zip) in FSX forum. The Dec 25 was MY 'newest' FDE (and the last one posted I do believe). Things happen too fast even for me doing only one thing (hehe). So I went and gathered all the info in both forums and am posting them all here. Only way to clarify, I guess. (Using lots of bandwidth, but don't worry, I will pitch in ($) in a few days to help out.)

Firefly, 'roger' Prop and glass fix, Dec 21, 2011 (SOH FSX forum), Link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60956-Firefly-port-over&p=660214&viewfull=1#post660214

Firefly, My VIDEO SHOWING OFF FDEs, YouTube Link:http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. Dec 22, 2011, (SOH FSX forum), Link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60956-Firefly-port-over&p=660482&viewfull=1#post660482
Also provided (tailhook) that works good in this post.

Firefly, My (cb) 1st ver of FDEs, Dec 22, 2011 at SOH FSX forum Link to file: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8743fsk138mybb .
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60956-Firefly-port-over&p=660646&viewfull=1#post660646

Firefly, 'bazaar' fdes, Dec 24, 2011, SOH FS9 Forum (#78) Link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60942-FS2004-Fairey-Firefly-AS-5-and-Mk-6&p=661374&viewfull=1#post661374

Firefly , MY (cb) fdes, Dec 25, 2011, SOH FS9 Forum (# ) FDE zip at MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 .Link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60942-FS2004-Fairey-Firefly-AS-5-and-Mk-6&p=661683&viewfull=1#post661683

Firefly, My (cb) fdes, Dec 25, 2011, SOH FSX Forum (#49), at MediaFire (link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x5455cbev8mr5n7 ). Forum Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60956-Firefly-port-over&p=661679&viewfull=1#post661679

Chuck B
Napamule

weeebbz
October 14th, 2013, 07:23
hi i was wondering if anyone had the prop and glass texture fixes i cant seem to find them

Roger
October 14th, 2013, 09:20
hi i was wondering if anyone had the prop and glass texture fixes i cant seem to find them

These should be the right ones...

Cees Donker
January 2nd, 2015, 01:20
These should be the right ones...

Are these in the library yet?

Cees

Roger
January 2nd, 2015, 02:14
Are these in the library yet?

Cees

Cees, I've reattached the textures to the post above.

Cees Donker
January 2nd, 2015, 03:24
Thank you very much Roger!
:wavey:
Cees

youngharry
September 26th, 2015, 21:53
The new air file appears to be an exe. file and will not load.
Does anyone have the real air file?

youngharry
September 27th, 2015, 18:37
Belay the last pipe. It appears that all air files are installer files; my mistake.
The aircraft is beautiful but it handles very poorly. Shame.

Jafo
September 27th, 2015, 21:13
Belay the last pipe. It appears that all air files are installer files; my mistake.
The aircraft is beautiful but it handles very poorly. Shame.
an 'air' file is not an installer or exe. To replace one with another simply rename the old to something like from 'plane.air' to 'plane.old' and copy the new file to the same folder as the original...;)

youngharry
September 28th, 2015, 16:08
an 'air' file is not an installer or exe. To replace one with another simply rename the old to something like from 'plane.air' to 'plane.old' and copy the new file to the same folder as the original...;)

Tried that and nothing seemed to change. The aircraft I am using is Doug Smith's Fairey Firefly and the present Air file is not good.
I replaced it with the Air file from A. Scrub's Firefly ( his Plane flies really well ) but nothing changed.

napamule
September 29th, 2015, 17:28
If you change the air file and the (new) name is not the same (as the old) name (dah...it CAN'T be the same) then for the New air file to 'take' you must change the air file NAME in cfg (ie: sim=xxxx.air). You also have to reload your default flight (C-172 ? I hope) and then re-load your airplane for the change to 'take'. Also, usually the New air file will have it's own aircraft.cfg and are paired up ON PURPOSE so that 'things' match. IOW you shouldn't use the Old cfg with the New air file. Might not work. Or at least your airplane won't fly the same as it would if you use the NEW cfg with the NEW air file. Just one of those things. Not everything is inter-changeable.
Chuck B

youngharry
September 29th, 2015, 18:35
If you change the air file and the (new) name is not the same (as the old) name (dah...it CAN'T be the same) then for the New air file to 'take' you must change the air file NAME in cfg (ie: sim=xxxx.air). You also have to reload your default flight (C-172 ? I hope) and then re-load your airplane for the change to 'take'. Also, usually the New air file will have it's own aircraft.cfg and are paired up ON PURPOSE so that 'things' match. IOW you shouldn't use the Old cfg with the New air file. Might not work. Or at least your airplane won't fly the same as it would if you use the NEW cfg with the NEW air file. Just one of those things. Not everything is inter-changeable.
Chuck B

Thanks mate, all information is welcomed.
I have already changed the sim name in the config but I noticed in all other aircraft configs that there does not seem to be .air added to the sim=xxx.
However, I have tried both and the flight characteristics still do not match those of the donor aircraft. You are right about the need for a purpose built config. Doug Smith did post a new air file and a corresponding config but they do not seem to change flight characteristics either.
I shall keep pushing buttons and changing things and something might happen. Will keep the forum posted. Remember, though, slight tapping is always permissible.

Jafo
September 29th, 2015, 19:10
Tried that and nothing seemed to change. The aircraft I am using is Doug Smith's Fairey Firefly and the present Air file is not good.
I replaced it with the Air file from A. Scrub's Firefly ( his Plane flies really well ) but nothing changed.
OK...to elaborate...

You have an air file you don't like...say "plane.air".
Rename it to "plane.old".
You have an air file you want to use instead...say "plane2.air".
Copy "plane2.air" to the aircraft folder where "plane.old" is.
Rename "plane2.air" to "plane.air" [no quotes obviously]
Reload the aircraft and it will now use this new "plane.air".
There will therefore be no reason or need to alter its reference in "aircraft.cfg".
Obviously results will vary as the "aircraft.cfg" details were always specific to the original "air" file included with the aircraft. Tweaks to "aircraft.cfg" will likely be necessary to get more satisfactory FDE...;)

napamule
September 29th, 2015, 22:08
Why? Because 'plane.air' might have been turbo prop (type 5) and 'plane2.air' might be jet (type 1). You need certain sections in the air file for a turbo prop and certain sections for jet engines. Turbo prop has a prop. Jet engines do not. That is just for starters.
Chuck B

Jafo
September 29th, 2015, 23:54
Why? Because 'plane.air' might have been turbo prop (type 5) and 'plane2.air' might be jet (type 1). You need certain sections in the air file for a turbo prop and certain sections for jet engines. Turbo prop has a prop. Jet engines do not. That is just for starters.
Chuck B

One assumes the slightest amount of logic....that you aren't trying to replace the air file from an a380 with one from a Sopwith Camel.
Assuming the having of half a brain one would be trying to replace like with like....something closer to SE5 with Camel rather than bicycle with Kenworth...;)

napamule
October 1st, 2015, 17:36
Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS. No mombo-jumbo. The problem is that simmers will be switching air files without 'classifying' them first (ie: as far as engine, weight, etc. is concerned). I suspect some even try switching aircraft config file without LOOKING at what is involved or doing any edits. You have a bad flying ac so you switch air files. Done. (WRONG!).
Chuck B
Edit: Next thing you know you will be telling me that all of the DEFAULT air files HAVE to be 'perfect' and can be used with other aircraft. Wrong again. The default air files are not even 'perfect' for the default aircraft themselfs. You kidding me!!

Jafo
October 1st, 2015, 20:50
Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS. No mombo-jumbo. The problem is that simmers will be switching air files without 'classifying' them first (ie: as far as engine, weight, etc. is concerned). I suspect some even try switching aircraft config file without LOOKING at what is involved or doing any edits. You have a bad flying ac so you switch air files. Done. (WRONG!).
Chuck B
Edit: Next thing you know you will be telling me that all of the DEFAULT air files HAVE to be 'perfect' and can be used with other aircraft. Wrong again. The default air files are not even 'perfect' for the default aircraft themselfs. You kidding me!!
Glad you know what I'll be telling you next...because I certainly don't.
I doubt you'd listen anyway as you clearly have not so far.
I simply told someone HOW to swap an air file by renaming it. I neither alluded to nor cared one iota whether what he wanted to use was better...worse...or anything in between.

I'm talking simple FILE MANAGEMENT and that an 'air' file is NOT an 'executable'.
All else is your tangent, not mine...;)

youngharry
October 2nd, 2015, 22:34
Thanks Jafo, your information was spot on and I do not know what that other bloke is getting upset about.
Your method worked and I am pleased with the operation of my Fairey Firefly.
I owe you a beer but I think we will keep it to ourselves.

SkippyBing
October 3rd, 2015, 04:43
Logic? What? There is no logic in flight simulator. It's all SCIENCE and FACTS.

You keep using the word logic. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Jafo
October 3rd, 2015, 06:13
Thanks Jafo, your information was spot on and I do not know what that other bloke is getting upset about.
Your method worked and I am pleased with the operation of my Fairey Firefly.
I owe you a beer but I think we will keep it to ourselves.

Glad to help...;)

napamule
October 3rd, 2015, 11:11
You mean 'logic' can be '0' or '1'. Right? Of course. But the way he used it is like you can have it BOTH ways. You can have a turbo prop cfg and air and interchange the cfg or air from a jet engined airplane (with no effect to flight dynamics). I don't think so. That is all I was saying. Changing the NAME only does not alter/edit the contents of any file. THAT is what I was pointing out. Now where were we? Oh yes. His info was 'spot on'. Really? Cheesh.
Chuck B

Jafo
October 3rd, 2015, 14:13
He had no interest in changing the contents of a file. He wanted to know how to swap one with another.

I can only assume English is not your first language.

Edit....and my reference to 'logic' was as in 'common sense' - clearly an oxymoron just like 'military intelligence'.
It certainly is not common at all....;p

youngharry
October 4th, 2015, 20:32
This forum used to be a site where flightsim enthusiasts could ask for help on a particular problem they might be experiencing. That no longer seems to be the case; some of us have 'attitudes'.
Thanks again Jafo.

Firekitten
October 5th, 2015, 09:16
Chill your grill napamule, the guys aren't doing anything wrong.

Now swapping airfile alone won't change much, aircraft.cfg also contains a lot of pertinent flight data that effects operation.

The problem begins when you swap... some aircraft have different radios, doors, systems, even amongst two identical real world types... different developers may have included different things. Also their zero point for the model may be different which will effect contact points on the ground. It all varies.

Can you swap engine data and geometry data between two files in notepad to add one developer's engine / prop / wing data to yours? yes, but simply switching files isn't a complete process.

Napamule; you were rude and didn't read their posts, nobody said swap an a380 for a cessna 172, switching between two fireflies is logical... and sorry, but logic does exist in a flight sim... computer logic... on or off, and, or... all logical statements in computer code ;)

Cees Donker
October 29th, 2018, 10:37
Most of these links don't work anymore! Is there a complete package to fix all the issues in fsx?
I'd love to fly this one in fsx.

Cees

WarHorse47
November 3rd, 2018, 14:11
If you come across any repaints, please share.

I was looking at some earlier posts by Fnerg and saw a paint scheme never released, so it would be nice to have a few more.

Cees Donker
November 3rd, 2018, 14:45
I'm busy on a Dutch scheme for this one. I'll post a sreenie tomorrow.

:untroubled:

Cees

Cees Donker
November 4th, 2018, 04:56
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-4-001.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-4-001.jpg.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-4-002.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-4-002.jpg.html)

Still a lot to do, but I'm back in business it seems.

Cees

Blackbird686
November 5th, 2018, 05:36
Nice Work, Cees!:encouragement: The ol' bird looks right at home with the new paint. What prop texture are you using... home grown? Seems the one I have is a bit on the "light" side and disappears when in the spot view, looking at the model against the ground scenery textures. Also, did you tinker with the searchlight transparency textures? Just curious...

BB686:US-flag:

Cees Donker
November 5th, 2018, 08:10
I did a version of my own and I downloade the fix present here at the OH. Don't know which one I like better. I think the searchlight is the glass_t.bmp?

Cees

Blackbird686
November 5th, 2018, 09:04
Let me check on that and I'll let you know... (glass_t.bmp).

EDIT: There are two glass textures for each paint included in the Firefly's main aircraft folder. "Glass.bmp" and "Glass_t.bmp". I'm going to go back into this one and tinker a bit. Stay tuned... ;~}

BB686:US-flag:

Cees Donker
November 11th, 2018, 02:17
I'm having a lot of fun with this model! There's only one annoying thing: the continuous beeping sound, as if you're listening to the morse code of a vor beacon. :banghead: I can't turn it off!

Cees

tgycgijoes
November 15th, 2018, 11:15
I just got through uploading this aircraft to FSX and checking it out. In the BDG RCN texture with the radars under the wings, there is a texture file missing. It is black so I know that the model is not reading it. By checking in the Mass Texture Editor in Model Converter X, I found that that file name is Plexi-T but it is not in any of the three texture folders that come with the aircraft. Can anyone who is flying this and has that file send it or post it please? In the meantime I am going to install the Majestic class CVLs and do some CARQUALS in AI Carriers. I also did something that worked that I learned from the Payware guys but youse guys already know I am sure. I create a texture folder with all the textures for the aircraft. Then the variations just have the necessary files in them that are different. In each texture folder I have the texture.cfg file pointing it to the main texture folder which BTW I DID check for Plexi-T and its nowhere to be found.

Cees Donker
November 15th, 2018, 19:35
Do you have the same beep I mentioned?

Cees

tgycgijoes
November 16th, 2018, 09:56
I have not had a chance to put it on the runway yet, just uploaded it and selected it so it was going around in the FSX preview window. That's where I saw the black dome under the right wing on the radar or searchlight (?). I'll check out the beep later when I finish with the RL interruption. Darn inconsiderate of life LOL

tgycgijoes
November 16th, 2018, 14:31
I don't have any beeps. I just reinstalled the FSX SDK and am going to convert the .cabs for the gauges. I just opened up the panel in FSPS and that 3 brake pressure gauge is beautiful but in my FS9 gauge cabs in FSX comes up in "French Blue and needles" no details. Hope that fixes it. Also I think that I just fixed the XML code for Mag 2 and if I did I will post it here. Finally, I went into the aircraft.cfg and gave it a steerable tailwheel. I know I am cheating but shoot me.
That is what I did so far besides finding "Scrubby's" Firefly looking for more on this one and downloaded it. Looking forward to flying in a little from Barkheath AB. :loyal:

tgycgijoes
November 16th, 2018, 14:42
HTH
Keith Changed it from -1 to 1 but that didn't make any difference. Its still not there though in FSPS its beautiful. I haven't given up yet. I thought I fixed Mag 2 also but not yet either. I'll keep trying. I understand simple XML gauges from years of driving the guys over at FS Developers nuts LOL.

tgycgijoes
November 16th, 2018, 15:14
Changing from -1 to a 0 worked perfectly. Changing to 1 doesn't work. Trying to find out now why Mag2 is inop. I just opened up the DS Cab and checked the XML code and it looks right to me anyway. The bmps are also there. Can't figure out why Mag2 is inop. Will do some more investigation. If you turn off Mag1 the engine is still running so from that I think that Mag2 is always on. Just did a circuit around the airport. I think that if I am going to do any carrier flying in this that I am going to have to put TrackIR back. Hat switch didn't cut it. Ended up wide of the runway and had to correct radically but made it down ok.

Cees Donker
November 17th, 2018, 03:34
After a lot of reading I found out how to get rid of the vor-beeping! At Last! The radar dome bulb is white and transparant as it was in the original FS-version after adding a copy of the glass.bmp and renaming this one as plexi_t.bmp. The bulb appears to be behind the fuselage, from a certain point of view, but that is also the case in the FS9 version.

Cees

tgycgijoes
November 17th, 2018, 06:24
Thank you for that idea I will do that later.

Cees Donker
November 17th, 2018, 08:54
Thank you for that idea I will do that later.
I oughtta thank you for the plexi_t idea!

:biggrin-new:

Cees

Cees Donker
November 17th, 2018, 12:55
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-17-002.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-17-002.jpg.html)

It's such a pretty bird!

Cees

Cees Donker
November 24th, 2018, 02:58
I'm learning a lot! Still heaps of work to do.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-24-001.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-24-001.jpg.html)

Cees

Cees Donker
November 28th, 2018, 02:21
The same applies to this one....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-28-002.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-28-002.jpg.html)

Cees

Cees Donker
November 29th, 2018, 00:50
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-29-001.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-29-001.jpg.html)
The other side of the nose, done with a completely different approach.

Cees

Cees Donker
November 29th, 2018, 03:55
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-29-008.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-29-008.jpg.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-nov-29-007.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-nov-29-007.jpg.html)

Looks better now!

Cees

Cees Donker
December 5th, 2018, 03:21
Spot the differences!

:jump:

Cees

BTW: how can I get my screenies bigger?

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/firefly-2018-dec-5-006.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/firefly-2018-dec-5-006.jpg.html)

nschley
July 29th, 2019, 22:21
Hi Cees,
did you ever post these textures?

br Norbert

ToniJH
July 29th, 2019, 22:35
If you want bigger screenshots, press "V" letter in your sim, it will automatically save screenshot into your Windows/User name documents/Pictures/FSX/P3D/FS9 folder. I usually upload my pictures to Flickr.com and then link screenshot to forums

Cees Donker
July 30th, 2019, 11:14
Hi Cees,
did you ever post these textures?

br Norbert

Hahaha! No I didn't! I didn't think anyone was interested!

Cees