PDA

View Full Version : wildfires in december

Daveroo
December 21st, 2011, 07:46
last night at 7:48pm CalFire dispatched a full wildland dispatch for a vegitation fire near highway 193 west of Newcastle california..(area of Auburn/Linclon).it was an out of hours burn pile that got into some scrub oaks and then took off in to the under brush. was 5 CalFire engines,a dozer ,2 hand crews,4 local (LRA)engines,2 watertenders..and several placer county deputies for traffic control..

i know this is a non-news item really...BUT...its DECEMBER 20th ( yes i know today is the 21st)and were still having wildfires here.....this is not good....there is almost no snow on the sierra nevada crest,were either going to get drenched in jan/feb or burned this next summer....and weve lost the P3s from aero union........

TARPSBird
December 21st, 2011, 11:50
This past summer and going into the fall we had to put up with a constantly burning (and foul-smelling) fire in the Dismal Swamp along the VA/NC border. The fire went underground in the root network and swamp debris. I'm not sure when they extinguished it, but next year lightning or a careless camper will probably start the whole cycle over again. Too bad rich people don't build houses in the Dismal Swamp, those fires would be put out as soon as they ignite. :icon_lol:

SPman
December 21st, 2011, 16:50
Out here in West Australia, we're looking at a potential fire intense summer. There've already been a couple of large fires down south.

A winter of average rainfall (we've had 10 yrs of below average) has created a larger than usual under burden....a few days of high 30s and the firebugs that come out of the woodwork......