PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a realistic Me-262

Daube
December 19th, 2011, 01:33
Hi guys,

The Me-262 is one of the most beautiful and legendary piece of flying metal I've ever seen. Part of the legend comes from its performance, another part of the legend comes from how challenging it was to fly, mainly because of the extremely unstable engines, that required very smooth throttle operations in order not to explode, take fire or simply stop working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_I9j4xUPE&feature=player_embedded

Now, it was very hard but I finally accepted the idea that A2A will never produce an Accusim Me-262... or at least, not before 10 years.

So what are the alternatives out there ?
I'm only aware of the Flight Replicas one, which is native FSX, beautiful outside, beautiful inside.. but I fear it might be about as challenging as the default Learjet. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.
So before I buy the Flight Replicas Me-262, I would like to know if anything else exists.

Thanks in advance for your replies/advises.

P38man
December 19th, 2011, 02:52
I would love to add something like RealEngine 1.2 to it but it only works with prop planes.

Lovely plane but unlike IL2 1946 no flaming engines for jets in FSX ? (maybe some developer has done one?)

Daube
December 19th, 2011, 07:07
Gauges and modules can do anything that FSX can't. That's why FSX is such a good platform for addon creators :)
FSX doesn't offer spark plug fooling, but Accusim does. And when the Accusim F-104 will finally get released (in 93 years or so), we'll have a chance to see what other FSX limitations have been eradicated :)

fliger747
December 19th, 2011, 11:46
The reason the Jumo 004 was so difficult to operate was because it essentially had no fuel control unit, but the thrust lever was just a fuel cock.

A fuel control unit, when they finally came along, had various bellows and pressure chambers, and govenor flyweights (for RPM) to modulet the fuel change rate to match the engine state and reduce the change rate for fuel flow. An engine will flame out if one goes into the too rich or too lean area of the mixture envelope. EPR, or engine pressure ratio was a decent way to monitor what the amount of flow through the engine and was used through the various bellows etc to help keep the fuel miture correct.

Working without a fuel control would be a bit like running a piston engine without a carburator, you could do it.... but it wouldn't be pretty!

Chers: T

Bone
December 19th, 2011, 11:51
Working without a fuel control would be a bit like running a piston engine without a carburator, you could do it.... but it wouldn't be pretty!

Chers: T

Not very pretty, or very healthy either.

Gibbage
December 19th, 2011, 16:08
Another big problem with the Me-262's engines was lack of good metals due to the war. They had to use sub-par metals in the engines, reducing its time between major overhauls to just 20 hours!!! Just think, that during the height of the war, there best weapon had to have its engine's replaced every 20 hours!!!!

N2056
December 19th, 2011, 16:35
I got to try the Flight Replicas one, and thought it was very well done.

Kiwikat
December 19th, 2011, 17:19
I'm only aware of the Flight Replicas one, which is native FSX, beautiful outside, beautiful inside.. but I fear it might be about as challenging as the default Learjet. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

That is a good assessment. It isn't a complex addon at all. It is however, cooler and a lot more fun than the default lear. I'd say it is well worth the price of admission compared to other products in the price range. :wavey:

fliger747
December 19th, 2011, 20:23
I do like Mikes planes. You might be able to replicate how the plane flew if you were good by having a low spool rate.

The overhaul time was often as low as 10 hours. This was one of the very early axial flow engines, an efficient design with good materials, which didn't exist yet. One clever advanced feature was the use of hollow blades which had air passing through them to help in cooling.

For the time the centrifugal flow engines, which worked like superchargers of the time, were more practical given the materials and metallurgy available.

Some gauge guy could probably do a throttle rate of movement failure addon.

T

bstolle
December 19th, 2011, 20:50
Some gauge guy could probably do a throttle rate of movement failure addon.
T

We had that feature in the brand new FR 262. New FDE, new everything, but since a very long time I haven't heard anything from Mike.

calypsos
December 20th, 2011, 00:43
I fly the Flight Replicas 262 a lot, I tend to think of it as a modern 21st century build 262, as it's pretty reliable! having said that, spool up is slow and the model flies so sweetly compared to many warbirds in FSX. I would not bother with two seater, as (for some odd reason) the only default seating is from the back seat, behind the radar set!!!!!

Daube
December 20th, 2011, 01:51
We had that feature in the brand new FR 262. New FDE, new everything, but since a very long time I haven't heard anything from Mike.

Wait... does that mean there was a new model planned for the FR 262 ?
If so, then probably I should wait for it, instead of buying the actual model, right ?

In any case, thanks a lot for the clarifications about the currently available 262, gentlemen. :ernae:

fliger747
December 20th, 2011, 07:57
Mike CYUL an outhouse member is a very talented "one man band". Bernt has helped him out by revisiting the flight dynamics on a couple of his planes, including the very nice Super Cub series. Given how long it takes for a team to do anything in FSX, not surprising if things might ocassionally move slowly.

Cheers: Tom

Stickshaker
December 20th, 2011, 10:06
I fly the Flight Replicas 262 a lot, I tend to think of it as a modern 21st century build 262, as it's pretty reliable! having said that, spool up is slow and the model flies so sweetly compared to many warbirds in FSX. I would not bother with two seater, as (for some odd reason) the only default seating is from the back seat, behind the radar set!!!!!

Hit the A key a few times and you're in front. Then remove the pilot's head by ckicking the clickspot on one of the bolts on the lower left canopy frame (can't remember which one).

Wozza
December 20th, 2011, 17:11
Hi Mate
Mikes still around....(so am I...as if anyone noticed pppppft :D ) think he's taking a bit of a brake for other projects and family
if you have a facebook account pop on as he occasionally post there
Wozza

calypsos
December 20th, 2011, 23:31
Hit the A key a few times and you're in front. Then remove the pilot's head by ckicking the clickspot on one of the bolts on the lower left canopy frame (can't remember which one).

Thanks, I missed the bit about getting rid of the head in my instructions!

Daube
December 29th, 2011, 03:34
I finally bought the Me-262A and B package.
As I expected, the plane has quite a nice exterior and interior model, and the flight model is interesting.

However, the default sounds seem to be from the default 737, which is very dissapointing. Also, the plane seems a bit overpowered and over-manoeuverable compared to what I could see in IL-2 series.
I wrote that the plane may be as challenging as the default Learjet, but the reality is that the default Learjet might be more challenging to fly than this Me-262.
But at least it looks nice, and I really wanted a Me-262 anyways, so I'm happy I could get this one. I hope they will build a realistic one in future.

Roadburner440
December 29th, 2011, 04:00
I personally like the Flight Replica's Me-262. I have flown their aircraft for years (they were some of the first addons I ever bought for FSX), and I still fly them to this day. If you really want a challenge buy their Go-229, and try flying that! That bird is very difficult. Especially trying to land it. Certaintly 2 additions I am glad to have in my hangar seeing as they are far under represented in FS.

Daube
December 29th, 2011, 05:18
Sorry, which Go_229 are you talking about ? I can't see it on their website ?

Roadburner440
December 29th, 2011, 10:35
The Flight Replica Me-262 was made in conjunction with these guys (I bought it from Sky Unlimited myself, but it is the same Me-262 you have).. This guy made the Go-229 on his own. Very nice airplane, and like I said very difficult to fly. I have a lot of fun with it. Especially since it has so little power. If you get behind the ball in the 229 you may as well kiss you butt good bye.

http://www.skyunlimited.net/gotha229.htm

http://www.skyunlimited.net/id2me262_fsx.htm There is their sale page for the same Me-262 from Flight Replica's. Enjoy.

Daube
December 29th, 2011, 14:47
Thanks for those links, I completely forgot about this company.

Roadburner440
December 29th, 2011, 16:32
Thanks for those links, I completely forgot about this company.

You are welcome. It seems a lot of people have. I started out on their P-38's (is my favorite plane in the world after all), and got the later models series (L, K). Then when Just Flight came out with theirs the Sky Unlimited ones were still used, but not as much as I liked JF's model/texture more. Then of course when we at Milviz worked with FSD to create our P-38 that is the one that see's primary duty for me now.. I still use SU's 262 and Go-229 though, and I do occassionally fly the P-38's for the models that have never been redone (K, and night surveillance model). Seems like he quite making birds though which is a shame. A lot of his models were done a long time ago, and they still hold up to the test of time. I do wish A2A would do an Accu-sim 262 though. That would be fun. Supposidly there is a BF-109 in the works, so here is to hoping. :icon29: