PDA

View Full Version : And Developers wonder why we post questions/complaints here.

jmig
December 18th, 2011, 11:07
I purchased the Vertigo Studios RV-8 recently and really enjoy the aircraft. It flies like I would expect something like a RV-8 to fly. It is fun and snappy to fly. I recommend it to anyone who wants this kind of airplane.

However, on take off, it seems like it doesn't want to fly. You have to accelerate to about 95 kts and give a lot of back pressure. The plane then jumps off the runway and you need to shove the stick forward to keep it flying. This puzzled me?

So I tied to go the the Vertigo Studios to post the question. This is my third or fourth purchase from VS. I tried to sign in but it didn't recognize the first three passwords attempts? So I decided to have them send me the password. I entered my email and then answered the 'random' question to prove I am human. The question is who made the C-47 skytrain. I tried McDonald, Douglas, and McDonald Douglas. None worked. Three times I went back and every time I had the same 'random' question. I couldn't get another question, for which maybe I knew the answer. I will be damned if I will go Goggling just to prove I am human.

I am writing because if a developer doesn't make it easy and convenient for purchasers of their products to ask questions and post comments, we will be coming to sites like SOH to complain. The KISS principle works with developers' sites too.

BTW Dean, I am still waiting for the email I have gotten in the past with my license code. It took me 30-45 minutes to figure out what the installer was asking for and to find it on the site where I bought the airplane. I would have asked about this too, if I could have gotten to the forum.

Great airplane. Service....... maybe not so good.

airattackimages
December 18th, 2011, 11:13
It should be Douglas.

But if it were McDonnell Douglas you would be spelling it wrong. ;) You're spelling the restaraunt.

airattackimages
December 18th, 2011, 11:20
Oh by the way, try "Douglas Aircraft". See if it likes that. :)

pbearsailor
December 18th, 2011, 11:23
I've always had almost immediate reponse from Deano when I've filed a support ticket on the Vertigo site. Last time was a little thing on the RV and he answered at 1 o'clock in the morning, his time.

Their forum says it's not for support issues.

cheers,
Steve :wavey:

Deano
December 18th, 2011, 11:33
Please see my replies underlined and in green below.

I purchased the Vertigo Studios RV-8 recently and really enjoy the aircraft. It flies like I would expect something like a RV-8 to fly. It is fun and snappy to fly. I recommend it to anyone who wants this kind of airplane.

However, on take off, it seems like it doesn't want to fly. You have to accelerate to about 95 kts and give a lot of back pressure. The plane then jumps off the runway and you need to shove the stick forward to keep it flying. This puzzled me?

Ive personally have never flown a RV8, however, we had a RV8 owner on the beta team and the take off issue wasn't mentioned.

So I tied to go the the Vertigo Studios to post the question. This is my third or fourth purchase from VS. I tried to sign in but it didn't recognize the first three passwords attempts? So I decided to have them send me the password. I entered my email and then answered the 'random' question to prove I am human. The question is who made the C-47 skytrain. I tried McDonald, Douglas, and McDonald Douglas. None worked. Three times I went back and every time I had the same 'random' question. I couldn't get another question, for which maybe I knew the answer. I will be damned if I will go Goggling just to prove I am human.

Forums are raw meat for bots and spammers, precautions are in place to prevent this. The Human verification is keyword sensitive, we had a couple of people complain about it in the past because we used a capital D in douglas, which we then altered to suit and kept the first letter in lowercase "douglas"

I am writing because if a developer doesn't make it easy and convenient for purchasers of their products to ask questions and post comments, we will be coming to sites like SOH to complain. The KISS principle works with developers' sites too.

<u>On vertigo studios website we have '3' options for a customer to contact us,

#1 is via support ticket http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/helpdesk/ (http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/helpdesk/)

#2 is via a direct contact form http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/contact-us (http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/contact-us)

#3 is the forums. http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/ (http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/)

I don't know what else to offer a means of contact me ?</u>

BTW Dean, I am still waiting for the email I have gotten in the past with my license code. It took me 30-45 minutes to figure out what the installer was asking for and to find it on the site where I bought the airplane. I would have asked about this too, if I could have gotten to the forum.

#1 I've not received an email, where did you send the mail to ? I provide support from around 0800 till 0200 daily

#2 Where did you purchase it from, pcsimstore.com ?

<u>
On pcsimstore there's '2' ways of contacting the sales team :

#1 top of the page is a contact us http://www.pcsimstore.com/contact-us.html (http://www.pcsimstore.com/contact-us.html)

#2 difficulty with license keys / activation keys ? there is a FAQ page on top of the main page http://www.pcsimstore.com/faq.html (http://www.pcsimstore.com/faq.html)

What other form would you like to contact the sales team.</u>
Great airplane. Service....... maybe not so good.

Only time I maybe away from the keyboard is if I'm exhausted, watching Merlin on BBC1 or arguing with the wife on who's turn it is to wash the pots after a feast :)

Barnes
December 18th, 2011, 11:43
This sounds an odd as I have always found Dean and team very fast in response to my enquries.

jmig
December 18th, 2011, 12:38
Dean,

First of all, if I was overboard, I apologize. My comments were made to point out what I consider less than convenient access to your forums.

1. I didn't really think the model had a takeoff issue. That is why I wanted to go on your site and see what others had experienced. I will fly the RV-7 and RV-8 to compare the takeoff. Regardless, I like the airplane.

2. I looked for but did not see the "Contact Us" link on the site. My error.

3. I understand the "human" interface. However, don't say "random" question when it is really one selected and unchangeable (except by you). Not all humans know the answer to "Who built the DC-3?" Then, if I understand you correctly, you changed the answer from Douglas to douglas, because some members were too lazy to hit the shift key? That doesn't help old farts like me, who still capitalize. I expected a new question when I reloaded the page. I didn't get one. Changing the question or word pattern on reloading is standard procedure on sites, I expect the same on your site.

4. With every other aircraft I have purchased from you, I received an email which listed the start codes. I copy and paste these into a notebook file and keep them with the download. I never received it this time. I received a thank you email and a download link, but that was all. I didn't ask for the codes because I found them after 30 mins. of searching.

To be fair to you, the post here was in a large part to the time it took me yesterday to get the plane flying. I gad purchased it a week ago but didn't have time to fly. I was rushed yesterday morning and wanted to do a quick flight, only to be stymied by the lack of a code. Then today when I wanted to quickly post a quick question, I can't get pass the gate keeper.

Make it easy on us consumers please. I know you have tried. This time, I don't think it worked.

Thanks for a great model. It was well worth the investment.

Deano
December 18th, 2011, 13:19
Dean,

First of all, if I was overboard, I apologize. My comments were made to point out what I consider less than convenient access to your forums.

1. I didn't really think the model had a takeoff issue. That is why I wanted to go on your site and see what others had experienced. I will fly the RV-7 and RV-8 to compare the takeoff. Regardless, I like the airplane.

2. I looked for but did not see the "Contact Us" link on the site. My error.

3. I understand the "human" interface. However, don't say "random" question when it is really one selected and unchangeable (except by you). Not all humans know the answer to "Who built the DC-3?" Then, if I understand you correctly, you changed the answer from Douglas to douglas, because some members were too lazy to hit the shift key? That doesn't help old farts like me, who still capitalize. I expected a new question when I reloaded the page. I didn't get one. Changing the question or word pattern on reloading is standard procedure on sites, I expect the same on your site.

4. With every other aircraft I have purchased from you, I received an email which listed the start codes. I copy and paste these into a notebook file and keep them with the download. I never received it this time. I received a thank you email and a download link, but that was all. I didn't ask for the codes because I found them after 30 mins. of searching.

To be fair to you, the post here was in a large part to the time it took me yesterday to get the plane flying. I gad purchased it a week ago but didn't have time to fly. I was rushed yesterday morning and wanted to do a quick flight, only to be stymied by the lack of a code. Then today when I wanted to quickly post a quick question, I can't get pass the gate keeper.

Make it easy on us consumers please. I know you have tried. This time, I don't think it worked.

Thanks for a great model. It was well worth the investment.

Random, it is - I could have chosen any question and answer. Changing / adding different questions would only cause more problems and is easier for me to maintain.

A simple contact us or looking at the FAQ page as to where you have purchased it from would have saved you alot of time. Unfortunately vstudios or pcsimstore is unable to accommodate everyones wishes without upsetting others. Additionally a PM via SOH would have sufficed.

Deano
December 18th, 2011, 15:44
For clarity in regards to orders placed on pcsimstore.com, its a '2' click process to retrieve License Keys, Download Links and Printable invoices.

#1 Once logged in to pcsimstore, located on the right hand side you will see a heading called "My Account", below this you will see "orders" click here
#2 Once the orders page opens, click on your product order number and all product details, keys and a download link will be displayed.

Regards
Deano

JAllen
December 18th, 2011, 18:16
Just to balance this thread a little. I used the system, made the purchase, typed in Douglas and it all worked fine for me.
Age 65 and still it worked on first try.

This little plane is just fine too. DL'd a few repaints and been flying quite happily. My toe brakes are a bit touchy and wrecked me a couple times but that's good now. Tried the canopy tint on a couple where I thought it might look good and liking that too. Thank you YoYo and Deano, darned nice job in my view.

Jim