PDA

View Full Version : Orbx Releases S43 Harvey Field (North America - Payware)

JayKae
December 18th, 2011, 00:26
Rustic rural charm.

Located in Snohomish Washington and snuggled between the Snohomish River and surrounding farms, S43 Harvey Field is the continuation of Heiko Glatthorn and Andreas Hegi's tip of the hat to classic airfields which we all enjoyed in FS2004. This time though, expect their usual seriously amped visuals and fanatical attention to detail this developer duo have now become renowned for. Featuring exquistely modelled houses, hangars, cafe and many other buildings in the precinct, everything has been based on photos taken on-site and there is a distinct feeling of being at the actual airport itself, such is the authenticity of this scenery. S43 also features a large photoreal area with full seasonal support which seamlessly joins their W16 Monroe project.

Ground imagery at 30cm per pixel
Fully custom modeled airport and houses
FSX gmax poly runway, aprons and lights
Surrounding farms and housing included
Includes the latest Orbx "Flow" technologies
Atmospheric night lighting at the airport
Dense vegetation options for amazing realism
Extensive Control Panel choices for best FPS
Includes custom GA AI Traffic movements
Photoreal seamlessly joins W16 Monroe
Expert 5 seasons color matched imagery
By the YHBA/1S2/3W5/KORS/2WA1 team!

More info: http://www.fullterrain.com/product_usS43.html

Mithrin
December 18th, 2011, 02:58
Sure looks pretty but I won't buy any Orbx airports anymore. Even with most things turned down in the control panel for the airfield I still get crappy fps. And to be honest who wants to turn all the goodies down. When you buy something you want it to look at its best. PC upgrade is not an option unless I win the lotery. Sad but true. I can't live with 10fps approaches, not the way I fly. ;)

Certainly a beautiful looking product though, based on the screens.

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 05:02
this could very well be my last product also only because I pre-ordered it. Sad but true fact is the FPS in the lateyt airports has ruined it for me. I think it has something to do with the ground textures but I can't be sure. I know have to fly away from those airportds or uninstall them so that they don't interferr with the normal PNW product.

danyboy21
December 18th, 2011, 05:31
Currently downloading ... :salute:

TeaSea
December 18th, 2011, 05:48
Won't be for everyone, but it certainly looks intriguing. You guys at ORBX certainly have become quite prolific and creative.

I'd like a good cup of whatever you're drinking to keep up the pace!:icon_lol:

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 06:20
well..I've downloaded and installed and after a small experiment I think I've found one of my issues. If I disable the objectflow.dll my frame rates skyrocket. Sadly....it also does away with the grass and bushes. I wish there were a way to have them without the object flow but.......oh well......if I want to do screen shots I'll enable the dll again. Off for more experimenting.

spotlope
December 18th, 2011, 10:48
Which airport were you at when you noticed the slowdown with ObjectFlow? This is something I want to do some follow-up testing with.

thanks,
Bill

well..I've downloaded and installed and after a small experiment I think I've found one of my issues. If I disable the objectflow.dll my frame rates skyrocket. Sadly....it also does away with the grass and bushes. I wish there were a way to have them without the object flow but.......oh well......if I want to do screen shots I'll enable the dll again. Off for more experimenting.

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 13:48
Spot....the airports I am having issues with are KBVS (ground textures are very blurry, especially the runways as compared to your other airports I think they are below your normal standard), 74S, W52 (not as bad as 74S), and and now S43. To be honest I dont have a top of the line PC but until these airports I was getting 30 FPS with no stutter or issues with all sliders turned up.

Is it possible that your different teams are using different tachniques at doing the sceneries?

Roger
December 18th, 2011, 14:06
I might try unchecking some of the flow options. I find the route from Skagit via Israel's and down the valley to Concrete needs pausing about every 3 minutes for the ground textures to catch up. Shame because that's a really nice scenic route if I had a top notch pc.

spotlope
December 18th, 2011, 14:11
Spot....the airports I am having issues with are KBVS (ground textures are very blurry, especially the runways as compared to your other airports I think they are below your normal standard), 74S, W52 (not as bad as 74S), and and now S43. To be honest I dont have a top of the line PC but until these airports I was getting 30 FPS with no stutter or issues with all sliders turned up.

Is it possible that your different teams are using different tachniques at doing the sceneries?

My initial thought is that it's not ObjectFlow that's causing the slowdowns, but the amount of stuff that OF is trying to display, coupled with your hardware. I don't want to get too far into support here in a release announcement thread, but if you bring this over to our support forums, maybe we can provide some more insight.

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 14:19
I tried to log in but could not. I no longer have my old email and it won't let me re-registor for some reason.

Pleas edon't get me wrong.....if you look me up, if thats possble, you will see I own all the PNW region products but I am getting a little reluctant. I know as time goes by we all upgrade our systems but I think that the developers systems excide many of the arm chair flyers. I know you offer some changes within the control panel but......I've tried all I can at these airports especially KBVS and 74S and even with disabling the object flow I'm still only getting an average of 13-17 FPS and blurry textures even when parked and not moving. On these sceneries it appears that the runway markings are part of the scenery where as the other use the in sim markings.

Can you help me get back into the forums?

Felixthreeone
December 18th, 2011, 16:35
Well, i'm not sure a higher-end PC is the solution, either. I have a 2600K running a stable 4.8ghz, with 8gb of solid ram and an EVGA GTX-580 superclocked card....and Anacortes just about brings it to its knees. Skagit...not so much. Haven't installed Harvey yet...downloading now. But, if Harvey is anywhere near the level of complexity of Anacortes, I am in trouble. Mind you, none of this is with 'maxed sliders'. Quite the contrary. I even have natureflow off at 74S. Go figure....

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 17:04
ok...also noticed something else......the runway markings are now part of the objectflow? why would that be? I have it disabled and they are no longer there as is the compass rose on the ramp. With it enabled they are their.......wierd.

spotlope
December 18th, 2011, 17:10
I tried to log in but could not. I no longer have my old email and it won't let me re-registor for some reason.

Pleas edon't get me wrong.....if you look me up, if thats possble, you will see I own all the PNW region products but I am getting a little reluctant. I know as time goes by we all upgrade our systems but I think that the developers systems excide many of the arm chair flyers. I know you offer some changes within the control panel but......I've tried all I can at these airports especially KBVS and 74S and even with disabling the object flow I'm still only getting an average of 13-17 FPS and blurry textures even when parked and not moving. On these sceneries it appears that the runway markings are part of the scenery where as the other use the in sim markings.

Can you help me get back into the forums?

What happens when you try to re-register? If you no longer have access to the email address you used for your original registration, creating a new account is probably your best option.

koorby
December 18th, 2011, 17:14
To dispel a myth, very few of the Orbx development and testing team have NASA PCs. In fact, I think there's only one 2600k out of 60 people. My PC specs are quite modest by today's standards, and my rig is now over two years old:

i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz (Air Cooled) | Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME Mobo | 12GB DDR3@1600 | GTX580 1.5GB | 2x 150GB WD V-raptors in RAID-0 + 2x 1TB Samsung 7200's in RAID-1 on Adaptec_1430SA | Samsung 40" LED TV @ 1920x1080 | Thermaltake Spedo Case | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | Windows7 64-bit | nVidia Driver 285.62 | Vanilla fsx.cfg, no tweaks

If I do a standard install of S43 (i.e. out of the box without changing any control panel settings) and follow the included User Guide slider suggestions, I get a very comfortable and sustainable 25FPS at all areas of the airport, on the ground, during approaches, during circuits etc. In fact, if I use the bundled "FTX Day" switcher, I can increase my autogen to Extremely Dense and maintain those FPS, or actually get over 35 with some views.

So I am a little befuddled why folks with super computers are reporting anything less than respectable frames, particularly when the default out-of-the box S43 settings offer so much eye candy that it's hard to know where to begin to look, there's so much happening.

Yes of course, tick all the CP boxes to maximum and you will of course have FPS impacted, but you should really just try running the scenery out of the box as Heiko and Andreas intended for default settings and you will probably not miss the extra eye candy. After all, that's the very reason we began shipping control panels with our airports - not so you can crank everything up to max, but so we can offer scenery products that will scale with your future hardware upgrades.

Incidentally, ObjectFlow is not the culprit at all. It simply control the placement of 3D objects given certain date/time and other conditions. However, if you have maxxed all the options in the Control Panel, and then disable ObjectFlow, there can likely be a perception that it's the culprit, when in fact it's the display of thousands of 3D long grass and animated grass objects that are impacting FPS. Pointing the blame at ObjectFlow per se is erroneous and you could achieve improved performance by simply running with the default Control Panel options.

skyhawka4m
December 18th, 2011, 17:24
sorry.....taking this to their forums folks.......

Felixthreeone
December 18th, 2011, 18:22
Well, I just finished installation and application of the PNW 4a patch. I only have one thing to say about this scenery.

FANTASTIIIIC! Holy moly!!!!!! Performance is very, very good...even with 'very dense' autogen setting...and an orbx weather theme filling the skies with crazy clouds!! On 30 locked, I average between 23-30fps. On unlimited, however, my frames go up significantly. I get a slight bit of a stutter, but no more than I get elsewhere, to be honest. And wow! The eye candy truly is everywhere! I absolutely love seeing the hot air balloons and all the activity everywhere!! No problems with texture loading, either. Well, nothing serious. I use TrackIR and EZdok together so I am always panning/zooming/switching views...and it seems to load fairly quick. I am going to go fly some more. This is one heck of an airfield, ORBX guys. Truly does justice to the FS addon/Georender from my FS9 days...Glad to have it again and better than ever!