PDA

View Full Version : Fanfare greets Intrepid upon return to Manhattan

bearcat241
October 2nd, 2008, 16:10
:medals: She's home again!!!!! :medals:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_re_us/intrepid_returns

Jagdflieger
October 2nd, 2008, 16:50
Welome home to the Intrepid. I'd love to tour her someday.

Talon
October 2nd, 2008, 16:55
I seen her many times when in NYC and she was always a sight to see.

I remember when I was a youngster going to see the Fleet when it came into NY.We toured a submarine a destroyer and the Carrier Randoph.

While I was at Pearl the Missouri.

Talon

Fibber
October 2nd, 2008, 19:51
I have been to the Intrepid several times. The Medal of Honor exhibit is impressive.
Short story, when I was in the service we operated with her in her ASW configuration. At one time I had pictures of her in a storm taking seas down the Flight deck. I was on a accompanying 'Grey ghost" at the time. I then saw her while we replenished underway in the Indian Ocean when they were coming home from WestPacat (1967).
On a visit I was with my wife in the wheelhouse. We were alone (originally) and I proceeded to explain to my wife how to steer a ship (I was a qualified helmsman on a destroyer), helm procedures, and steerage and the tricks we would attempt to play on the OOD on the mid-watches. Especially the ones we thought were doufeses and dorks.
Halfway through my impromptu presentation I became aware that there were several people behind me. I apologized for taking the space so long. One man had several children with him laughed and said to please continue. The kids, and he, were impressed by my presentation and wanted to know more.
If in the Apple visit it. Just be aware that car parking is a tad expensiveon the piers and a lot of the area is restricted parking and the fines are a wallet breaker.

Allen
October 2nd, 2008, 22:31
She looks nothing Essex-class of WWII after Modernization's. It's hard to belive she looked like a larger Yorktown class at one time than a small Forrestal class.

OBIO
October 2nd, 2008, 23:57
While sitting in the Surgical Waiting Room as my wife had her skull opened up again (good news all around from it though), I saw some coverage on the carrier returning to port...the over head shot of the deck showed an impressive display of beautiful Navy aircraft. F9F Panther...my all time favorite Navy jet. F3D Skynight.

OBIO

miamieagle
October 3rd, 2008, 05:02
Thank you for the good news. God knows we need some good news!:jump:

Emil Frand
October 3rd, 2008, 12:45
The Intrepid was actually my last "duty" carrier when it was in the Philly navy yard. It was being decked out with ww2 and some modern planes for the 1976 bi-centennial celebrations. My job was to paint the planes, did an Avenger,Hellcat and finished a Crusader before I was discharged.
On a sader note I recently visited the Philly navy yard to see the carrier I was active on recently put into mothballs.....USS John F Kennedy.
http://www.dodvclips.mil/?fr_story=FRdamp261718&rf=sitemap