PDA

View Full Version : Transparent fs2002 skins

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 13:08
I just managed with a lot of help from Morton to convert the fs2002 Ryan Sta1 to cfs2 using MDLC on a windows 7 64 bit machine.(I dearly wish I still had my old windows xp 32bit machine but its all gone away to the junk.]My problem is the skin is transparent which I understand is because it has alpha channels and needs to be converted to a DXT3 format.How is that accomplished? Any help will be greatly appreciated.BLONDI:cost1:

oldwheat
December 15th, 2011, 13:26
Piece of cake!! Use Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility & save the files in DXT1 or extended 16 bit 565. Of course if certain transparency alphas are needed for an effect it can get a little more complicated but not much. If you run into a snag for any reason, send 'em over & I'll tweak them for you.

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 14:15
Piece of cake!! Use Martin Wright's DXTbmp utility & save the files in DXT1 or extended 16 bit 565. Of course if certain transparency alphas are needed for an effect it can get a little more complicated but not much. If you run into a snag for any reason, send 'em over & I'll tweak them for you.

:wavey:Thank you old wheat. I shall investigate weather I might already have this program.Have a good one.BLONDI:cost1:

oldwheat
December 15th, 2011, 14:53
You will most likely be needing this also = One of those .BMPs that require an alpha channel :salute: ..

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 16:15
You will most likely be needing this also = One of those .BMPs that require an alpha channel :salute: ..

Ok,admitting I am not a texture guru. I need to know step by step how to use martins dtxbmp file.I found 4 texture files inside the texture folder that seem to deal with the outside orf the ac.the part thats transparent.The others were cockpit files that seem to be fine.I loaded the first file and it showed up in dtxbmp.:confused:Now I looked around in Martins file and find nothing that says click here to save this file as a DTX1 orDTX3. instructions are just about non existent.What do I do next for the next 3 or 4 nexts?BLONDI:cost1:
ps the file you sent me is also a mystery.what do I do with it?

The B24 Guy
December 15th, 2011, 16:28
Hi Blondi,

When you have the texture in DTXbitmap just choose (file-save as) and you will get a menu of choices.

Hope this helps,

B24Guy

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 19:46
Hi Blondi,

When you have the texture in DTXbitmap just choose (file-save as) and you will get a menu of choices.

Hope this helps,

B24Guy

Hi B24GUY,yep,thats my problem,which one do I choose.I did find them but none say save as DTX1 or DTX3???So which one will show up in cfs2?BLONDI
p.s. I already know the one that saves as an ace file does not show up.

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 20:49
Hi Blondi,

Hope this helps,

B24Guy

OK, after some playing around I found that the 24 bit bitmap is the only one that works.instead of a transparentsy I have a solid silver plane with no decales or rivets. I presume they are on the apha channel and are not saving with the rest of the texture.How do I get it all saved? BLONDI:cost1:

Blondi
December 15th, 2011, 20:53

I did open your alpha channel and see what it is.Usually your right. I would be looking for american markings but in this case I need Dutch oarnge triangles.Have you got any of those?:)BLONDI:cost1:

oldwheat
December 15th, 2011, 21:07
I was afraid that you were going that route! Might be a problem as the plane seems to have texture mapping for only a certain section of the wing i& most likely won't be 'skinning' friendly! I'll take a closer look though, just maybe.

Luck was with us! The dutch wing insignias can be placed on the wingd ( in a limited area) after all. Of course, the actual planes might have lacked markings on the upper wing. but hey, artistic license!

oldwheat
December 15th, 2011, 22:59
Try this one. It's about as close as you can get with the limitations.

Blondi
December 16th, 2011, 04:49
Try this one. It's about as close as you can get with the limitations.

Thank you old wheat.I'm going to presume this goes right in the texture file.They had orange triangles on top of the wings, and on each side.I will see if I can find a picture.Morton sent me more info on how to save to a dds 565 file.going to try that after I go:running: find a cup of coffee.I had to put a cfs2 airfile in this aircraft[Stinson L5]. by doing so the pilot and passenger disappeared.The original fs2002 airfile worked but as soon as freeflight launched the ac wandered and floated all over the place then blew up like it crashed.All this before I even started the engine.The pilot,and passenger were right there thru the whole thing though.Its just fine with the Stinson airfile but no passenger or pilot.Any thoughts on how to make the original aifile work??Have a good one Blondi.

Blondi
December 16th, 2011, 06:55
Thank you old wheat.I'm going to presume this goes right in the texture file.They had orange triangles on top of the wings, and on each side.I will see if I can find a picture.Morton sent me more info on how to save to a dds 565 file.going to try that after I go:running: find a cup of coffee.I had to put a cfs2 airfile in this aircraft[Stinson L5]. by doing so the pilot and passenger disappeared.The original fs2002 airfile worked but as soon as freeflight launched the ac wandered and floated all over the place then blew up like it crashed.All this before I even started the engine.The pilot,and passenger were right there thru the whole thing though.Its just fine with the Stinson airfile but no passenger or pilot.Any thoughts on how to make the original aifile work??Have a good one Blondi.

:ernae:OLD Wheat,Your suggestion to use DTXBMP worked.Mortons instructions worked as well.How he put up with me as one of his more inept students I don't know but it worked. Exept for the original airfile it works fine.Your insignia worked great.can we get it on the side as well.Also can the red pinstrips on the side and spats be eliminated some way?The Ryan insignia on the tail could probably stay.Need to find someone who knows how to tweak this airfile if you don't have any idea's.have a good one .BLONDI
:cost1:

sc7500
December 16th, 2011, 08:20
Here Blondi - Try this one....:wavey:

SC
:kilroy:

Blondi
December 16th, 2011, 16:33
Here Blondi - Try this one....:wavey:

SC

Hi sc7500,When I tried to install it my computer said it was damaged and uninstallable.I don't know what happened.Thank you anyway.Blondi

i will pm you my e-mail if you want to send it that way.

sc7500
December 16th, 2011, 16:54
Blondi, you have email waiting
Please check your Greymail basket too - sometimes my files end up there by mistake !

Best :guinness:
SC