PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Strange...and I'm STUMPED

rpjkw
December 14th, 2011, 19:00
Late this afternoon I heard what I thought was a jet on initial approach to ABQ Sunport. Being an incorrigible aircraft watcher, I of course had to look. I saw a Cessna light single, like a 172, BUT it sounded just like an Eclipse VLJ or a Cessna 501 turbojet. It was slowly making 360s at about 1500 AGL, at times almost overheard, so there was no mistaking it for a Cessna or that it was indeed making the jet noise. I was unable to see a prop, which isn't unusual. To confirm I wasn't hearing things, a 737 also flew overhead enroute ABQ for landing and they sounded identical!

Can anyone shed some light on what I saw/heard? The mystery is driving crazy and I don't have that much sanity remaining that I can waste any more.

Bob

Daveroo
December 14th, 2011, 19:46
has rod serling come to you in any dreams reciently?

ok im joking.....i have no clue.....im curoous myself

srgalahad
December 15th, 2011, 06:48
[QUOTE=rpjkw;657623 Being an incorrigible aircraft watcher, I of course had to look.

It was slowly making 360s at about 1500 AGL, [/QUOTE]

there are a few possibilities (several conversions exist for Cessna singles... 182, 206, 207, 210) but it's likely that you either saw a demo flight or your local county mounties have a new 'bear in the air'

http://www.soloy.com/Products/Fixed+Wing+Aircraft/Turbine+Cessna+206+Mark+2/default.aspx

watch the video and remember... when you watch airplanes, they may be looking back :icon_lol: