PDA

View Full Version : Iris Pro series F-14 --> I need help please

GregG
December 14th, 2011, 13:39
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the IRIS pro series F-14 and I'm very, very pleased with it.

I have a few problems though...first and foremost, I can't tune my com to 112, which is the ILS frequency of Javier's carriers. That means that I can't make an ILS landing! I contacted IRIS about it, but no joy, and their forum is like a ghost town too. I PM-ed David, but got no reply either.
Is there a file one could change in notepad that contains the com frequency range of an aircraft?

Refueling: the manual says that as long as the probe is extended and you're between 250-270 knots IAS, and between 15,000-17,000 feet AGL the plane will refuel itself. Well, it's not the case. (don't you need a refueling aircraft anyway?)

I also think the stock skins look way too bright and clean and rather ruin the look of it. Are there any nice repaints available? I'm tweaking the stock VF-84 skin (my favorite), I added some weathering and made it darker. Still too bright probably, compared to the environment:

stock VF-1
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1233/20331784.jpg

my VF-84
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9158/49402923.jpg

Such a superb and highly detailed add-on, why couldn't they hire someone who can make repaints that are up to the standards set by this otherwise breathtaking plane?

Thank you for your help in advance%

Greg

SeanTK
December 14th, 2011, 13:43
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the IRIS pro series F-14 and I'm very, very pleased with it.

I have a few problems though...first and foremost, I can't tune my com to 112, which is the ILS frequency of Javier's carriers. That means that I can't make an ILS landing! I contacted IRIS about it, but no joy, and their forum is like a ghost town too. I PM-ed David, but got no reply either.
Is there a file one could change in notepad that contains the com frequency range of an aircraft?

Greg

ILS Frequencies operate through your navigation (nav) radio, not your communications (com) radio.
That may be your problem, tuning the wrong radio system.
Not familiar enough with this addon to provide assistance with the other problems.

warchild
December 14th, 2011, 14:03
I'm afraid David is back in the hospital for more surgery at the moment. May i reccomend that you also drop a note on the iris facebook page. That way, I know Karen will get it and keep it aside for david to respond too.. I'm afraid I only made the bird fly, and i never use radios. Sorry..
Pam

GregG
December 14th, 2011, 21:50
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

Thanks for the advice though, I left them a message on their facebook wall.

I absolutely love this bird - give me my frequencies and I won't stop flying her :)

@ Sean: Unfortunately it's your COM that you have to tune to 112 (or TACAN57x which is = COM 112). I tried it with my NAV, but no joy.

expat
December 15th, 2011, 00:52
By coincidence, I have just been flying the IRIS F-14A/B Pro extensivley over the past couple of weeks. Also been flying and comparing it with Dino Cattaneo's F-14D. Each has different pros' and cons'. The main focus of this exercise was to evaluate and tweak the carrier TACAN avionics available and learing how to use this to find the carriers e.g. in the dark and/or foul weather. In the course of this, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, you become transfixed with how graceful and beguiling the Tomcat design was, and what a great job both IRIS and Dino did with their visual models.

Here is what I did:

1. Download the TACAN gauge by Sylvain availabe here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59144-Carrier-Tacan-available-on-RFN&highlight=tacan and install it as a pop up gauge in your IRIS F-14 panel.cfg. Note the entries for radio frequencies that go in the VC section of your panel.cfg. These give you a choice of setting the TACAN to work from either NAV1 or NAV2. In my experience, both will enable the gauge to point to the carrier and display the distance to it (so I can e.g. set NAV1 for 112 and NAV2 for 111 - so if there are any moving default carriers around, it will point to them as well).

2 Copy and paste into your panel.cfg the BendixKing radio stack/AP from the default Cessna/Baron etc - also used in many other freeware planes. I almost always do this to get a simple to use autopilot and radio. Can't remember which F-14, but I think one of them - maybe IRIS - would not let me change the NAV frequency displayed I think on the left console, perhaps as you are also finding. Anyway, the Bendix radio stack allowed me to tune the frequency to 112 for Javier's Nimitz and the TACAN guage would then find this and e.g. the Foch/Clem without a problem.

FYI - I added the "Realistic F/A-18 HUD for Dino Cattaneo (http://javascript<strong></strong>:openWindow('download-file?file=11F-14D_HUD.zip&fileId=4939', 800, 400);void(0))" [i.e., his F-14D] done by Jivko Rusev at simviation.com to the Dino F-14, because it has a built in TACAN feature that displays the distance to the carrier and direction arrow for its heading right in the HUD. I then went a further step, and merged this whole VC - with the HUD/TACAN feature - into the IRIS aircraft. There were the usual steps involved with merging a native FSX VC in a different aircraft, and I also ended up de-activating the IRIS AP (it is well and realistically modelled, but I need one I can engage more easily/quickly) in the IRIS xml gauges, which allowed preserving the nice IRIS F-14 light functionality. Result: a great piece of air superiority kit for all weather carrier ops.

Like you, I tend to prefer the non-factory fresh paints, but those can also be over done. The best ones have more sublte grease stains and smudges etc. There is one I have for the IRIS F-14 for VF-124 Ghost Riders which is my favorite, but I could not find it - and one or two others I like and have in my file - anywhere on the net currently. May have been done by Banana Bob (or Yago?) and no longer available? Scott Minty did a whole bunch of IRIS paints - factory fresh variety - and I like and have several of these in my short list.

Let me know how you get on.

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 02:24
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try. However, I'd prefer to keep the stock HUD, I like it very much and I'm not very good at fiddling with files.

I agree, Banana Bob's skins look brilliant, but he's disappeared and his fiels are no longer availably anywhere which is a real shame :(

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 05:07
Reading it again, it seems that I can modify the default frequencies of carriers in my FSX/Gauges/carrier.xml file?

That alone would solve my problem. But are JAvier's carriers in there too? I can't check, I'm not at home right now (and won't be for quite a while :( )

warchild
December 15th, 2011, 05:19
i dont know about the cat, but, bananabob paints have been getting gathered.. You can find information on it all in this thread..
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?48404-BananaBob-round-up!-YEEEHAAW!&highlight=bananabob

Pam

expat
December 15th, 2011, 07:07
i dont know about the cat, but, bananabob paints have been getting gathered..

Thanks, have been there a few times recently trying to hunt down all the best F-14 paints. I keep seeing screenshots of Bob's work (and possilby others') in Google - and also maybe actually have in my own folders - that I cannot today find here under his re-grouped files or anywhere else. Very close inspection is required to judge which model it is as they are each so well done.

BTW - Pam - great work on the IRIS F-14A FDE. I have enjoyed many hours with it.

expat
December 15th, 2011, 07:13
Just went again to the Warbird Archives and there are for BananaBob four pages, 54 files and no Tomcats, yet I actually have the two shown in the thread in the attached link, but apparently not downloadable anywhere currently. Not sure if there may be others or he also did paints for Dino's D-cat.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?132750-2-More-Iris-F14-Skins-Done-Miss-Molly-Black-Aces

expat
December 15th, 2011, 07:23
Couple more here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?132802-VF-84-Jolly-Rogers-Dirty-Version-Done&highlight=bananabob

Sorry, my error earlier, it is VF-142 Ghost Riders:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?132824-Iris-VF-142-Ghostriders-Dirty-Skin-Done

expat
December 15th, 2011, 08:03
Sorry, one more, which looks like Bob did for Dino's Cat which I don't have but would like to.

Anyone who knows where any of these "missing" repaints might be found please chime in.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?17243-Iris-F-14-Request-VF-31-WIP

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 11:58
Oh please somebody send me a working link for that dirty vf-84 repaint made by BananaBob!!!

warchild
December 15th, 2011, 12:08
If you gentlemen wouldnt mind, and if you could be so kind, Bananabob gave us and OzX permission to gather up and archive his works for the masses. So if you wouldnt mind uploading them that would be awesome as it would allow everyone to have a copy.. Details are in the thread link i posted this morning..
Talk soon
Pam

DagR
December 15th, 2011, 12:23
I did the majority of the original paints for the FS9 release and they were converted for FSX. They are probably too clean, I admit that. They were mainly to represent the high viz era of glossy grey/white and they were kept pretty good in those days.
Sorry that they are not good enough for you. Another good reason to keep retirement :-) I hope you're in luck with better paintjobs elsewhere.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=58.853034,5.719342

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 13:32
Installing that TACAN gauge didn't help. I still can't set my com to 112 and even if I changed the Nimitz freq to 118 in the carriers.xlm, it didn't work either :(

expat
December 15th, 2011, 13:53
DagR,

For what it is worth, my own view is that the vast majority of simmers prefer the cleaner versions like you have done for the IRIS F-14 and that only a smaller minority like the quirkier "dirty" or "weathered" versions and, as I mentioned, too often these paints go too far and over-do it. If anything, the cleaner ones on planes like the F-14 are more historically accurate as the pilots and crews generally kept them very tidy. It's only a matter of personal taste. I fly the default paints you have done just as much if not more and these are absolutely first class as are your painting skills. Wish I could do what you can do.:salute:

Pam,

Would be happy to upload what I have asap, BUT, I don't have any notes or read-me's AND if I upload something stating it was authored by BananaBob and then someone else says, er, actually, I did it, then that could be a bit awkward . .

Welcome any suggestions on this!

GregG,

Probably should NOT change the Javier TACAN to anything other than 112. Not sure what the problem is and will do some testing on my native IRIS Tomcat.

Regards,

expat

expat
December 15th, 2011, 14:34
Just tried out the "normal" IRIS cat - with Sylvain's TACAN gauge added - and had no problem dialling in 112 on the NAV display (to the right of the MFD with the red arrow pointing to it).

I would try putting Sylvain's gauges directly into your panel folder. Didn't work for me first time in the main gauges folder - I normally in FSX put all gauges these days in the a/c panel folder.

See screenie attached. My panel.cfg attached if that helps.

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 21:46
Hello,

Thanks that's one step forward, but what I would like to have are those vectors on my HUD, which I can only get if I tune my com to 112 and not my nav, apparently :(

Cheers,

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 21:52
Would be happy to upload what I have asap, BUT, I don't have any notes or read-me's AND if I upload something stating it was authored by BananaBob and then someone else says, er, actually, I did it, then that could be a bit awkward .

Put it into a zip, rename it to "BananaBobs_F14s" and you can also include a txt saying "Repaints made by BananaBob"

After all, you're not uploading to an official repaint resource, you're merely sending it to us because we asked you to do so :)

I would buy you a virtual beer for that dirty VF-84 cat! :icon29: :salute:

RobH
December 15th, 2011, 22:17
Since your in the mood for buying virtual beers, how about buying one for DagR and apologizing for publicly insulting his work!

GregG
December 15th, 2011, 22:28
Fair enough, sorry DragR! :icon29:

On the other hand it wasn't meant to be an insult, merely a statement of my own taste, or perhaps a criticism.

They're are very well done skins, well researched, but I still think that they're too clean (that's subjective, my preference), and I also think they're too light and bright compared to the general atmosphere/colors of FSX - it might be due to the fact that they were designed for FS9 originally.

expat
December 16th, 2011, 00:02
GregG, I don't think what you have just gone on to say after saying "but" is going to help DagR's hurt feelings. You also appear to be a relatively new poster here. You should realise that the people that actually create and develop the very best FS payware (and freeware) are not in some big remote corporation like Atari or Microsoft, but are very small businesses and many are members right here at the SOH and read these boards daily. They all need our encouragement, support and what we say here needs to take this into consideration. You will find in return that people here will be able and willing to help you.:santahat:

warchild
December 16th, 2011, 00:30
In general, criticisms are welcomed, but insults are, by the terms of use disallowed and grounds for banishment. With GregG's being new though I let it slide. He may simply be accustomed to those other forums where insults are a way of life.. The terms of service are not only to maintain an adult and civil atmosphere, but also to protect each member here.. We all have our past's and triggers and insecurities. Developers are perhaps in some ways more prone to those triggers because when we sit down and commit ourselves to a project, we put our heart and souls into it on a level equal to the knights searching for the holy grail.
I had an experience one. The company i had contracted too had made an announcement of the planes release.. Not more than a page in, some yahoo posted that this other plane made by this other company was better. I had put in over 2000 houras work on that plane and had used over 400 pages of available government documentation on it when working on it.. Trust me, I can sympathize with how DagR would feel..
The thing is, you folks dont really know who the painters and Flight Dynamics engineers are, so its easy to make a snap judgement, although i can tell you that the very best in the hobby, gather right here.. I'm not saying dont criticize. Without a critique, we can never grown and be better. But please, be mindful of what your words are really saying before you hit the post button..
Thanks
Pam

GregG
December 16th, 2011, 01:03
Guys,

I'm really sorry if I hurt DragR's feelings. As a skinner myself (for other games) I understand what an utterly difficult job it is, especially when you have to create repaints from scratch, for a new model.

I didn't realize that these people were not as "remote", as I thought, that is, they were actually among us and not in the office of some big corporation. So again, I apologize.

However, I still don't see how my comment falls into the "insult" category. I merely said what I think, how the skins could be improved. I also admitted that the cleanness is a matter of subjective preference, I don't blame DragR for it. The "ruin the look of it" in my first post was too harsh, and over-dramatized, I admit. But I believe the rest of it was nothing but constructive criticism and my subjective, personal opinion with absolutely no insult intended.

EDIT: I also realize that this is a very helpful community, so thank you in advance for answering all the stupid questions I will ask in the future :)

GregG
December 16th, 2011, 02:42
One more thing:

You guys are right:

1) more often than not, the weathering tends to be overdone on repaints (like on scale models) - that's a typical mistake
2) These machines were kept clean and tidy

Therefore, after giving it a second thought, if I were you I might also have gone for a cleaner version, if I had been asked to make these.

So it must be really difficult to make repaints that are not over-weathered, but have enough weathering for a realistic look. (I for one would lack the skills to do it properly)

As for the other problem:
The com frequency range change can only be done by the IRIS guys, there's nothing I could do to get those vectors on my HUD?

RobH
December 16th, 2011, 02:53
Greg,

You are certainly allowed to have your own opinion and have your repaints the way you like them. If you like your birds dirty and can get them that way then go for it. I just didn't like the "ruined it" comment. Just please choose your words wisely, you never know who is reading. :salute:

GregG
December 16th, 2011, 03:13
You're right, I'll be sure to take that advice! :salute:

warchild
December 16th, 2011, 03:37
Wellll, On the repaints side of things, theres a few folk here that can do just astounding jobs at weathering. I however am merely a humble calculator whos best artwork was at the age of four while dabbling in finger paints..
Seriously though, if you ask for a livery, sometimes if one or more arent too busy ( which admittedly is rare ) you can find someone to help you out by painting it for ypu. As your a painter yourself, hell,, grab a paintkit and join the party. i'm sure we'd all love to see your work..
Pam

PS, yes, for those of us who arent as experienced, its quite difficult to paint perfectly weathered aircraft.. Personally, color fill is my friend..

PPS.. :chuckles:: Iris Guys=Iris guy=David Brice.. he's recovering from surgery at the moment so be patient, he'll be back :)..

GregG
December 16th, 2011, 04:32
I already gave it a try (see the first post) and it made me realize that I don't have enough skills to do it properly :D

It's so complicated that FSX has several files for one repaint. I have to get used to it.

By the way, someone posted a link for BananaBob's VF-84 remake (dirty version) - if only I could get a working d/L link (pretty please?), that one would be perfect for me.

PS: Oh really? IRIS guys= David? It's a smaller company than I expected. Poor David, I've heard he's in a hospital. I hope he'll get better soon.

DagR
December 16th, 2011, 04:34
Let it be known that I do not feel insulted in any way whatsoever. I just wanted to express my sincere apologies that I could not meet his expectations on texture quality.
Beeing who I am, pretty outspoken to say the least, I can take a lot and will come up with countermeasures should they be needed.
Good luck finding good paints and yes, a lot of research went into mine ;-)

RobH
December 16th, 2011, 09:24
Well, then I apologize Greg. I thought I was helping a member out but apparently I was sticking my nose into something I didn't need too. Dag, I will never understand you or most of the things you say. Sorry for thinking I was helping. Won't happen again!:salute:

Btw, for what is worth, I had started about 3 weeks ago, all new HD paints for the Iris F-14, new paints, bumps, etc., I just don't have enough done to show pics yet.

DagR
December 16th, 2011, 10:55
Well, then I apologize Greg. I thought I was helping a member out but apparently I was sticking my nose into something I didn't need too. Dag, I will never understand you or most of the things you say. Sorry for thinking I was helping. Won't happen again!:salute:

Btw, for what is worth, I had started about 3 weeks ago, all new HD paints for the Iris F-14, new paints, bumps, etc., I just don't have enough done to show pics yet.

Okay.... Hmmm ..

Sieggie
December 16th, 2011, 12:39
One more thing:

As for the other problem:
The com frequency range change can only be done by the IRIS guys, there's nothing I could do to get those vectors on my HUD?

The COM radio is used for communications and tunes from 118 thru 123 only the NAV radio tunes from 108 to 118 without overlap. the ILS for the airports or the carriers will be on the NAV freqs. The Iris F14 does not have the code in the HUD like some of the other planes to display Carrier ILS on 111 or 112. It is special code that must be in the HUD XML for the HUD to do this. If you look at the code for the Sludge Hornet or the T45, or maybe even the Dino F14, you will find a bunch of code to calculate the ILS info for the moving Carrier that is not in the IRIS F14. With a lot of work you could most likely use the Carrier ILS XML code as a basis to add it to the IRIS plane. If you do, please post it for the rest of us :)

Dave

expat
December 17th, 2011, 00:56
for what is worth, I had started about 3 weeks ago, all new HD paints for the Iris F-14, new paints, bumps, etc., I just don't have enough done to show pics yet.

RobH - that is great news - your Miss Molly paint for the Dino F-14 is one of my very favorites. Look forward to seeing your IRIS HD paints.

Sieggie - this is exactly my understanding. Those that made the Sludge/Realistic HUD for the Hornet were able to "assign" it to the Dino Tomcat but I believe they confirmed that doing this with IRIS plane was not possible. Not sure you could just add the xml entries and have the TACAN symbols appear along with the standard IRIS HUD symbology, i.e. you would need to replace the IRIS HUD with the Sludge one entriely which I think might be quite difficult. This is why I chose to merge the Dino VC into the IRIS airframe. I fly all three: Dino, "pure" IRIS and my merged machine.

michael davies
December 17th, 2011, 03:06
Another good reason to keep retirement :-)
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=58.853034,5.719342

Ohh I'm sure I could tempt you back LOL.

Kindest Michael

warchild
December 17th, 2011, 04:11
We should team up on him Michael.. Frankly, theres so many projects in the pipeline across the entire board right now it isnt funny, and I know a LOT of us would like to see DagRs works again..

expat
December 17th, 2011, 04:33
Scanned my HD and found two Banana Bob repaints and have just uploaded these.

Also, people might be interested in this: <CENTER>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</CENTER><CENTER>FS2004 USAF Grumman F-14 Tomcat
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=134821) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=134821) ] </CENTER>
Name: f14_dty.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=134821) Size: 52,369,650 Date: 05-08-2009 Downloads: 1,388
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/o/F14_DTY.GIF FS2004 USAF Grumman F-14 Tomcat (dirty). Textures only for the payware Iris Simulations F14A v1.5. Credit and respect to Pablo Diaz whose F14VF1V2.ZIP (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=F14VF1V2.ZIP) was used as a base texture. Credit and respect to Dag Roger Stangeland for the original skins. These are add-on skins for the original payware package. This includes 11 new "dirty" skins for the F14A only. Conversions by Paul Pridmore.

DagR
December 17th, 2011, 04:57
Ohh I'm sure I could tempt you back LOL.

Kindest Michael

Huh, hwat!!?? ;-)

GregG
December 17th, 2011, 05:48
Scanned my HD and found two Banana Bob repaints and have just uploaded these.

Also, people might be interested in this: <center>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</center><center>FS2004 USAF Grumman F-14 Tomcat
</center><center>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=134821) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=134821) ] </center>
Name: f14_dty.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/kdl.php?fid=134821) Size: 52,369,650 Date: 05-08-2009 Downloads: 1,388
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/o/F14_DTY.GIF FS2004 USAF Grumman F-14 Tomcat (dirty). Textures only for the payware Iris Simulations F14A v1.5. Credit and respect to Pablo Diaz whose F14VF1V2.ZIP (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=F14VF1V2.ZIP) was used as a base texture. Credit and respect to Dag Roger Stangeland for the original skins. These are add-on skins for the original payware package. This includes 11 new "dirty" skins for the F14A only. Conversions by Paul Pridmore.

That sounds great! Where did you upload them? The link you posted doesn't work for me. Thank you!!

expat
December 17th, 2011, 06:31
For my two uploads, you need to click on "Warbirds" then "What's New" at the top of this Board.

The link I pasted in is from flightsim.com. If it doesn't connect, search there under "Pridmore"

GregG
December 17th, 2011, 06:59
I've got them, thank you!

I see these are FS2004 files - how do I install them in FSX. Do I have to convert the BMP-s into dds?

expat
December 17th, 2011, 09:22
I don't ever do that. Others do but not really sure why. Should be fine for FSX (all I ever use). What you must do is copy the "texture" txt file from another one of your working paints so it finds the files in the bump, specular and other common files in your IRIS F-14 folder.

GregG
December 17th, 2011, 09:29
Roger that. thanks, it works now! :salute:

sparouty
December 17th, 2011, 09:41
The COM radio is used for communications and tunes from 118 thru 123 only the NAV radio tunes from 108 to 118 without overlap. the ILS for the airports or the carriers will be on the NAV freqs. The Iris F14 does not have the code in the HUD like some of the other planes to display Carrier ILS on 111 or 112. It is special code that must be in the HUD XML for the HUD to do this. If you look at the code for the Sludge Hornet or the T45, or maybe even the Dino F14, you will find a bunch of code to calculate the ILS info for the moving Carrier that is not in the IRIS F14. With a lot of work you could most likely use the Carrier ILS XML code as a basis to add it to the IRIS plane. If you do, please post it for the rest of us :)

Dave

Hi!
As a F14 Tomcat fan, I love the Iris model. I never took time for having a look into the Iris HUD code but as this (very nice) HUD has Nav and ILS feature coded with FSX nav aids, it can be modified to take into account moving carrier variables calculated by my gauge.
I would say it is more a question of having Iris/David authorization than feasabilty...

Regards,
Sylvain

modelr
December 17th, 2011, 14:48
I just scanned my IRIS F-14 texture downloads folder, and found a bunch of Banana Bob's files. 12 to be exact. Unfortunately, two of them are bad files, and both are "fix" files.

[432]VF_201_Dirty.zip
[435]VF_111_Sundowners_Dirty.zip
[443]Iris_F14A_Miss_Molly.zip
[444]Dirty_Sundowner_and_Miss_Molly_gear_fix.zip (bad, won't open.)
[447]VF_41_Black_Aces.zip
[455]Tophatters_VF_14.zip
[457]VF_32_DirtySword.zip
[459]VF_84_Jolly_Rogers_Dirty.zip
[464]VF_142_Ghostriders_Dirty.zip
[485]NEW.vf_1.zip
[520]Dirty_IRIAF.zip
[768]VF84Dirty_Update_Right_Rudder.zip (bad, won't open.)

Let me know which ones need to be uploaded to here and I'll get them to Rami.

Don

expat
December 18th, 2011, 00:41
Fantastic!!

My requests:

[432]VF_201_Dirty.zip
[520]Dirty_IRIAF.zip

Many thanks!

expat
December 18th, 2011, 00:55
I never took time for having a look into the Iris HUD code but as this (very nice) HUD has Nav and ILS feature coded with FSX nav aids, it can be modified to take into account moving carrier variables calculated by my gauge.

Sylvain, that is good news. Let's wait until David is well and see what he has to say.

sparouty
December 18th, 2011, 04:22
Fantastic!!

My requests:

[432]VF_201_Dirty.zip
[520]Dirty_IRIAF.zip

Many thanks!
hi
I would add a VF111 dirty repaint...
In the meanwhile I will have a look the HUD code.
regards
Sylvain

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 06:49
Fantastic!!

My requests:

[432]VF_201_Dirty.zip
[520]Dirty_IRIAF.zip

Many thanks!

Will try to get them up today.

GregG
December 18th, 2011, 06:50
Don: I'd love the dirty VF-84! Thanks!!

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 06:50
hi
I would add a VF111 dirty repaint...
In the meanwhile I will have a look the HUD code.
regards
Sylvain

And this one.

:salute:

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 06:52
Don: I'd love the dirty VF-84! Thanks!!

Greg,
They will be sent to the library. I'll just send all of them, and Rami can sort thru to see what's missing.

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 08:21
OK, all the files have been uploaded, except the two bad "FIX" zips. I checked inside the originals, and it looks like the VF-84 "fix" for the right rudder was installed into the zip. It is a newer file. The fix for the gear on the two VF-111 zips do not appear to have been installed.

I will sometimes (when I have the time when I download them,) immediately apply a fix directly into the original, if I think about it at the time. Other times I will apply them when I install the file, updating the original zip also. As I have not installed these textures, yet, (due to time restraints,) the fixes were not all done. All of these zips may have come off another, older storage harddrive I had, as all files were moved from it to a newer 1TB storage drive when I got it (them - 4 of them!) and the fix files may have gone bad during the move. My FS9 ONLY storage 1TB storage drive is just over 1/2 full, compressed! 480GB used of 931GB useable. That does not include payware, which is stored on another drive. And the installed programs are on another 1TB drive, including 4 installs of FS9. I am an insufferable collector. :kilroy: But for your info, NO, I DON'T have EVERYTHING! Far from it. :icon_lol:

GregG
December 18th, 2011, 08:29
OK, all the files have been uploaded,

I can't seem to find them. are they in the FS2004 skins folder or the FSX skins one? I also clicked on "what's new", but no joy.

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 08:38
I can't seem to find them. are they in the FS2004 skins folder or the FSX skins one? I also clicked on "what's new", but no joy.

It takes a while before they are posted. When Rami oks them he will put them up. It may not be till tomorrow, even. The quickest way to find new files is in the "What's New" link.

GregG
December 18th, 2011, 08:52
OK, I see. Anyway, thanks a million for sharing them!

fsafranek
December 18th, 2011, 08:56
I'm glad I noticed this thread. I bought the F-14 last year during the special sales but hadn't spent much time with it -- I bought way too many aircraft over the past year. I've always has a soft spot for the F-14 and especially for VF-1 and VF-2 that were the first F-14 units on the Enterprise (spotting a VF-1 bird at the top of this thread reminded me of that). It hadn't occured to me to install Sylvain's TACAN gauge but seeing a screen shot of it a page back or so makes me want to do that now.

I know everyone is talking about the Navy schemes Bananabob put together but for a little variety there is also a nice Iranian Air Force set that Jens-Ole Kjolberg put together (using DagR's masters) including the current gray/blue camo scheme.

:ernae:

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 11:21
I'm glad I noticed this thread. I bought the F-14 last year during the special sales but hadn't spent much time with it -- I bought way too many aircraft over the past year. I've always has a soft spot for the F-14 and especially for VF-1 and VF-2 that were the first F-14 units on the Enterprise (spotting a VF-1 bird at the top of this thread reminded me of that). It hadn't occured to me to install Sylvain's TACAN gauge but seeing a screen shot of it a page back or so makes me want to do that now.

I know everyone is talking about the Navy schemes Bananabob put together but for a little variety there is also a nice Iranian Air Force set that Jens-Ole Kjolberg put together (using DagR's masters) including the current gray/blue camo scheme.

:ernae:

To go along with what Frank mentioned here. He, along with a lot of us, bought the NEW, UPDATED, PURE FSX version of the F-14 from the great IRIS developers. The main bunch of textures we are talking about here, (US Navy) are for the OLD, Original F-14, made for FS9 and turned freeware by David a year or so ago. (Maybe more, time flies for me.:kilroy:) I paid full price for all of my DSB/IRIS Tomcats, (nothing against them being freeware, nor sale priced, I got my share of other planes then, also.) Anywhoo, these textures CAN be converted to use on the IRIS PRO (payware FSX only) version by using a conversion kit (which I think comes in the PRO version, mine is datd the same as the date I installed mine.) So don't anyone dismiss these textures if you are using the PRO payware version.

As it turns out, I am presently going back through ALL of my F-14 add-on textures, (presently 179 in my FS9 folder, plus 11 (so far) in my pure FSX folder) and checking for doubles, (named differently) and bad zips, (found a couple more, I remember what happened to them, now, power failure during a defrag, (WILL screwup a LOT of files!!!)) plus found some pure FSX ones in the FS9 folder, and 73 FS9 ones in my FSX folder.

Just for info, there are a lot of repaints listed for FSX, but they are actually for the FREEWARE F-14 ported over, and still in bmp form. These are NOT pure FSX, nor are they for the final payware PRO version, without being converted.

I am also finding a lot of files accidently in my DSB/IRIS folder belonging to Dino's excellent FS9 F-14. You can tell if your files are for Dino's if they have the title "F14" at the beginning of most of the exterior parts texture files. I will be going back through my Dino folder (56 items, not all textures,) looking for DSB/IRIS textures when I'm done with the DSB/IRIS folder.

I am also finding a few more BananaBob textures, but so far they have been the same as those above, just different file names. I am checking internal file dates to see if/when changes were made.

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 11:49
Go get 'em, guys, they are in the library now. Just pull up the "What's New" tab.

modelr
December 18th, 2011, 16:51
One more BananaBob IRIS F-14 texture I found. This one is for one of VF-31's last Tomcats. It is a photoreal texture, originaly done in FSX for the PRO FSX version, but back dated by Bob for FS9. Details in Bob's readme.

Just uploaded to the library. Watch for it soon.

It's up now.

GregG
December 18th, 2011, 21:53
Fantastic! :salute:

By the way, you don't need to convert them:

1) backup one of your existing folders with all the dds files in there.
2) copy all the dirty bmp files that have a dds version in the pro series folder
3) delete every dds file that has a dirty bmp version

(so basically you need to replace every dds file with their bmp version and leave the rest alone)

Back to one of my first posts: Yesterday I flew around in the Tomcat, and I managed to get ILS vectors on my HUD by setting the NAV to the given frequencies. So they're there after all. But then how come they don't work with the AI carriers? I set the nav to 112 - no joy. I change the frequency in the carrier.xml file to 118, so I can tune my com to that - no joy. What am I missing here?

MenendezDiego
December 18th, 2011, 23:21
One more BananaBob IRIS F-14 texture I found. This one is for one of VF-31's last Tomcats. It is a photoreal texture, originaly done in FSX for the PRO FSX version, but back dated by Bob for FS9. Details in Bob's readme.

Just uploaded to the library. Watch for it soon.

It's up now.

In my opinion, one of the best repaints for FSX ever done...not to mention he made it for me :)

A print I had framed:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4236/237/26/805540625/n805540625_7122238_230553.jpg

Sad video:

http://youtu.be/6UoFM2pMf6Q

AJ-101 holds a special place in my heart.

Regards, Diego

modelr
December 19th, 2011, 05:00
In my opinion, one of the best repaints for FSX ever done...not to mention he made it for me :)

A print I had framed:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4236/237/26/805540625/n805540625_7122238_230553.jpg

Sad video:

http://youtu.be/6UoFM2pMf6Q

AJ-101 holds a special place in my heart.

Regards, Diego

Diego,
Happy to get this texture back in circulation.

Don

Sieggie
December 19th, 2011, 05:18
Fantastic! :salute:

Back to one of my first posts: Yesterday I flew around in the Tomcat, and I managed to get ILS vectors on my HUD by setting the NAV to the given frequencies. So they're there after all. But then how come they don't work with the AI carriers? I set the nav to 112 - no joy. I change the frequency in the carrier.xml file to 118, so I can tune my com to that - no joy. What am I missing here?

ILS for the Carriers is special calculation done within the HUD xml code for each individual aircraft. Go and get Dino Cattaneo's T45 and look in the HUD xml code in the area of the ILS code. You will see all the special coding to make the ILS function with the Carriers or the regular NAV radios. It is xml so it is not straight forward to read but it you compare the two in the same general area you may be able to get an idea of what is going on to make the carriers ILS work.

It is not generic by any means and each HUD must be custom programmed for it to function which is why very few planes will actually display on the HUD. The fact that freeware developers go to this much work is a real testament to there dedication and generosity to the community.

Dave

GregG
December 19th, 2011, 05:50
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to merge that part in to the IRIS file. I'll let you know if I succeed.

PS: this bird is on sale right now, for 10 bucks it's an absolutely MUST-HAVE!

Sieggie
December 19th, 2011, 06:23
I think it might be a bit more than a merge, but don't let that deter you as I would like to see the ILS for carriers work on the bird also. You will definitely be very fluent in xml when your done with the task. :)

Dave

expat
December 19th, 2011, 07:19
The fact that freeware developers go to this much work is a real testament to there dedication and generosity to the community.

I second that - this is pretty cutting edge stuff and the work of others is very much appreciated.

Victory103
December 20th, 2011, 21:46
Great work on my favorite, never thought of merging the VC's, I fly both versions regularly. Good luck on the HUD, I've had some "fun" trying to learn xml gauges recently.

Thanks for the info on the FS9 paints, had most if not all of BB's for the FS9 version and wanted to get them in FSX.

expat
December 20th, 2011, 22:44
Re FS9 paints, there are two texture bmps you might need to copy and paste from another working repaint, the "maingear_left" and "maingear_right" (or something like that) for the gear and gear doors to be textured . .

sepp666
August 9th, 2012, 02:27
Hello, anyone who got the ILS at the IRIS F-14 HUD to work?

expat
August 24th, 2012, 05:44
I think when Sylvain returns from his holiday we shall resume this discussion and subject!

jp
August 24th, 2012, 09:47
Just wondering if anyone would be able/ willing to redo the tomcat's interior textures to show some wear and tear like has been done with some of the A2A aircraft?

sepp666
September 1st, 2012, 10:48
I really hope that we will be able to land the Iris F-14 at night on a moving carrier. Maybe Javier gets his 1980's Nimitz ready with Cats on Deck... -hopefully he is still working on it?

Greets from Sepp

expat
September 1st, 2012, 12:59
You can find the. Nimitz, new Big E, Clem etc at nigt using Sylvain's Tacan gauge.

sparouty
September 1st, 2012, 13:22
Hi,
For your information, I've sent to Iris a F-14 HUD gauge modified to inclued moving carrier Tacan/ILS features.
I'm waiting for their feedback so far, but I hope they'll like it...:icon_lol:

Regards,
Sylvain

sepp666
September 8th, 2012, 13:08
Any message arrived from IRIS, Sylvian? Could'nt you sent the gauge you made to the people who are interrested in it via PM, only for testing if it works correct? :-)

expat
September 8th, 2012, 15:10
Hey, that's cool. Thanks Sylvain for your work on this!

expat

sepp666
September 28th, 2012, 14:25
Sylvian, anything new? I realy want your working HUD. I don't understand why IRIS does not give you a "go" to release it to the community. It takes too long now...

sepp666
October 4th, 2012, 09:45
Hm, no HUD for my lovely F-14:frown:?

sepp666
October 26th, 2012, 09:49
http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0011.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0007.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0006.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0002.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0004.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0009.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)http://www.smilieportal.de/midi-smileys/traurig/0001.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)