PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 tip for simmers - Move Public folders to spinning drive

Human Drone
December 13th, 2011, 07:10
I hope this is my chance to finally give back a little to all you who have helped lately! See what you think of this:

A lot of us are getting, or hoping to get, solid state SATA3 drives for the best Flight simming performance. But these things are relatively small, so we also usually have a large spinning drive (or drives) for data, pictures of the kids, music, & what not.

But of course, Windows usually comes set up with the user profiles in C:\Users, and you can’t just move that to the spinning drives, let’s assume it’s your D:\ drive. Well, it’s easy enough to point your own “My Documents”, “My Pictures”, “My Music”, and “My Vidoes” over to D:\Users\<user>\My <things>” , but after all that, there is still a C:\Users\Public that can’t be moved. And if you have a home group or other network, you might want to put things in there. Here is how I moved it to the D: drive, shamelessly copied from some answers I found somewhere in cyberspace - the sources weren’t charging for it, so it must be fair use, besides, I put some of my own stuff into it.

My user folders are now under D:\Users\<username> (the nice thing about this is it leaves the rest of your “hive”, including your flight sim profiles, etc. on the static drive where it can be retrieved faster).

Now we will end up making a Directory Junction which can redirect to a new location of Public folder.

First create a new folder on D:\, in my case I used D:\Users\Public

Go to Cmd prompt by running as Administrator. (If you can’t do this, you’d better stop here and just don’t put anything in your Public folders!)

Copy everything from existing public folder to the new folder created by using the command
robocopy /MIR %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Public D:\Users\Public (or whatever name you used for your public folder on D:\)

Note: If as usual, Windows is on your C: drive, you can use the form
robocopy /MIR C:\Users\Public D:\Users\Public

You need robocopy as it takes care of hidden files, etc, especially if you have Recorded TV folder within public folder.

Once the copy is transferred, you need to delete the existing public folder and create a junction in its place. For this, boot into Safe Mode as an administrator (Press F8 after POST) and delete the public contents and folder, and again by starting the Cmd prompt as an administrator. To remove the Public folder:

rmdir /s /q %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Public

Having created the new location folder, and deleting the existing public folder, now is time to create a Directory Junction for public folder with the following command:

mklink /J %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Public D:\Users\Public (or whatever name you named the public folder on D:\)

for example: mklink /J C:\Users\Public D:\Users\Public

Now, whatever is meant for the original Public folder gets directed to the new location.
I hope this helps.

One caveat: if you use the ROBOCOPY command, make sure that the target directory is empty! The command given makes a MIRROR of the source directory, meaning it will delete everything that is already in the target directory.

Best to all,

Tom

Smokin256
December 13th, 2011, 11:44
I like it! Thank you for posting this. I too am researching a computer ugrade in which I'm planning a 120gb SSD for C drive. I've been concerned about saving as much space on it as posible. This will help. I presume this leaves C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\blah blah blah unaffected? Good stuff!

Cheers...................Todd

Human Drone
December 13th, 2011, 12:57
You're welcome! Yes, on my machine all that is still on the C:\ drive as you say. And if you can afford it, go for a 240GB drive, preferably SATA3. Mine is a Corsair, and I have it about half -full already, so... The Corsair and a 600 GB WD Velociraptor are a potent combination! Power switch to Windows in about 20 sec!