PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about a used jeep........

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2011, 11:17
I am possibly going to buy a 1970 CJ5, but wanted to get opinions about it. I saw/drove it a little while ago.

The pictures do not do it justice, because the body is indeed in very good condition, considering the age. There are no major rust spots. Clutch is new, as are the brakes. Has the Dauntless 225 engine, and is strong. Only thing needed, most likely, is a new wiring harness. Never done that, but I've got nothing but time on my hands.

Price? $8K

What do y'all think? I need to add that I have had several jeeps: 1974, 1953, and 1945. Am not a stranger to them. This would be my "island" vehicle......

NC

Thoe6969
December 11th, 2011, 11:42
Looks really nice for a 1970 but 8 grand might be a tad high,but thats up to you if you like it,and I don't know what that engine is worth.

Willy
December 11th, 2011, 12:14
The 225 is the old Buick V-6 from the 60s that Kaiser bought the tools from GM to build for Jeep. Nice pulling engine in a light vehicle like a Jeep. My brother had one in a Jeep Commando and it took him everywhere.

My first new vehicle was a 80 CJ-5 and I wish I still had it. That one looks like it's had a bit of a lift done to it.

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2011, 13:00
The 225 is the old Buick V-6 from the 60s that Kaiser bought the tools from GM to build for Jeep. Nice pulling engine in a light vehicle like a Jeep. My brother had one in a Jeep Commando and it took him everywhere.

My first new vehicle was a 80 CJ-5 and I wish I still had it. That one looks like it's had a bit of a lift done to it.

Yes, it has been lifted some. Most likely to accomodate the larger tires/wheels. NC

Roadburner440
December 11th, 2011, 14:11
To me $8000 seems a tad high. It is like my dad used to say NC. It is all in what that Jeep is worth to you, and it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. My favorite Jeep's are the older CJ-7's, and the Cherokee Chief (2 door Cherokee when AMC made them). Now for a good Cherokee Chief with a 5 speed manual I would pay $8000, but I am sure a lot of people wouldn't.. Overall it looks good, and if there is no mechanical issues I don't see why you shouldn't take it if it is what you want. The old 225's are solid engines. I would undo the lift though. I never like when people do that to vehicles. Just makes them look weird to me.

Ickie
December 11th, 2011, 14:26
I use to own a 1970 comando, and that was their inbetween year.
Parts are hard to come by, I had to buy a tranny from across the country.
The raising of the body is simple, normally the axcel sits on top of the springs, to raise it, you simply put it under the springs.
My v6 was a buick 235, not the 225.
I would not buy an old jeep of that time frame of 1969 - 1972, the company changed hands 3 times.
think parts, lol
oh the electrical was a nightmare, hehehe

Lateral-G
December 11th, 2011, 16:40
I had a '76 CJ-5 with the 232 and a 3 speed manual. Bought it with 150K miles and ended up driving it for another 100K. That straight six was awesome, plenty of low-end torque....and it's bulletproof. I could put it in 4-low and first gear and it would crawl over anything. Never had to touch the motor, it was in perfect condition. All I did was change the oil every 3K miles. I did have to get a new tranny and transfer case as well as U-joints/drive shafts but that was to be expected.

My dates hated it cause I'd always drive around with the top off and it would mess up their hair...LOL

Personally $8K is a bit high.......Unless it's in immaculate condition...and I mean immaculate......

Willy
December 11th, 2011, 18:50
Before the Chrysler take over, both Kaiser and AMC would use parts from various sources in Jeeps. My 1980 CJ-5 from the factory had a 2.5l GM Iron Duke 4 banger, Ford brake rotors and lord knows where the other stuff came from. Still it was a pretty tough vehicle.

CP1207
December 12th, 2011, 14:41
My 97 Wrangler is allegedly worth about 3k on the used market and has a much more civilized interior (factory cupholder (1)).
I like the old ones, but mine stays in the lane I desire it to without the effort some of the older ones needed.

Navy Chief
December 12th, 2011, 17:23
I decided against buying that jeep, or any other vehicle for right now. My house in TN is set to sell on January 15th, so I am crossing my fingers that happens. When my house has sold, I might revisit the idea of a fun car to drive, here on Sanibel. But am not in a hurry. I appreciate everyone's advice!!! When the time comes to look for something, I'll post again! NC