PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a military term!

eddie
December 16th, 2008, 19:53
I've been playing a tactical sim, HPS Soviet Afghan War. A guy did a mod for it, called "The Long War", turning this sim into something covering the war in Afghanistan as it is today. (Don't want to see this thread turning into a political rant either!)

In the mission I'm playing now, a French Recon group has been ambushed by the Taliban. 3 vehicles have been hit, two of these were destroyed by land mines, the third has been damaged by an RPG. Help is on the way, but I've got to hang on until they arrive. I have on call, some fixed wing air support. They include an AC130, where I can call on them for assistance 3 times. (Just to add more tension to this mission, there is a suicide bomber approaching the column!)

My other asset is one mission for a F15E. The F15 is designated this way, a F15E wFAB. The thing I'm wondering is, what does FAB mean? Been out of the military for 36 years now, and can't recall what it means,lol

On a side note, there is a mission for the Brits. They have a small armored column that is tasked with clearing out an area held by the Taliban. They have a TV crew embedded with them, and your orders say they must be protected at all costs. My question is, why?LOL

An-225
December 16th, 2008, 20:10
FAB = Fuel Air Bomb. I think the F-15E can carry some thermobaric weapons, but I'm not too sure.

OBIO
December 17th, 2008, 00:48
FAB =

Freaking Angry Bulldog

Fried Apple Biscuits

Flaming American :bs:

Frigid Anorexic Bride

Fuel Air Bomb

Of those options, I think your best bet would be to go with Fuel Air Bomb.

OBIO

Crusader
December 17th, 2008, 02:08
" Frigid Anorexic Bride " :costumes: , never heard that one . :costumes: That would be a rough way to start out , would'nt it ?

Rich

eddie
December 17th, 2008, 07:45
FAB = Fuel Air Bomb. I think the F-15E can carry some thermobaric weapons, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks!

Toastmaker
December 17th, 2008, 17:38
[quote=eddie;61228On a side note, there is a mission for the Brits. They have a small armored column that is tasked with clearing out an area held by the Taliban. They have a TV crew embedded with them, and your orders say they must be protected at all costs. My question is, why?LOL[/quote]

There is no known answer to your question !!

Piglet
December 17th, 2008, 18:51
FAB
Insn't that from Thunderbirds to the Rescue!?
Everyone on Tracy Island saying FAB all day long?!?

Toastmaker
December 18th, 2008, 06:14
Actually, the weapon is more commonly known as a FAE (fuel-air explosive) but, individually, probably called a FAB.

eddie
December 18th, 2008, 12:53
Toast, since there are guys who do mods from all over the world, it became a bit confusing as to what they actually mean by the term FAB. Could care less about the jokes, since some of these guys who replied are such experts on this subject, maybe they can explain this, and why I would ask.

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jalw/jalw2724.html

Toastmaker
December 18th, 2008, 16:56
If I understand this correctly, you had mentioned an F-15 mission so the acronym "FAB" was assumed to be an American weapon acronym, hence the suggestion; fuel air bomb, (FAE).

I noted in the Jane's reference the fact that there is a Russian acronym, FAB, also !

Kofschip
December 18th, 2008, 17:18
Eddie, in this context FAB stands for Fuel Air Bomb. More details can be found at:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Fuel+Air+Bomb

Kofschip:wavey: