PDA

View Full Version : Went to a gun show today. Need help finding information.

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2011, 13:31
Went to a gun show today, and was looking at a Belgium-made Browning Model 1910, .380, semi-automatic. Nice pistol, and at a great price.

My question is, is there a site I can go to for information on this weapon, i.e. when it was made? The Browning website does not, that I could find, have information on the weapon.

I have the serial number. It has "Made in Belgium" stamped on the pistol. Looks just like the one in this picture:

Willy
December 10th, 2011, 13:40
I took one in on trade a long time ago and didn't keep it long as it was trading stock for me. I did take it out and shoot it and it seemed like a nice enough gun, but I've always been more into revolvers. It went towards a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum.

Ivan
December 10th, 2011, 13:47
Don't even know where I would begin looking for some information like that.

I hang out at the M14Forum quite a lot and there are a couple sections for pistols and other rifles.

I am more into service style auto pistols and M1911 types, though a Blackhawk in .41 Magnum sounds reasonable. My only Blackhawk is in .45 Colt.

- Ivan.

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2011, 13:59
I took one in on trade a long time ago and didn't keep it long as it was trading stock for me. I did take it out and shoot it and it seemed like a nice enough gun, but I've always been more into revolvers. It went towards a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum.

I like the size of this pistol. Just right for concealed carry. NC

HouseHobbit
December 10th, 2011, 14:16
These were imported until the 1968 law went into effect, they were built until then.. Some of the FN 1910/22 models were in .380 and also .32ACP..
I sold many in the past.. ( a gunsmith for 25 years)
And they are a fair self defense pistol for close range use.. Past about 10-12 yds they aren't very accurate..

I carried a Browning 1910 .32ACP model for a short time, but because the .32ACP and .380 are so underpowered rounds not many used them here..
All the FN browning firearms are of excellent quality, and John M Browing built/designed the majority of all autos built in the world..
FN gave Him the factory in Belgium if He would produce his firearms there..

In America Winchester and Remington also build His designs.. But because of the American Love of Only American built firearms John M Browning wasn't able to make big in roads in the American gun market until after WW2..

Even through His FN models were among the finest firearms ever produced the American love of Winchester Remington, Colt, S&W after and before WW2..Not many browning firearms were sold..
Only those who knew guns and were willing to spend the extra money brought them..

I have almost every model of Browning firearms ever built in my collection(many dating back to the 1930's) and they are second to None..
This little pistol never gained much of a following here in the past, mainly because of the Calibers used.. The .380 and .32ACP were underpowered rounds and not sought after here in America..
Why carry a weak powered gun when there were American calibers that had Much more power and man stopping abilities then these had..
I grew up in a Shootist family and as a young hobbit I learned to shoot using Browning firearms..
Still my safari Grade 22-250 Rem Brownings are yet to be out shot except by the most expensive 40x Remington models..
Or my custom hand builds..

16 expert awards US ARMY
US Army small bore team
*8 NRA expert awards. Rifle, shotgun and pistol..
international bench rest competition Camp Perry

The Japanese built Browning firearms were never sought after much here, they did suffer from the Japanese Junk opinion
many had..
In 1972 when Browning moved to Japan the Browning company lost many of the fans they once had, and the Belgium built Browning's went up in value a great deal, not that they were ever cheap..

One word of advice on these, many have weak springs in the magazines causing them to jam (Often)
This is caused by age and leaving Magazines loaded for extended periods of time.. If you deside to get one of these I HIGHLY recommend you get a New magazine for this..
All I sold I had to replace the mags with new ones to ensure that they would not jam..

EasyEd
December 10th, 2011, 14:38
Hey All,

You need the S&W 460XVR revolver. Has an 8 inch barrel (or longer). Highest muzzle velocity production pistol made. You can hold dead on at 200+ yards to "get em" for they get close or if they are running away. An added benefit is you can do a Dirty Harry thing as you pull it out from under your jacket. Also shoots 454 Casull or 45 Colt.

If you expect to run into gangs then get a S&W 500. Most powerful production pistol made. Shorter range but you can do the Quigley Down Under thing and get more than one with one shot.

Either one ought to do ya fine. Maybe get both depending on the social situation you anticipate.

Be safe out there.

-Ed-

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2011, 15:53
Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely look for a new magazine for it, if I get it!

Any help on determining the actual date/time frame of manufacture, since I have the serial number?

NC

HouseHobbit
December 10th, 2011, 16:07
Type this into your browser search and I'd bet you can find this.. Browning pistol serial number M 1910 A link on this FN

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-may01.html (http://www.cruffler.com/historic-may01.html)

Info here also
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445703

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/1910FN/1910fn.html

Willy
December 10th, 2011, 16:07
Sorry NC, if it was a Marlin lever action rifle I could date it for you pretty quickly. That's my main interest in old guns.

Ivan
December 10th, 2011, 16:35
Hey HouseHobbit,

Even not counting the M1911 and its cousins, I have a reasonable number of Brownings.
:running::jump::applause::wiggle::mixedsmi::icon_l ol::sleep::kilroy::salute::wavey::engel016:

Pardon the Smilies, My daughter saw me typing up this message and thought she would contribute.

A few of my Brownings / FNs are really post John Moses Browning design or are FN manufacture but not a JMB design.

- Ivan.

Penzoil3
December 11th, 2011, 01:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_1910
Here you are...
Sue

TeaSea
December 11th, 2011, 04:58
Methinks Mr. Hobbit is the expert here....and he's just about nailed it. His comment on the magazines goes for most small arms using a magazine. The springs generally stay compressed for a long, long time.....wears them out.

I do know the .380 has made a comeback of late due to the smaller size. Most of these are specifically made for concealed carry as a self protection system, and I agree with the Hobbit regards accuracy.

I've been looking at a Ruger .380 LCP for my wife. She's Army trained and still in the USAR, so she's comfortable with heavier caliber's but you can't get a .45 Automatic into your purse and lug it around all day.

Jagdflieger
December 11th, 2011, 12:12
Chief,

All good points here. I would personaly advise you to buy a new firearm rather than the older Browning 1910 unles you want it for collecting purposes. While its 380 is considered the lowest powered cartridge for self-defense, it is just barely adaquate. Also, while the Browning is a fine blow back design, you will need to keep it "locked and cocked" for the quickest resopnse with it. The safety is not as well thought out as the Browning 1911 or 1935 pistols and with winter gloves on; it may become a bridge too far for one handed operation.

I would consider several of the newer 9mm compact firearms by Khar, SIG-Saur, Ruger, Glock or others. There seems to be a plethora of them now and they are actually as small or smaller than the Browning 1910. The trigger mechanisms are designed for fast manipulation (usually double action negating the need to keep the pistol cocked) and for maximum safety and with the 9mm (or even 40 S&W in some) they enjoy a significant power advantage over the 380 calibre. In a gun fight, you always want a bigger gun than the one you have!

While I have used semi-auto pistols throughout my career (1911A1, M59 and M9), I like a simple Smith and Wesson Model 60 revolver for around town-shopping-picking up the kids duty. I have a 2" barrel Model 60 that's served me for 30 some years and a 3" Model 60 in .357 magnum for when I'm hiking or as a back up gun when hunting. Some argue against a revolver, but I find them very accurate, very reliable and the .38 and .357 calibres can shoot a number of different rounds from shot loads to target loads to self-defense or hunting loads. Semi-autos are designed to operate within a narrow spectrum of recoil impulse (Newton's second law: in this case bullet weight and velocity determine recoil impulse) and lack the revolver's versatility when it comes to ammo selection. A good double action revolver (v. a single action) can be fired by using just the trigger to fire or by cocking it with your thumb and then firing.

While at the sporting goods dealer the other day, I stopped to look at the latest offerings of ammo in the pistol calibres and it was interesting to see numerous brands and styles of high performance loads now available for these smaller weapons. Whatever pistol you decide on, you will have a vast selection of ammo to choose from.

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2011, 13:46
Jagdflieger, thanks for your suggestions. I did end up buying the Browning. But what I plan to do is take it to the closest range and fire it a few times. If I am not happy with it, what I might do is trade the Browning AND my Beretta Model 92...and get something I am satisfied with. NC

Jagdflieger
December 11th, 2011, 14:06
Chief,

Keep us posted on how well the Browning shoots. You might try FMJ bullets to start with as that is what the older pistols were designed around. If she works well with the FMJ, then try the high performance hollow points for function and reliability before depending on it.

My favorite 380 calibre pistol has always been the Walther PP or PPK. They are very reliable and quick to get into action given their double/single action trigger and well placed safety. They are now made in the the USA in stainless steel. At one time, they were considered powerful enough for routine law enforcement duties in Germany, but with the advent of terrorism in the 70s, they were phased out in favor of larger 9mm pistols with large magazine capacities.

If you ever get back out to the Puget Sound area again, we'll have to plan a day at the range.

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2011, 18:16
If you ever get back out to the Puget Sound area again, we'll have to plan a day at the range.

Will do! No idea when I will ever make it back to that area again, unfortunately. I hate to fly now; just isn't fun or pleasurable any more. But if I do, I'll let ya know.

Pete

strikehawk
December 11th, 2011, 18:36
Had a Mk I Hi Power in the 80's, got rid of it in 87, should have kept it with the Mick Mouse gun laws that were imposed in California. Since I carried it for business purposes, making bank drops, I had no use after I left L.A. so it went to a friend. Wish I still had that thing.

Ivan
December 11th, 2011, 19:34
IMHO,

The .380 ACP is a rather light cartridge to use for defence, but then again, it beats the heck out of no gun at all. I don't really agree that all pistols in this caliber lack accuracy. I bought some Hansen .380 made in Yugoslavia. This was the old PPU stuff. I could not hold a 18 x 18 inch target with the stuff. I thought it was my gun. The first reload I threw together had the gun grouping 5 shots into about a 2.5 inch group at 25 yards. A little more tuning put the 5 shot groups at about 1.5 inches extreme spread. To me, that isn't bad for ANY pistol and really quite excellent for a little blowback gun. This was when the gun was new. After shooting it quite a bit more, I found that sub 2 inch groups off the bench are quite usual performance if the ammunition is capable.

Navy Chief,
What's wrong with a Beretta 92??? Seems like quite a reasonable gun to me.

- Ivan.

Navy Chief
December 12th, 2011, 07:33
What's wrong with a Beretta 92??? Seems like quite a reasonable gun to me.

Ivan,

There's nothing at all wrong with a Beretta 92! Actually, I just had mine cleaned by the local gun shop. But mainly I am interested in having something I can carry, concealed. And the Beretta isn't exactly a small weapon. I may keep it, not sure. Just wouldn't carry it....keep at home. I am looking forward to test-firing that Browning, though! NC

Just out of curiosity, what are Beretta Model 92's selling for now? I have two 15 round clips with mine, also.

HouseHobbit
December 12th, 2011, 08:53
Just took out my 1910 browning today shot 100 rounds, she as always shot like a "little pistol"..
Also shot my High Power pre 1960 model 9mm

The M 1910, 32ACP I shoot hand loads, about 750fps..( over my chronograph)
as always the Brownings did well enough..
Averaged 2.5" at 10 yds and at 25 yds, about 5.5"..

The High Power Browning did great as always, 2" at 25 yds..
Pity the High Power is 9mm, such a weak underpowered round..

Also shot the M 1922 in .380 haven't fired this much she did well enough, 2.5" at 10 yds..
about the same at 25yds as the .32ACP..
Not meant to be used at this range 25yds, but I always shoot this range with any pistol I have..

Then to my Big Bore babies, My model 29 S&W .44 mag (silhouette model) and my two old models ( pre 1972) limited edition Ruger single action .45 long Colt and 44 mag..
Those I shot at 25 yds, 50 yds and 100 yds..Yea 100 yds, shot up a bunch of clay pigeons, can pick off clay pigeons all day long with the Ruger's, and the Model 29 S&W..

The Big Bores average 2-2.5 inches at 100 yds, with hand loads I worked up for these years ago..
All my big bores have been hand tuned, polished cylinders and trigger kits, I like the 1.5 lb trigger pulls on these..Just touch the trigger and off they go..
Or as my cousin likes to say, just look at them mean and they fire..:icon_lol:

Don't expect factory ammo to shoot this well, all my hand-loads have been worked up from years of testing and use..
All firearms do best with Hand loaded ammo tuned for each pistol/rifle, Factory ammo can never match this type of accuracy..
In competition shoots you NEVER see factory ammo there is a reason for this..

Let us Know how you did with the m 1910 you have, these little pistols are dependable and fun..

Navy Chief
December 12th, 2011, 17:26
Let us Know how you did with the m 1910 you have, these little pistols are dependable and fun..

I will! Am driving up to Punta Gorda, FL this Friday to apply for my CCW permit. On the way back home, I'll stop at the gun shop that will have it for me to pick up (waiting period, since I didn't have my CCW yet). Then, maybe this weekend, I'll go to the local firing range, and test it out. NC

Jagdflieger
December 12th, 2011, 21:52
Don't forget your ear and eye pro!

Remember:

1. Stance/position (balanced and relaxed with feet about shoulder width apart)
2. Grip (handshake firm, non firing hand over the firing hand)
3. Sight allignment (focus eye on the front sight)
4. Sight picture (center mass for self-defense practice or engagement)
5. Breath and then hold with about a half a lung full or whatever is comfortable
6. Trigger pull (no jerking!)
7. Call the shot (high-low-left or right)
8. Follow through (let the gun cycle through its recoil)

Do it all for each shot for the coordinated act of firing or just point the darned thing in the middle of the tango and shoot!

TeaSea
December 13th, 2011, 16:28
Jeeps, Guns, is there something we need to know about Sanibel Island there Chief?

Are we on full zombie alert?

Navy Chief
December 13th, 2011, 16:49
Jeeps, Guns, is there something we need to know about Sanibel Island there Chief?

Are we on full zombie alert?

Zombie alert? Nope, just enjoying life, here on the beautiful island of Sanibel. Decided against the jeep for now. Maybe in the future. As for the gun? Just exercising my Constitutional rights! NC

redriver6
December 14th, 2011, 10:49
if yer looking for a cc gun NC, the LC9 is smaller lighter and more powerfull than your Browning...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

the LCP is even smaller and lighter...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

but this what i carry...that is when i'm not carrying my G27..

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

Navy Chief
December 14th, 2011, 12:32
if yer looking for a cc gun NC, the LC9 is smaller lighter and more powerfull than your Browning...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

the LCP is even smaller and lighter...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

but this what i carry...that is when i'm not carrying my G27..

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

Thanks for the tips! I had to delay getting my CCW permit until Jan. 3rd. But will pick up the Browning this Friday.

Navy Chief
December 16th, 2011, 10:49
I picked up my pistol at a local gun shop today. Bought some target ammo for it, and will go to a range soon! NC