PDA

View Full Version : Dino Cattaneo F-14D "Slime Lights"

expat
December 9th, 2011, 09:46
In the midst of once again "rediscoverying" a particluar aircraft. Both Dino's and the IRIS FSX Tomcats have comparative strengths and weaknesses, but each is terrifiic and carrier ops are challenging and fun. The F-14D benefits from having the same HUD avionics as the default Hornet, and the same "Sludge" additions, in particular, the TACAN data that shows up in the HUD and let's you find a moving carrier, in the dark or bad weather. The IRIS Grumman has lots of great paints, a nice VC AND you can use Sylvain's excellent TACAN gauge to find the moving carriers as well. Tomcat heaven.

ONLY this repaint shows these formation lights, which I am unable to switch off. None of my other paints (have several that don't seem available anymore) show the formation "slime" lights at all. Very curious what could be in a repaint texture file that could activate this effect. I checked the fuselage texture in the screenie using DXTBMP and the lights are definately not painted into the textures, these are light effects.

Any experts here have any ideas?

falcon409
December 9th, 2011, 09:53
Could it be that they're modeled into the aircraft and coded to "always on"?
edit: Just noted that you say it's just that one paint. Does it use the same mdl file or is this repaint a separate model?

Mach3DS
December 9th, 2011, 10:41
You can't turn them off at all?

Wingmate
December 9th, 2011, 10:58
It looks like the repaint was made before the update where the slime lights got a more realistic color, the color for those lights is in the lower left corner of the burner.dds file. I don't think that not having the right color would be the cause of this though, but maybe moving the burner.dds from the default texture folder into that paint folder would do something.

expat
December 10th, 2011, 06:00
the color for those lights is in the lower left corner of the burner.dds file

Bingo! That was it - many thanks.