PDA

View Full Version : O the light side

Hern07
December 16th, 2008, 17:37
I know most of you have already checked out this site http://military.discovery.com/quiz/weapons/what-kind-gun.html (the Military Channel.) It's got little fun things, trivia, puzzels, etc., nothing too heavy. Take their quizz "what kind of gun are you?" I am an AK 47 myself. Enjoy.

Allen
December 16th, 2008, 23:38
.44 Magnum

OBIO
December 17th, 2008, 00:24
I'm an Uzi!

OBIO

hewman100
December 17th, 2008, 01:59
I'm with you OBIO

Dirtman
December 17th, 2008, 03:43
44 Mag ...... go figure eh?

...... 67033

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 05:15
...Commander .45ACP, Titanium/carbon-fiber 4-pound trigger, Throated ramp, Beavertail, Pachmayrs, Wilson combat sights, Bobbed hammer, Peened slide, Throated magazine well, 8-round magazines, Standard hardball ammo. :jump:

Go figure that combination of answers! :isadizzy:

And you can keep those pansy 9MMs and .40S&Ws. :ernae:

Jagdflieger
December 17th, 2008, 05:47
Hmmm. I keep coming up an Uzi too. Strange, as I have some history with the Uzi and I've never really liked it. For an SMG I really like the MP 5 much better. The terminal effect is the same between the two, but I can shoot the MP 5 more accurately.

Dirtman, they hit you right on the head with the .44 selection. Most apropos.

TR, a good 1911 is always a good answer. It was a sad day when we had to turn in our .45 1911A1s for the M9.

Hern, you must be a "low maintenance" kind of guy to come up with the AK!

Good_2_Be
December 17th, 2008, 05:52
:friday: UZI :tgun2:

The B24 Guy
December 17th, 2008, 06:04
Well Jag you are not alone. I am an Uzi also.

Regards,
B24Guy

Lawdog2360
December 17th, 2008, 06:15
I'm an UZI?? Personally, I'm with Jag. As far as hand held automatic weapons go, it's hard to beat the MP series of sub-guns. Or a good select fire M-4, for more serious social work.:sniper:

Bill Kestell
December 17th, 2008, 08:06
UZI .. go figure

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 09:32
...was I supposed to take the test? I'm an UZI too. :ernae:

Look at it this way.....the UZI is patriotic. Designed and originally produced in America by an American.....I'm still giving New York the benefit of the doubt and counting it as part of America. :costumes:

olaf1924
December 17th, 2008, 10:08
UIZI here ,but I always felt like a 220 swift.:wiggle:

Collin
December 17th, 2008, 10:09
105mm Howitzer ????:costumes::costumes:

regards Collin:kilroy: :ernae:

Collin
December 17th, 2008, 10:11
.44 Mag...tho I really do prefer the .45 Colt Commander.:icon_lol:

regards Collin:ernae:

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 10:11
TR, a good 1911 is always a good answer. It was a sad day when we had to turn in our .45 1911A1s for the M9.

M9 is just too bulky for the round it fires...not that it isn't a reliable, accurate weapon. :kilroy:

My custom Commander with 3/4" less barrel than the A1 and aluminum frame is what I prefer for 'emergencies', but for pure accuracy, competition and joy of shooting there's my compensated full-race A1 IPSC piece. :ernae:

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 10:51
...known to shoot through a hostage to get a bad guy.....but just a little bit. :costumes:

Collin
December 17th, 2008, 11:03
TR...is your Commander wooden handled?

gorra shoulder holster for it?

regards Collin

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 11:12
TR...is your Commander wooden handled?

gorra shoulder holster for it?

regards Collin

....I traded in the wooden grips for the rubber Pachmayrs pictured above (I'm a Gun Control freak obsessed with hitting what I'm aiming at and those grips cannot be beat.)....those are shots of my two .45s, not something off Google. I use two holsters for the Commander....a hip-pancake in Cordura Nylon and an inside-the-belt, small-of-the-back special in leather.

In addition to the other mods, I've had those pesky grip safeties disabled.

xavierb
December 17th, 2008, 13:59
Uzi... brrr... I don't like it.

Hern07
December 17th, 2008, 16:53
I had wanted to be a M-1 Garand. You know, old, but still damn good. And, if properly oiled and lubricated, can still get off nine shots a night. (It's been a long time since high school ROTC, but I think a M-1's clip held nine rounds.)

Willy
December 17th, 2008, 18:28
Uzi and I can't stand 'em. Give me a good ol' single action in 44 WCF and a lever rifle to match. I'll take it from there.

Jagdflieger
December 17th, 2008, 18:50
Hern,

8 rounds of M2 Ball (Cal 30 or 30/06). A good choice too. John Garand knew what he was doing when he designed the M1 rifle. The M-14 was nothing more than an improved Garand with a 20 round magazine and an improved gas system in the 7.62 Nato calibre.

Bill Kestell
December 17th, 2008, 19:15
Jeez, Jagd ... you said my favorite word (and the duck just dropped down from up above) ... M-14. God I just LOVED that rifle. Yes, heavy ... and the ammo too ... but boy I could shoot with it and if it could have cooked, I probably would have married mine. (or just lived in sin):friday:

Jagdflieger
December 17th, 2008, 19:33
Bill,

I too have had several affairs with the M-14. I used one on a couple different military rifle teams and went Distinguished with it. I also used it in its M-21 guise with both the Redfield and the Letherman sights on it.

My favorite was a Harington & Richardson made rifle modified for the National Matches with a match grade barrel and sights and a fiberglass bedded action. I've also used the TRW and the Winchester versions over the years. They are wonderfully accurate and are usable at 1,000 yards when using the M 118 round.

Not surprisingly, they are in great demand even now in the Global War on Terrorism as the Squad Designated Marksman's rifle.

Tango_Romeo
December 17th, 2008, 19:37
(It's been a long time since high school ROTC, but I think a M-1's clip held nine rounds.)

....I do believe it's an eight-round mag.

Remember how the bolt could crush your thumb when you pushed the mag home and weren't prepared....good ol' 'M1 Thumb'. :costumes:

I entered the service when the Air Force was transitioning from the M1 and Carbine to the M-16, so I qualified on all, along with the old .45ACP Grease Gun. We didn't use the 1911A1, but instead our handguns were the S&W Combat Masterpiece in blue steel, .38 Special along with the AR-15 .22 survival rifle.

I loved the pistol so much that I now own a S&W Model 67 (Combat Masterpiece in Stainless Steel). In single action fire it is so accurate that I can hit a 2-litre bottle at 100 yards on the first try 98% of the time from a modified Weaver stance.

Hern07
December 17th, 2008, 20:26
Hey Tango R., they didn't call me "black thumb" for nothing. The Pentagon hardly ever asks me for advice any more and I didn't serve, so my opinion is just that, an uninformed opinion. I don't think they should have switched in Viet Nam, a semi-automatic encourages more deliberate aim. I have read that in the excitement of combat a lot of men didn't even shoot at all or shoot at the sky. I do know that in the War of Northern Aggression they would recover muskets with 6 or 7 bullets still in the rifle. Men would load, think they fired and then repeat. Fairly often men would shoot their ramrods. Believe me, I mean no disrespect to men who have "seen the elephant."

hewman100
December 18th, 2008, 02:06
Maybe the fact that we all seem to be coming up as Uzis, with one or two notable exceptions, says something about the sort of people we are as doyens of CFS2?

But as Sigmund said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

LCBORDEN
December 18th, 2008, 03:53
Springfield Armory, .45 ACP Hand held, Magzine fed, Semi-Automatic Pistol, w/Leather, belt mount flapped holster, six magizine pouch web gear. Served me well through two tours in VietNam. A trusted old friend you might say. "Boom, Boom....Halt" or something like that.

ol' jarhead :wiggle::wavey:

DauntlessDriver546
December 18th, 2008, 07:38
I maintain my trust in the M1 Carbine... love that little plinker... except that when it plinks... something's gonna happen on the other end...

I'd have to say that my favorite gun IS the standard M1 Garand...

Tango_Romeo
December 18th, 2008, 08:28
I maintain my trust in the M1 Carbine... love that little plinker.

...that little rifle too. It's not a very good rifle as rifles go, but there's something classic about it. It engenders a certain feeling something like that you get from the old Winchester lever-actions. :kilroy:

I was introduced to the M-16 (then known as the Matel-16, Stoner Carbine or Plastic Fantastic) by an NCO who took an old M2 Carbine by the barrel and struck the floor with the stock breaking it cleaning behind the trigger guard. He then did the same thing with the M-16, which was unphased by the treatment. :male:

He then expounded on the merits of the rifle and it's ammo. All of the claims proved to be true.....except the one about the weapon not requiring much in the way of cleaning but a good dunking in the river from time to time. (This was the original M-16 without the chromed chamber/improved bolt which could jam under sustained full-auto fire without constant cleaning.) And you're right.....there was a lot of 'recon by fire' going on back then. :isadizzy:

The eventual replacement of the full-auto setting with the 3-round 'stitch' was very wise.

Am I the only one who was confused by the labels on the M-16's original selector switch? (This question is just for us youngsters who can remember back that far.) It offered S, A, and RR choices. S was obviously Safe. A was for Auto, but it really meant Semi-Auto. Then there was RR, standing for Rapid Repeat.....a crazy designation for Full-Auto, and the origin of the term 'Rock & Roll' to mean Full-Auto.
:173go1:

Skywolf
December 18th, 2008, 08:28
MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I am an Uzi! Personally, When I play America's Army, I prefer to be a sniper or have the SAW.

Tango_Romeo
December 18th, 2008, 08:36
...I ever fired is the one owned by my sidekick that has been rechambered to 7.62 NATO. I can't quite put my finger on the reason, but it is just the sweetest shooting most accurate M1 I've seen. :wavey: