PDA

View Full Version : Has the film industry FINALLY gone too far? :D

grizzly50
December 8th, 2011, 11:00
Just watch the trailer found here:

http://three-stooges-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/2010/06/three-stooges-remake-with-paul-giamatti.html

Naismith
December 8th, 2011, 12:33
Oh dear, the original Stooges weren't funny, so how they think they can improve upon it or even emulate it is a stretch. I think Hollywood is going through a stage of no creativity or originality. Even Spielberg the other day declared that he could not think of many movies made in the last 10 years that he would bother wanting to watch --- apart form his own of course. He has a point.

yank51
December 8th, 2011, 12:42
Sorry guys... I think it's a riot!!! :applause::applause::applause:
I grew up watching the original Three Stooges and never did anything but laugh at them, which was their intention. I never emulated their behavior in the least, but just found them funny. To each their own I guess...

Tako_Kichi
December 8th, 2011, 12:49
Arrrghhh my sides!!!!!!.............and my eyes are leaking!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_lol:

IFlySWA
December 8th, 2011, 13:22
Ok, that was pretty funny. :icon_lol: I wonder if the audience will be able to take an hour and a half of the Stooges instead of the 15 minutes we're used to?

Brian

Dain Arns
December 8th, 2011, 13:41
Three Stooges were hilarious when I was a kid.

It is a Farrelly Brothers movie, which means you'll have to drop your IQ down to a single digit to enjoy it.
But I'll buy a ticket just to watch the so called celebrity "Snooki" get an eye-poke from Moe, again, on the big screen. :icon_lol:
*DOINK!*:isadizzy::173go1:

andersel
December 8th, 2011, 14:46
I didn't even make it through the trailer. Although, as I have said before, there's no accounting for taste, even the idea of a "new" Three Stooges movie is truely unfortunate. They were not funny then and they are even not funnier today. :toilet:

LA

brad kaste
December 8th, 2011, 15:21
I didn't make it through the trailer either. But for another reason. Being a super fan of the original three,.....these imitators were just dumb-pathetic. Just pathetic. The guy playing Curly is the biggest insult to Curly Howard's legend. Yeah,...he's captured his voice and intonations a bit.....but other than that...there's not much to talk about. This movie should be buried before it sees the light of day.

Willy
December 8th, 2011, 15:27
The original Three Stooges are an acquired taste I guess. I loved them as a kid, but as an adult not so much. Personally, from watching the trailer, I don't think the new ones are as good as the originals.

I do agree that Hollywood has very little creativity these days. Almost everything is a remake. There is one movie that I will go see when it's out later this month and that's War Horse which is set in World War I.

Eoraptor1
December 8th, 2011, 17:32
I do agree that Hollywood has very little creativity these days. Almost everything is a remake. There is one movie that I will go see when it's out later this month and that's War Horse which is set in World War I.

I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. In my opinion it's a business decision. It's cheaper for a studio to make a film if the parent company already owns the intellectual property. If things go well, there's a built in audience that enjoyed the original property who they hope will come to see the remake. There's a scene in Robert Altman's movie The Player [about studio executives and a murder] where Peter Gallagher's character, Larry Levy, is throwing out ideas at a business meeting on how to eliminate writers from the filmmaking process so they don't have to pay them. At the end of Gallagher/Levy's presentation, Tim Robbins' character, Griffin Mill, adds, "Now if only we could get rid of all those actors." I think we're well on that road now.

I don't get out to the theater much anymore; the admission is too expensive and I'm on an austerity budget. I think the last movie I saw was The Thing (not a remake; a prequel) and that was because I had a free pass.

JAMES

Willy
December 8th, 2011, 17:58
The theater in nearby Milan TN charges $5 a head on all shows. Popcorn and drinks are optional. Even at that, I'm very picky about what movies I go see. The new 3 Stooges I'll pass on.

IFlySWA
December 8th, 2011, 18:18
I see this film not so much as a "meet the new Stooges" film, but more of a tribute to the real Stooges.

Brian

Panther_99FS
December 8th, 2011, 18:19
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

stansdds
December 9th, 2011, 02:08
The original Three Stooges shows were funny, but I'll pass on the rehash.

wombat666
December 9th, 2011, 03:37
There is one movie that I will go see when it's out later this month and that's War Horse which is set in World War I.

A brilliant film made even better by employing the best 'Horse Whisperer' in the known Universe.
:applause::australia::applause:

Dain Arns
December 9th, 2011, 03:51
I see this film not so much as a "meet the new Stooges" film, but more of a tribute to the real Stooges.

Brian

I think you're right.
Honestly, I hadn't heard about this movie until this thread yesterday.
Did a little reading up on it out of curiosity...

For example, it is 90 minutes long, but will actually be 3 short movies altogether.
The old Stooge movies were shorts. :kilroy:

Javis
December 9th, 2011, 05:21
Just as they keep their dirty hands off of Laurel & Hardy ( and the Marx Bros )

cheers,
jan

grizzly50
December 9th, 2011, 05:47
I pretty much agree with many of you.

An acquired comedic taste.

Funny when we were kids...

...BUT, no one can even come close to this classic moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2X--p9smg

Except the one and only Curly.

Dain Arns
December 9th, 2011, 08:09

cheers,
jan

Yes.
They can't recreate this...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8ZvugebaT6Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2011, 12:02
I grew up watching The Three Stooges, and still enjoy them. Timeless, classic, brilliant comedians, in my opinion.

Aside from that, I rarely ever watch remakes. And, if I read the website correctly, Sean Penn will be involved with this in some capacity. That ALONE, is enough reason for me NOT to watch the movie.

Sean Penn is an idiot.

NC

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2011, 12:04

cheers,
jan

My dad told me he once saw Laurel and Hardy at a train station....NC