PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Eoraptor1
December 7th, 2011, 09:30
...or has the History Channel turned into the Ancient Astronauts Channel?

JAMES

Terry
December 7th, 2011, 09:52
It's just you. They spend a lot of time selling storage lockers, picken, and pawning.

ThinkingManNeil
December 8th, 2011, 05:59
Discouraging, isn't it? I remember when TLC had actual science shows, now it should be called "The Dysfunctional Humans Channel" (whoever decided to showcase "Toddlers and Tiaras" ought to be run out of town on a rail). Discovery Channel sometimes offered some "hard science" fare, now their latest offering is "Hillbilly Handfishin'!". And the History Channel/History Television dealt with history, not fat pawnsters, William Shatner's need for attention, or van Daniken groupoids. Even PBS has shown some occasional lapses in judgement. The dumbing down of society continues apace. Sigh.

N.

Ickie
December 8th, 2011, 06:39
I agree, the same ole stuff every week, just a new person trying to convince me of this bull.

voyager
December 8th, 2011, 06:50
Plus the local "news" channels here seem to be more gossip than news.

voyager

Dain Arns
December 8th, 2011, 08:16
I don't watch cable anymore.
Music channels don't play music anymore, just reality TV garbage.
History channel doesn't have anything historical, just reality TV garbage.
A&E no performances anymore, just reality TV garbage.
And now all of them have the same type of reality TV garbage, shows about auction buyers.
Who cares who out screwed so and so on a bid.

I got enough drama and reality at home, I don't want to watch someone else's "made up reality" as entertainment.
The $8 a month I spend streaming old TV shows and Movies via Netflix is the best money spent to get entertainment when it was still entertaining.

Ickie
December 8th, 2011, 08:19
reality TV sucks

Jagdflieger
December 8th, 2011, 08:40
I agree! TLC and the History Channel used to be my most watched channels. Now I probably only watch either one perhaps once or twice a month. I wonder who is in charge of programming? I'm sure they need to make a profit, but they now seem to cater to the far left side of the bell curve.

I now find myself back to reading a lot more and that's not a bad thing.

Dain Arns
December 8th, 2011, 10:35
...I now find myself back to reading a lot more and that's not a bad thing.

Same here.
Right now I've been re-reading "The Spirit of St. Louis" by the Man himself, Charles A. Lindbergh.
Now that's reality. :icon_lol:

Astoroth
December 8th, 2011, 10:38
Due to the never ending stream of garbage on tv, with nothing worth watching, I haven't had cable, or even local tv in my house for over 5 years. Don't even have a set of rabbit ears. DVD movies are the only reason I have a tv in the house at all.

Naismith
December 8th, 2011, 12:38
Too many channels and not enough quality programming nor talent to fill the available space, which is why we have the Kardashians and all these talent shows with people of questionable abilities being highlighted as STARS.

Eoraptor1
December 8th, 2011, 17:53
I watch very little reality tv, and I turn the channel if I see a Kardashian, but there are programs I enjoy. I like Boardwalk Empire. So far, I've liked Hell on Wheels. I have a complex love/hate relationship to MadMen. I love NOVA and Secrets of the Dead on PBS. I like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. I like Mythbusters, because I'm for proving things out and not just swallowing everything I'm fed, and I'm addicted to ESPN.

I too am reading a lot more. I just finished re-reading Charlie Wilson's War. I read it, listened to it on audiobook, and then re-read it, because there are quite a few complex relationships. This book challenged more of my assumptions about the Cold War than anything in recent memory. It was not what I expected, more about the personalities and motivations of the participants than any abstract political philosphy.

JAMES