PDA

View Full Version : Skydiver Collision

kilo delta
December 6th, 2011, 11:51
_9fHrJbj1SY

At 2,500 feet, my jump partner flairs his canopy causing it slow down rapidly. I entangle with it and he cuts away. Unable to fly a ball of nylon effectively, I impact a cornfield breaking my pelvis, back and neck causing instant paralysis. As I lay waiting for help, spinal shock begins to set in paralyzing my diaphragm and breathing on my own becomes impossible. Rescue breathing is performed as I lose consciousness. Paramedics arrive and I'm med-flighted to UW Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin where I awake days later after surgery and begin life as a quadriplegic. It's taken me four and a half years to be able to watch this video.

demorier
December 6th, 2011, 14:24
He waited way way way to long to cut that tangle away. Only time it happened to me I was up about 10000' at the time...had heaps of time to get rid of it and put the reserve out.

kilo delta
December 6th, 2011, 14:33
I got tangled up jumping from an An-2 @ ~5,000ft. Luckily my chute wasn't as badly tangled as in the video and I had it sorted out quickly without loosing much altitude. It's amazing how quickly the training kicks in however...no time to panic etc. Left me with one heck of an adrenaline buzz afterwards!:icon_lol:

Willy
December 6th, 2011, 16:45
One reason I'll never jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

TARPSBird
December 6th, 2011, 21:13
I don't know jack about skydiving, but just for safety's sake I'd want to have more horizontal and vertical separation between myself and the other jumpers in my group. You can joke and talk once you're on the ground.

stansdds
December 7th, 2011, 02:18
Skydiving is definitely not for me. Unless I see the pilot leaving, I'll stay with the aircraft.

modelr
December 7th, 2011, 09:37
One reason I'll never jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Same here!!