PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Frustrated with CFS3 and Win 7 Home Premium X64

MajorMagee
December 3rd, 2011, 18:14
New computer (AMD Multiprocessor) and just did a fresh install to get ready for installing Rising Sun. Followed the instructions for Win 7 in the sticky thread but I'm getting nothing usable when I try to run the clean fresh install of CFS3.

First time after install it runs for a few moments, and then the screen goes kerfluy, and the 3D rendering stops with big blocks of blue replacing the nice screen rendering. After that you can exit, but the next restart the airfield is empty, and trying to fly again goes immediately to kerfluy, or just crashes the system. Reinstall gets you back to step one, but with no different result after trying to fly, just more kerfluy.

I tried rolling back to older video drivers, but no difference.

I tried changing the folder permissions to allow CFS3 more ability to change files as it wants, but no difference.

I noticed that the keyboard, and joystick assignments seemed whacked as well, so I wonder if there's something else interfering with CFS3 beyond just the 3D graphics problem.

Right now I'm just looking for hints as to what to try next. :banghead:

MajorMagee
December 3rd, 2011, 18:38
BTW it's the same video card I've used for years to fly CFS3 on my previous XP machine that had the motherboard die.

Tailwind
December 3rd, 2011, 19:46
Hi

What video card is it?

Are there any other issues other than CFS3?

Do you have another card to swap out to test?

Cheers

TW

O-1Driver
December 3rd, 2011, 20:10
I feel your pain, I lost my great single core PC with windows XP and can't seem to figure out anything anymore with this new PC. Everything is so different and CFS 3 is running with very poor FPS and my on board graphics card is trash. I miss my old PC terribly.....I used to be able to simply right click and in seconds scroll and copy a file to any other drive and folder but that option is gone with windows seven on this new PC. The difficulty factor is way up trying to work with the CFS3 folders now.

O-1

MajorMagee
December 3rd, 2011, 20:14
It's a GTX 285.

Yes, lot's of other problems with things like the user interface controls, and the process not ending when you exit.

I used Process Lasso to restrict CFS3 to just one core of the CPU and now it at least runs, so I know it's nothing to do with the video card. It used to run on my IBM Dual Core just fine, but this AMD x4 CPU evidently causes CFS3 to get lost.

Now my problem is that if I exit from the in flight screen it shuts down properly, but exiting from the UI screen causes the process to keep running in the background.

I'm also unable to get CFS3 to use my TrackIR at all even though that's running properly otherwise.

Daiwilletti
December 3rd, 2011, 20:38
Hi,
when you say "After that you can exit, but the next restart the airfield is empty, and trying to fly again goes immediately to kerfluy, or just crashes the system. Reinstall gets you back to step one, but with no different result after trying to fly, just more kerfluy." that suggests that the issue is one of the location of all the application data files. i doubt very much that it is a hardware problem, shouldn't be a need for drastic action.

have you set up cfs3 so it is run in XP compatibility mode? That is done by right-clicking on the shortcut on the desktop and going to the compatibility tab. That might help.

MajorMagee
December 3rd, 2011, 20:57
Yes, I followed those instructions from the start.

I found that the TrackIR problem was that it needed to run in Administrator and XP compatibility mode as well for it to work with CFS3. (These settings are generally not required for it to work with things other than CFS3)

Sticking to using only one core seems to do the trick to get CFS3 to run.

I'll keep working on why it won't end the program when exiting from the UI screen.

Emile
December 3rd, 2011, 22:06
Hello,
I have selected the " run in Administrator and XP compatibility mode " for ALL .exe files in the CFS3 folder. Same for all .exe in ALL my ETO, PTO, RS, BOB, Korea, ...
Up to now all seams OK .... Crossing fingers
Hope it helps

NSS
December 3rd, 2011, 23:26
I too was having all sorts of isues with my 10 installs of CFS3.

OFF would not close down to the manager, and all versions would still run in the background.

The sollution for me was to install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer.

Should say Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, AMD dual core processor.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153

May work for you, give it a try.

BeauBrummie
December 4th, 2011, 05:33
A bit basic perhaps, but do you have the User Account Control switched off? That's guaranteed to screw any CFS3 install up.

flyer01
December 4th, 2011, 06:38
I have a Duel partition on Internal HDD.Windows XP Pro 32bit.
Windows 7 PRO 64 bit.
I'v put the CFS3 and beyond on the XP side of the hard drive. If you still have you XP product code from you PC that had XP you can re-install XP on your new PC if you make a Duel Partition. I used EASEUS Partition Master 9.0.0 Home Edition that is free.

Or you might try putting your XP HHD into your new PC. Ether way you will have XP on your new PC.

Hope this helps.

eddie
December 4th, 2011, 07:50
I'm using an AMD Quad Core, with an ATI 1 GB video card and have had no problems running CFS3, its even installed in the Program Files (X86) section. Of course, I turned off UAC a long time ago. Win7 Home Premium is my OS.

MajorMagee
December 4th, 2011, 10:27
I too was having all sorts of isues with my 10 installs of CFS3.

OFF would not close down to the manager, and all versions would still run in the background.

The sollution for me was to install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer.

Should say Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, AMD dual core processor.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153

May work for you, give it a try.

I did try that at one point last evening, but it didn't seem to help. That's when I just went to running it on one core.

MajorMagee
December 4th, 2011, 10:28
I'm using an AMD Quad Core, with an ATI 1 GB video card and have had no problems running CFS3, its even installed in the Program Files (X86) section. Of course, I turned off UAC a long time ago. Win7 Home Premium is my OS.

That tells me that I shouldn't be having any of the trouble I've been having because your set-up is nearly identical to mine. :banghead:

hairyspin
December 4th, 2011, 12:12
Win7 64-bit Home Premium here and I've run it for CFS3 since the pre-release versions without incident, although I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo. I regard the UAC as a curse and always have it off for CFS3 development.

Run CFS3 as Administrator, XP SP3 mode. When exiting the program use the sim's in-game menu, not Alt-F4: that always CFS3.exe as a running process on my rig.

But have you run CFS3config since installing vanilla CFS3??

MajorMagee
December 4th, 2011, 13:22
I have, multiple times.

MajorMagee
December 4th, 2011, 17:37
UAC is off.

I've tried it with each of the four processors, and they all function fine, as long as CFS3 is only trying to use them one at at time.As soon as I try to enable more than one I get the screen errors in the 3D display.

It still stubbornly refuses to end the cfs3 process when you exit through the UI screen. Exiting back to windows from within the flying screen ends the process just fine.

Human Drone
December 6th, 2011, 09:28
Hi all, hope no one minds if I bump in here. My new machine is coming tomorrow, so I have been following MajorMagee's problems. I'm getting the idea that turning off UAC is pretty important, even if you've installed to something other than "C:\Program Files (x86)". I figure to install to something like "C:\FS\CFS3" and similar for FSX and OFF and so on. It's been a while since I've had to install anything, so if anyone can wedge a comment in about this (or just PM me) I'd appreciate it.

I must admit, it sounds like there is a peculiar problem with MM's machine. Magee, are you saying you actually have to somehow disable 3 of 4 cores, effectively turning your machine into a single core unit to run CFS3? That's pretty weird. Do you have a warranty or access to tech support for your machine?

Best,

Tom

hairyspin
December 6th, 2011, 11:27
Magee, are you saying you actually have to somehow disable 3 of 4 cores, effectively turning your machine into a single core unit to run CFS3? That's pretty weird.

CFS3 is nearly ten years old and is not multiprocessor capable, but why you have to specify one core only is a puzzle - Win7 is smarter than that. Are your motherboard drivers up to date? Could be worth a check.

Tailwind
December 6th, 2011, 16:23
Hi

The assign CFS3 to a single CPU process goes back to early Core 2 Duo and Dual Core CPU's that would cause terrible screen stutters. Using a third party application to manually assign CFS3 to 1 core would sometimes fix the issue

Speaking of this reminds me about the AMD processor optimization download. Have a read here and see if this is something you want to try

Cheers

TW

Emile
December 6th, 2011, 22:03
Hello,
For your information, I have NO problem with my 4 processors and HT. I did NOT disable any processor.

Daiwilletti
December 7th, 2011, 21:47
Just to add background info, I have a Core 2 Duo E8600 3.3GHZ running well, without disabling or assigning a core, but its on Win XP SP3.

Hope you get it sorted,
David

MajorMagee
June 2nd, 2012, 04:07
I ran dual core on both Vista and XP for years. It's just Win 7 on the quad core where this showed up as a problem.