PDA

View Full Version : GAS PT 22 Recruit

Spad54
December 3rd, 2011, 07:49
The first compile was today, still a gray lady................ but coming along. Have a peek

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/pt223.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/pt222.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/pt22.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/kinner.jpg

N2056
December 3rd, 2011, 07:52
Yowza!

Looks great! :jump:

Sundog
December 3rd, 2011, 07:57
That looks great! But take your time. I have me a gyro-copter to keep me busy.

heywooood
December 3rd, 2011, 08:28
seems like I've been waiting a long time for this Ryan...she looks sweet Spad

got to sit in the one at Gillespie Field that the SD Aerospace museum is restoring - I needed a cigarette after that and I don't smoke 'em

Roger
December 3rd, 2011, 11:11
Oh Yeah!:applause:

CodyValkyrie
December 3rd, 2011, 11:17
I'm sure you have a lot of reference material, but I have access to a nice young PT-22 pilot that I could probably get you guys in touch with. This will be a must buy for me.

Spad54
December 3rd, 2011, 12:28
I'm sure you have a lot of reference material, but I have access to a nice young PT-22 pilot that I could probably get you guys in touch with. This will be a must buy for me.

Please check your pm. I think you can of help to the project Thanks

mgchrist5
December 7th, 2011, 05:52
Looks great! I'm glad to see another GAS creation in the pipeline.

Out of curiousity, is an FS9 version also in the works?

Thanks!

Spad54
December 10th, 2011, 15:14
Looks great! I'm glad to see another GAS creation in the pipeline.

Out of curiousity, is an FS9 version also in the works?

Thanks!

No not for FS9. Top Flight Simulations released an FS9 version in 2010, so we'll leave that alone. Here a few shots of current progress, some basic place holder textures as the final bitmaps are worked out.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/PT22_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/PT22_1.jpg

falcon409
December 10th, 2011, 16:19
Oh yea. . . .Beautiful work!!! Like Sundog, I've got a Pitcairn to keep me busy for now so steady as she goes Spad!!!:salute:

pilottj
December 10th, 2011, 16:39
She looks beautiful Paul.

A while ago I was at a small airshow in Petaluma, there was a Fairchild PT-19 parked next to a PT-22 with the inline engine. Suprised the PT-22 seemed a bit smaller than the PT-19.

heywooood
December 10th, 2011, 18:53
that IS sweet...got'ny of her with her pants on yet?...

Spad54
December 10th, 2011, 18:54
Oh yea. . . .Beautiful work!!! Like Sundog, I've got a Pitcairn to keep me busy for now so steady as she goes Spad!!!:salute:

Yes sir, this one is very special for us (me) took all day today to model the canvas oleo strut covers. We'll get her right.....promise.

heywooood
December 11th, 2011, 11:50
Open cockpit, bracing wires, wheel pants...all the elements of the Golden Age.

You guys can go ahead and spend my money, I'm sold on the Ryan Recruit / STA

I have to also say that the last few planes I have purchased from GAS have been excellent in quality, from the Stearman, the Whirlygig, the Stinson Jr etc..

all great value and low impact on FPS in FSX.

I rank the Ryan right up there with the Stearman as my all time favorite aircraft in r/l - so glad you guys are making one for FSX

Bomber_12th
December 11th, 2011, 15:42
(Sorry to bring up a pilot-related issue, as I know that everyone hates bringing up pilot-size, but...) ...just a friendly (light-hearted) reminder to re-check the scale of the model of the pilot. ; )
Right now, the current pilot fitted, is just making the PT-22 look quite large-compared to its "actual-size-to-average-pilot-size" ratio (having been up-close in person with a few different examples over the last couple of years, it is only built big enough to barely allow two people in, and not much more - the nice thing being, that you feel very 'one with the airplane' when you are seated in the cockpit). : )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/CablePt22.jpg

Bomber_12th
December 11th, 2011, 15:46
The aircraft is shaping up very nicely, and it is great to see Golden Age Simulations reproducing the PT-22!

Spad54
December 11th, 2011, 17:21
(Sorry to bring up a pilot-related issue, as I know that everyone hates bringing up pilot-size, but...) ...just a friendly (light-hearted) reminder to re-check the scale of the model of the pilot. ; )
Right now, the current pilot fitted, is just making the PT-22 look quite large-compared to its "actual-size-to-average-pilot-size" ratio (having been up-close in person with a few different examples over the last couple of years, it is only built big enough to barely allow two people in, and not much more - the nice thing being, that you feel very 'one with the airplane' when you are seated in the cockpit). : )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/CablePt22.jpg

Yup the pilot has been upsized. Appreciate the feedback. Just remember its a work in progress. The picture provided is very helpful and appreciated Thanks

Bomber_12th
December 11th, 2011, 18:31
I liked your mention about the oleo 'socks/covers'. The great thing about FSX, is that it finally allows for the ability to animate them properly/just like the real thing, with the support for skinned-mesh/bone-animation (that can't be done in previous flight sims).

I also applaud you for striving to do both the PT-22 and STA, as for those that have/do get into the details between them, know they are definitely two different aircraft.

heywooood
December 11th, 2011, 18:35
there is another slight difference between the photo and the beta model WRT the undercarriage.

the beta has bracing wire from the center of the lower fuselage out to the lower pinion of the left and right rear gear strut - but in the photo they appear to be metal rods...?

or are my old eyes not seeing clearly

OleBoy
December 12th, 2011, 00:46
I realize the PT-22 is beta, although I would like to point out, the more detail modeled in, the better the representation inside the sim.

Lots of nice shots. http://nhungdoicanh.blogspot.com/2010/05/ryan-pt-22-recruit.html

And the topping on the ice cream for me. http://v4.cache5.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/24956411.jpg?redirect_counter=1

greybeardgil
December 12th, 2011, 08:13
Thanx for those pics Oleboy one is certainly going to help me inside the pit!...Best Gil

Spad54
December 12th, 2011, 09:43
there is another slight difference between the photo and the beta model WRT the undercarriage.

the beta has bracing wire from the center of the lower fuselage out to the lower pinion of the left and right rear gear strut - but in the photo they appear to be metal rods...?

or are my old eyes not seeing clearly

The wires are modeled complete with Clovis yokes and pins. Glad everyone is taking interest.

OleBoy
December 12th, 2011, 11:56
I've always had interests in the early era. In fact, I've always liked what I see being produced by you folks. Not many developers out there that are going in the direction you do, for FSX interests. A niche area I spose. I know you and your team do this for a hobby. As I, to relax and get enjoyment. It's a great hobby.

I've always thought;

When I look at your work, it represents pride in realism for sure. While knowing your add-ons have hit the sales like many out there today, I've looked all over the internet in search of screen shots of your products. I found scads of viewing subjects that depict aviation history that were made by your team. With fantastic effort! What I don't see is detail in the heart of the aircraft. The Kinner engine for instance. Five radial jugs out in front that represent the charisma it's propelling through the skies. A radial engine that, in my eyes, should be thee most, amongst the rest, detailed it can possibly be. I don't know what it is about the radial engines, but whenever I see a plane with them, cowled or not, my attention goes directly to them first. Then the rest of the aircraft's beauty flows so I can appreciate them old birds more. Anyone who loves them big (twins, 3cyl, 5cyl and more) radial engines, surely agrees. I would love to see more details in the engines. I'd be a new, and very loyal customer of your products. :medals:

Spad54
December 12th, 2011, 14:13
I've always had interests in the early era. In fact, I've always liked what I see being produced by you folks. Not many developers out there that are going in the direction you do, for FSX interests. A niche area I spose. I know you and your team do this for a hobby. As I, to relax and get enjoyment. It's a great hobby.

I've always thought;

When I look at your work, it represents pride in realism for sure. While knowing your add-ons have hit the sales like many out there today, I've looked all over the internet in search of screen shots of your products. I found scads of viewing subjects that depict aviation history that were made by your team. With fantastic effort! What I don't see is detail in the heart of the aircraft. The Kinner engine for instance. Five radial jugs out in front that represent the charisma it's propelling through the skies. A radial engine that, in my eyes, should be thee most, amongst the rest, detailed it can possibly be. I don't know what it is about the radial engines, but whenever I see a plane with them, cowled or not, my attention goes directly to them first. Then the rest of the aircraft's beauty flows so I can appreciate them old birds more. Anyone who loves them big (twins, 3cyl, 5cyl and more) radial engines, surely agrees. I would love to see more details in the engines. I'd be a new, and very loyal customer of your products. :medals:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/kinner-1.jpg

OleBoy
December 12th, 2011, 14:36
I suppose that you were trying to be complimentary and so for the effort I thank you. Since the Boeing 75 project, each of our engines have been built with attention to detail that is not readily apparent in a screen shot. The fact that you mention that you would be a NEW customer, had we done more with the engines, indicates to me that you have no first hand experience with our products. That's okay with me but I would hope that you would reserve criticizing our work until you have had the ability to experience it first hand. Here is a detailed screen shot of the Kinner. Note the each fin is properly positioned and modeled along with plugs, rocker boxes, cylinders, wires and head bolts. etc. Sorry to sound defensive, but my team breaks its arse to build accurate representations of golden age aircraft with the best of our abilities and talents. If that is not satisfactory well then so be it. We do the best we can. have a peek

Indeed I am, and was trying to be complimentary. I was not criticizing by any means.

I know that screen shots leave a lot to be desired for any clarity and detail. I've seen this myself when I compare shots of my own work with what I see in the simulator. The details do lack dramatically. And I know what it takes to build a model. Not literally. But I have helped and followed along during the process several times. It is a labor of love to be dedicated in doing so. I enjoy the finer details is all.

OleBoy
December 12th, 2011, 15:00
Spad, I had all intentions, and still do, to be a customer of your labors. I have had my eye on them over at PC Aviator. http://www.pcaviator.com/store/home.php?cat=696

Let me ask you. What do you and your team consider to be the best of the best for your efforts? Please give native recommendations for FSX. (excluding the Pitcairn)

1st choice
2nd choice

I will buy two after you reply.

OleBoy

Spad54
December 12th, 2011, 15:53
Spad, I had all intentions, and still do, to be a customer of your labors. I have had my eye on them over at PC Aviator. http://www.pcaviator.com/store/home.php?cat=696

Let me ask you. What do you and your team consider to be the best of the best for your efforts? Please give native recommendations for FSX. (excluding the Pitcairn)

1st choice
2nd choice

I will buy two after you reply.

OleBoy

I think our Stinsons were one of our best packages. Then after that the Lockheed 12. Its a toss up with the Boeing Stearman which looks great but we did take a bit of heat on the flight dynamics. My hope is that in a few months the PT 22 and the STA will be in the number 1 slot

Spad54
December 12th, 2011, 15:58
I think our Stinsons were one of our best packages. Then after that the Lockheed 12. Its a toss up with the Boeing Stearman which looks great but we did take a bit of heat on the flight dynamics. My hope is that in a few months the PT 22 and the STA will be in the number 1 slot

Sent you a PM Oleboy. check and get back to me on the idea. Got to log. Will follow up with you tomorrow..best:salute:

OleBoy
December 12th, 2011, 16:11
LOL! Paul, PLEASE, check your PM's :mixedsmi:

I just purchased the Stinson package, and the Lockheed 12 :)