PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ORBX mod....

skyhawka4m
December 2nd, 2011, 19:34
I haven't seen this posted here if it was MY BAD!! But...I just loaded it and my frames doubled....AWESOME!!!

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38204-public-beta-ftx-day-night-switcher-can-double-your-fps/

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2011, 19:57
Thanks for the reminder. I heard about it, read about it, even went where I could have downloaded it. I was skeptical due to differences in response. Now I'm going to try it.

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2011, 20:16
You're correct. Frames went from 23-31, to 64-104 fps. Interesting. All was working great for about, oh, two minutes. That's when my joystick lost all rigidity, and 3/4th's of the control deflection was gone too. I'm not liking the outcome so far.

Time to reboot and test again.

Felixthreeone
December 2nd, 2011, 20:27
Day/Night switcher is very, very good! I have been testing/tuning my new videocard the last few days, and I have been doing so without using the switcher. Once I got things dialed in, I applied the switcher and WOW! A really noticeable difference, even when running with a frame lock, as i usually do. It just seems to make things....smoother? The pity here is, I tend to do quite a bit of flying in the Dawn/Dusk timeframe...so I tend to leave it on the 'night' setting...

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2011, 20:32
Before I reboot I reset the lights back to on. When my machine cycled back to the desktop my joystick was back to normal. I went for a quick flight to confirm, and all is good again. I don't know if what happened was a fluke, or caused by changing whatever code that the utility changed. I'm not using it again until I go to the FTX forums and read about it more.

The frame rate increase was substantial and very fluid for a long distance. All sliders MAXXED with FULL traffic!

Naismith
December 2nd, 2011, 21:48
Great, another icon to press and setup before I ever get to the sim. How often have I fired it up only to realise, Drat! I forgot the Moving Map/Weather/Saitek panels/Snapper/AISmooth/FTXCentral/TrackIR - Delete as appropriate. LOL

roger-wilco-66
December 3rd, 2011, 01:17
Does this only apply to ORBX sceneries or such that use certain scenery elements?

Rimshot
December 3rd, 2011, 01:48
It's for FTX sceneries only.

Francois
December 3rd, 2011, 02:40
So basically it is a 'patch' ? :icon_lol:

P38man
December 3rd, 2011, 02:49
It is not a patch at all.

Turns off FSX lights.

It is a feature of FSX to have lights on in the day.

Francois
December 3rd, 2011, 03:07
.... if it only works for Orbx products..... :kilroy:

OleBoy
December 3rd, 2011, 08:02
Great, another icon to press and setup before I ever get to the sim. How often have I fired it up only to realise, Drat! I forgot the Moving Map/Weather/Saitek panels/Snapper/AISmooth/FTXCentral/TrackIR - Delete as appropriate. LOL

I can't count the times I have been in the same situation. A script for a .BAT file that started everything, would be great. Wouldn't it? I have mentioned it before several times since last year.

spotlope
December 3rd, 2011, 08:33
It's not necessary to run the day/night switcher every time you fly. All the switcher does is replace one set of library objects (the lights/poles), with a set that doesn't have the light effects attached. If you are okay with not having the lights at all, you can just click the Day mode once, and never think about it again. At least, until you decide you want your lights back.

It's kind of like Shade's "set and forget" mode in that respect.

Francois
December 3rd, 2011, 11:20
Aha, I see. Tnx Bill.

Naismith
December 3rd, 2011, 12:42
I can't count the times I have been in the same situation. A script for a .BAT file that started everything, would be great. Wouldn't it? I have mentioned it before several times since last year.
I seem to remember there was something akin to that for FS2004 by some clever person. Damned if I can remember his name. You could specify the order that programs were executed in a fancy Windows Box thingy.