PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Suggestion

gecko
December 2nd, 2011, 11:35
With the release of Rising Sun we now have several new but largely empty theaters to fill up with historical airfields, targets and landmarks. As there are literally hundreds of things we can build, I thought it might help us get off to a quicker start if we checked out what has already been done for CFS2. I was just looking in the CFS2 scenery downloads and found lots of airfield textures we can easily use in CFS3 (with the authors' permission of course) or use as reference in creating our own. For instance, there are several scenery packages available for PNG. Also there's lots of European scenery available as well, might be of help to Andre in his French airfield construction efforts as well. We'd still need to create the facility files and a few new buildings, but having the textures out of the way means a lot less work and research. Just a thought.

Daniel

Pat Pattle
December 2nd, 2011, 12:25
Sounds an interesting idea Daniel, I don't know how the cfs2 airbases were constructed, do they use a single ground texture?

Edit...Have downloaded a set to look at and yes they do. They're in a different format and would require converting to .dds and having the outer edge of the image removed.

Food for thought chaps!

gecko
December 2nd, 2011, 12:48
So far, the ones I have downloaded do, but maybe not all? They are of a lower resolution - usually 512x512 but I found some 1024x1024 as well. Nevertheless I think it's a good starting point.

rbp71854
December 2nd, 2011, 13:49
Daniel

Yes this has great potential and could help with getting the airfields into RS sooner. I would welcome someone taking on this task freeing up my available time to devote to terrain work.

cheers
Bob

Talon
December 2nd, 2011, 13:58
There's also airfields for the CBI for CFS2.Also airfields for the Philippines.

Some of the PNG airfields are for the early part of the war while others are for later part

I've already done missions for the RS PNG and CBI.

gecko
December 2nd, 2011, 14:44
Talon, seems like you are a lot more familiar with the CFS2 world than I am, do you have any recommendations for good scenery for the different areas covered in Rising Sun? Do you know how the building layout is done in CFS2 and what files control it? Is there a way to reverse engineer them to convert them to CFS3 facility files?

Talon
December 2nd, 2011, 17:02
Gecko.

I still do campaigns for CFS2. As a matter of fact I did one last summer in the PNG. The one before that was Leyte in the Philippines. I also did an AVG and CATF ( what the AVG became in July 1942 )

For the PNG and Philippines used Maskrider scenery.He also has a tutorial of what he does that might be nelpful and a map with the coordinates,elevation and headings for all his airfields. To find most of his stuff go to archives.cfs2 scenery and to last page and look for things by Chris Westervelt.

For the AVG and CATF Xavierb2 did the airbases.

Most buildings,ships,planes and so forth are made with G-max. I don't know how to convert them to cfs3 though.

Hope some of this is of some help.

gecko
December 2nd, 2011, 22:34
Thanks for the info and recommendations Talon. I'll download those and some others and have a look see. I think I'll also post over in the CFS2 forum soon to see if any of the authors are still around.

Daniel

Pat Pattle
December 3rd, 2011, 00:18
I think I'll also post over in the CFS2 forum soon to see if any of the authors are still around.

To reciprocate Daniel perhaps you could mention that any of the ACC airfield textures or gmax buildings that I've done are available for cfs2 if anyone wanted to convert them.