PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fly the Alphasim Mig-25 in FSX?

OBIO
November 30th, 2011, 18:45
I am doing some paint work for the FS9 Alpha Mig-25. All of the add-on skins I have found show the plane in overall gray....gray, gray, gray. Boring gray. While this may be accurate and correct....I have grown tired of flying one gray Mig-25 after another. So, I created a new layered paint kit in 2048 by 2048 so I could have crisper panel lines when reduced back to 1024 by 1024. Knowing that FSX will support 2048 by 2048 size texture sheets, I will gladly work with an FSX user of the Mig-25 to place into the community's hands some 2048 by 2048 sized versions of my paints. They will NOT be gray....and they will NOT be accurate depictions of actual planes. They will be colorful camo patterns in what ever fashion my mind comes up with. I have the stock camo skin redone to remove the over sized panel lines, a two-tone bluish camo with Georgia markings, a Russian winter scheme based on the pattern of the stock camo scheme. Working on a Syrian two-tone desert camo scheme.

I use Martin Wright's DXTbmp to save my raw bmps in 32-bit 888-8 format...but I don't believe that the program will support 2048 by 2048 size textures. May be wrong as I have never tried it.

If someone wants to be the FSX side of this endeavor and can take raw bmps and format them to work in FSX....give me a holler and I will shoot you a package of the raw bmps once I have a collection of paints done.

OBIO

Here's a couple screenshots of two of the paints I have done so far.

Also, if anyone would like a copy of my paint kit to use to create new paints...just ask. The paint kit is in Photoshop format and is not a super detailed, professional level kit....just the panel lines, some grime, some dirt, some overall weathering, has a set of UV maps showing where all the parts are mapped to. Just covers the two textures used to do the fuselage, wings and tail.

abdocobra
November 14th, 2012, 13:06
Hi I need to paint kit in order to repaint a Libyan MiG-25 you help me get paint kit

hschuit
November 14th, 2012, 13:13
The problem with the Alphasim MiG-25 is that it completely looses it's exterior specularity/shine in FSX, making it dull and flat. I tried to fix it with MDLMat but nothing did work :crybaby: so I keep it in FS9 where it looks so much better.

abdocobra
November 14th, 2012, 13:19
Not a problem important to help me get on paint kit

Daube
November 15th, 2012, 01:43
I tried it when it was first released. I love this plane in real life, and I installed the Alphasim one just to check some photoreal repaints.
While the plane looks great externally, the virtual cockpit is virtually useless. The plane was only good for screenshots, so I uninstalled it quite quickly.

Daube
November 15th, 2012, 01:49
The problem with the Alphasim MiG-25 is that it completely looses it's exterior specularity/shine in FSX, making it dull and flat. I tried to fix it with MDLMat but nothing did work :crybaby: so I keep it in FS9 where it looks so much better.

Well, the original Mig-25 doesn't shine at all in real life, if I remember correctly.
Here is how it looked in my FSX:

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1424.jpg
http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1425.jpg

DennyA
November 15th, 2012, 19:45
You know there's a really nice freeware, native FSX MiG-25, right?

Daube
November 16th, 2012, 02:46
You know there's a really nice freeware, native FSX MiG-25, right?

Yes I do, but I didn't like the virtual cockpit at all, so it didn't stay in my hangar more than a few minutes.

abdocobra
November 24th, 2012, 09:37
What about the request _Paintkit mig 25 - Please help me

abdocobra
December 9th, 2012, 13:00
Please help me get Paintkit

DaveQ
December 10th, 2012, 02:19
I use Martin Wright's DXTbmp to save my raw bmps in 32-bit 888-8 format...but I don't believe that the program will support 2048 by 2048 size textures. May be wrong as I have never tried it.

Just for info - DXTbmp does support 2048 x 2048, even 4096 x 4096 though the latter takes a while to load up. It will also readily convert these to .dds for FSX if needed although you need to remember to flip the file + alpha first.

DaveQ

abdocobra
December 10th, 2012, 07:38
I do not need to learn to use the program DXTBmp I just want Paint kit / MiG-25 Foxbat