PDA

View Full Version : I'm speaking to the person who's stolen the property of the USSR

Eoraptor1
November 29th, 2011, 10:23
Another FSX newbie question. I recently started rereading Craig Thomas' Firefox, and have accordingly been zooming around in Owen Smoots' MiG-31, modified for use in FSX. I'm using a 2D panel ported over from a MiG-29, but as the a/c as is has no virtual cockpit, I was wondering if there was a procedure for aliasing a VC from another model, like that being done with the beta Rafale and the MS F-18 VC. The aircraft is great fun, but I'd like it to have a rudimentary virtual cockpit. Is such a procedure posible in FSX?

NOTE: Rereading the book, I didn't believe the Firefox's Mach 5+ top speed for a number of reasons, but it's interesting to see how many of the plane's systems are no longer science fiction, but actual aeronautic fact.

Many Thanks,

JAMES

guzler
November 29th, 2011, 10:41
If the model is still an FS9 model, you won't unfortunately be able to alias a cockpit to it, that can only be done with FSX native models (unless someone corrects me).

Lovely model though, not come across thisbefore.

kilo delta
November 29th, 2011, 10:56
If the model is still an FS9 model, you won't unfortunately be able to alias a cockpit to it, that can only be done with FSX native models (unless someone corrects me).

Lovely model though, not come across thisbefore.

That's correct...the aircraft will need to be FSX native ie compiled with the FSX SDK, and will need a separate interior model in order to swap VC's. You can,of course add any 2D cockpit,however.

Eoraptor1
November 29th, 2011, 11:10
Thank you for answering. I got the model on flightsim.com. Use the search function including the words "FSX Firefox". As I said, I didn't care for the 2D panel that came with the original model so I switched it out for the IRIS MiG-29. Remember: Think in Russian.

JAMES

kilo delta
November 29th, 2011, 11:34
You know you're getting old when you can remember the cinema trailers for the film!:kilroy::icon_lol:

DarrenL
November 29th, 2011, 12:06
The FSDS source files are on Simviation if they are use - http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=firefox&categoryId=

Eoraptor1
December 4th, 2011, 10:30
I stumbled over a fansite dedicated to the Firefox the other day and thought I'd share it. Many of you are probably already aware of it but here it is anyway: http://thinkinrussian.org/

It has lots of interesting links, and you can download the most recent FSX adapted model there. I'm greatly enjoying zooming around over Niagara Falls in the model as is, but I'm also trying to massage the flight model into a MiG-25 Foxbat. Those of you who've read the original Craig Thomas novel know that the Firefox as written more resmbled a Foxbat or Foxhound than the a/c in Clint's film. (In Firefox Down, Thomas seems to have changed to plane's appeance to more closely resmble that in the movie; which you've got to admit was a pretty cool looking plane) Along those lines I appreciate it if someone could point me towards a "For Dummies" type guide and/or tutorial to properly setting contact points. There was one on Simviation, but the download appears to be broken, and I know there was one here at the Outhouse (I ran a search) but that link also appears to be broken.

I didn't know Craig Thomas had died this year in April (same as my mother). Those of you who've followed my posts know I'm a HUGE Clint Eastwood fan (part of my hostility toward Twilight is due to having been pressured into seeing sissy hair-gelled vampires instead of Gran Torino). I think Eastwood has a very interesting body of work, but I didn't think his filmed version was as good as Craig Thomas' book. It's extremely rare when I think a filmed adaptation is as good as the book, and I think the only movie I actually liked more than the novel was Hannibal. I get madder and madder every time I think of that book. Anyway, if I have the SOH membership right, I think most of you would greatly enjoy Firefox, Firefox Down, and Winterhawk.

JAMES