PDA

View Full Version : As much as I hate to admit it....I might have to go Apple

TeaSea
November 27th, 2011, 06:16
Not that I have anything against Apple mind you (other than the proprietary Software/hardware mark-up), but I hate the pretentious Apple mindset of most of their users....LionHeart (my Kodiak hero) excepted of course! It's like dealing with vegans....

Anyway, I had a chance to work an Ipad 2 with ForeFlight flight planning software installed. I gotta admit....pretty sexy, and I could actually save money with the ForeFlight software over buying the individual charts over the course of a year. Also, have you ever tried to re-fold a chart in flight?

Still, the buy in on capital the Ipad is still pretty steep. Got to think about it a bit.

P.S. Is there anyone I have not offended in the opening line of this thread, because I can take another stab at it! :)

n4gix
November 27th, 2011, 08:12
I was tempted enough to actually visit the "Apple" online store on Friday to "perhaps" take advantage of the Black Friday discounts...

When I saw that there was only a piddling $61 discount on the iPad 64GB, I figuratively walked away, shaking my head at Apple's blatantly obvious greed.

That is a word I rarely use, but in this instance there can be no other explanation given the current low production costs of hardware.

kilo delta
November 27th, 2011, 09:11
I've been sorely tempted too, but I'll hold out for a decent sized android tablet when they inevitably come down in price. :)

stiz
November 27th, 2011, 10:03
the only usefull thing that apple has made that cost what its worth was the little ipod shuffle ...

rayrey10
November 27th, 2011, 14:58
I bought my wife an iPad for her birthday last year and she loves it. Yes, it's a little pricey but it is a cool gadget. I wish I had waited 5 more months and gotten her the iPad2 with the cameras....I'll just wait a few more months and get the "iPad5s" when it comes out :bump:

TeaSea
November 27th, 2011, 15:32
I've been sorely tempted too, but I'll hold out for a decent sized android tablet when they inevitably come down in price. :)

I'm thinking the same....the problem I have is that the applications I'm interested in are only for the Ipad right now. That may change though....

aeronca1
November 28th, 2011, 08:56
Not that I have anything against Apple mind you (other than the proprietary Software/hardware mark-up), but I hate the pretentious Apple mindset of most of their users....

P.S. Is there anyone I have not offended in the opening line of this thread, because I can take another stab at it! :)

I tend to agree. Way back, I moved from Amiga to Mac, went to a few of their user group meetings and never went back strictly because of the attitude of almost all of the members. I remember using some very unPC language to describe most of them. Now I just say Apple is not hardware it is an iReligion.....

flaminghotsauce
November 28th, 2011, 10:03
PCs are tools, either Mac or Windows or whatnot. The Tablets are tools as well. I don't buy into the snobbery of Mac for snobbery's sake, I look at what the tool will do for me.

I bought my wife an Ipad last year as well, mostly for browsing but also as a "brain extension" so to speak. she loves it, and I'm very impressed with the device. I just recently picked up a galaxy Tab 7" running some version of Android or other, don't know, don't care. I love it as much as the Ipad, however, I'm a physical keyboard kind of guy, so I don't use it very much. The kids get a lot of time on it, and we also use it as a Pandora streaming device when wifey is using her "brain extension" for something else.

I'm looking hard at an Imac, and some version of a laptop as well. I'm lookng for a better laptop for simply browsing the internet, with good screen resolution, a cool running, quick, stress free experience so I don't have to put up with crap first thing in the morning over my first cup of coffee. I might go with an Air machine. Not that I'm going to get rid of my Windows machines, my gaming machine, or switch entirely to any platform. In fact, I rather like being familiar with multiple platforms just for the geeky-ness.

So don't feel any guilt, snobbery, or uncomfortableness for buying into Apple if it does what you want it to do for you. It's like getting all hung up over Dewalt drills versus Milwaulkee or Black and Decker. Whatever does the job.

andersel
November 28th, 2011, 15:39
I wouldn't buy an Apple product someone held a gun to my head. My position might be unreasonable but, hey, if I'm going to part with six figures, more or less, for any consumer electronic device it's going to be for something made by a company that I, at least, feel good about. And I don't feel anything close to good about Apple.

LA

n4gix
November 29th, 2011, 07:47
I tend to agree. Way back, I moved from Amiga to Mac, went to a few of their user group meetings and never went back strictly because of the attitude of almost all of the members. I remember using some very unPC language to describe most of them. Now I just say Apple is not hardware it is an iReligion.....

That sort of parallels my experiences at http://x-plane.org/ forums... :)

hey_moe
November 29th, 2011, 08:15
Well my two cent. I have the Apple laptop and two of the IPads. I couldn't be happier with all three products. I don't know what it is with the graphics on any Apple products but the put the rest to shame. I haven't had a burp out of any one of them. As far as I am concerned they are products well made. I also own one of the IPhones to and it is sweet too.

ColoKent
November 29th, 2011, 10:28
....I have a 13" MBP, a MacPro, iPhone and iPad. Love them all. Only one problem-- the MacPro didn't handle FSX as well as I wanted. So, I recently went nuts and built a killer PC-- strictly for FSX. I have no idea why Apple doesn't realize that their lack of bigger processors and higher speed RAM and GPU utilization is a death knell to gaming on those machines...forcing most of us to go the PC route for gaming.

But other than that...in my opinion, there simply is no comparison....the fit, finish, graphics, and HMI on Apple products reflect an integrated, well thought out approach that is a pleasure to operate (Not trolling for Apple-bashers, either. If you don't like them, the best thing to do is not buy one. I'm not trying to defend Apple).

Back to the PC-- for some Flight Sim!

Kent

crashaz
November 29th, 2011, 14:41
The Android pads are being worked on in terms of adressing this market.

http://www.avilution.com/

Aviation Maps

I personally will buy an Android before buying an iPad.... Android more democratic in it's software distribution.

Also have my eyes on the Transformer Prime coming.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/asus-transformer-prime-the-android-tablet-to-rule-them-all/5731

:wavey:

Chacha
November 29th, 2011, 21:15
I have an iMac, an iPad (first edition) an iPod, and an iPhone4G
very satisfied customer...
Waiting to upgrade my iPad and maybe getting a MacBookPro or an MacBookAir (still debating)...

I still have my Dell Desktop and the Vaio laptop which my daughter uses...

There are a lot of things you need to consider TeaSea..
Your personal satisfaction is the most important thing..
We all have different tastes..

I hope you get the computer (Apple or no Apple) that best suits your needs, man!

TeaSea
November 30th, 2011, 15:44
My needs are simple.....run flight planning software from the ground and in the air. I'm tired of constantly buying charts, and using various differing tools, then pulling them together in the cockpit. Anything beyond that is gravy. Since at this time most apps I'm interested in are Ipad based, and since they get the most kudo's from the aviation community, that's probably what I'll go with.

Still....I'm cheap.

Odie
December 1st, 2011, 14:22
I've used PCs all my Computer-life, but when the iPad came out my business started requiring me to travel every other week out of state. I picked up an iPad
in order to load my favorite movies/tv series on it to travel with. Not ever having used an Apple product before, I found the iPad fairly easy to use as well
as the iTunes software that runs on my PC.

I'm still traveling and my iPad goes with me. The only gripe I have is that iTunes is a little too easy to use! I gave my wife $200 towards iTunes purchases
and it's amazing how quickly you can burn through it. Enjoyable and easy to use.

I looked at getting one of the Apple notebooks, but they are still a bit pricey for the moment.

kilo delta
December 12th, 2011, 02:49
I managed to secure a HP TouchPad in the firesale :icon_lol:...discounted from $499 to $99. Had to use a mail forwarding service as I'm not in the US, and fingers crossed it'll slip by Customs without incurring further charges.:kilroy:

Plan is to dual boot with native WebOS and Android.

TeaSea
December 12th, 2011, 16:36
I hate you.

No seriously, I think I'm going with the Ipad just because of the Apps I want to run. I've decided to wait until after the holidays though....

Have fun with the Touchpad. For $99 you just can't go wrong.,

kilo delta
December 13th, 2011, 00:03
Thanks Tea Sea. :icon_lol:

Yeah...an Android tablet would be of more use to me tbh...though I must say that the iPad was very tempting. Hey...maybe Apple will have a firesale too! :p

rayrey10
December 13th, 2011, 02:34
Just don't make the mistake I made and wait to see if and when the "iPad 3" is coming out.