PDA

View Full Version : Oh no ... what have I done? Mesh permanently ruined?

delta_lima
November 26th, 2011, 22:42
I was experimenting with the Calclassic PNW pack, and trying to rid myself of the modern day terminal at KSEA, which conflicts with the really nice terminal they did.

I disabled the "Wester North America" scenery layer - that led to what you see below. OK, bad idea, I thought - surely, if I renable it, it'll be fine, no?

It is enabled, and it still looks like this.

What have I done? Surely I can undo this?

Thanks folks!

DL

Matt Wynn
November 26th, 2011, 22:49
there's revetments..... then THERE'S REVETMENTS! even i'm stumped by this....

Roger
November 27th, 2011, 01:27
I was experimenting with the Calclassic PNW pack, and trying to rid myself of the modern day terminal at KSEA, which conflicts with the really nice terminal they did.

I disabled the "Wester North America" scenery layer - that led to what you see below. OK, bad idea, I thought - surely, if I renable it, it'll be fine, no?

It is enabled, and it still looks like this.

What have I done? Surely I can undo this?

Thanks folks!

DLHaving re-enabled it have you taken the entry back down to where it was originally...right near the bottom of the list?

roger-wilco-66
November 27th, 2011, 03:07
Do you remember where it was situated in the scenery library? The entries are arranged by priorization here and need to follow a strict order in some cases.
Generally, airport elevation corrections for default airports need to be placed right under the "nnnn Base" entries (the lowest is the "0000 Base") of the scenery database in order to work, IMHO. In order to demote the entry in the FSX scenery library, highlight it and press Alt+D, that's faster than clicking endlessly with the mouse.

HTH,
Mark

Killbilly
November 27th, 2011, 03:19
I had a similar problem once a while ago. It seems like I just reinstalled the latest objects library, then disabled and reenabled the region. Give it a go.

delta_lima
November 27th, 2011, 07:42
To the two Rogers ...

Yes, that scenery is still in the same "order".

Tried the objects library fix - no go.

dl

Dangerousdave26
November 27th, 2011, 10:44
What operating system are you using?

***Edit never mind let me just go out on a limb and make the assumption you are using Windows 7.

Your problem is most likely the fact that FSX did not write the change to the scenery.cfg file or it placed the change in the wrong location. Which scenery.cfg file becomes the question. There are three when you are using Windows 7 and 2 when you use XP.

You will need to open each scenery.cfg file and look for the entry.

The first place to look is in your FSX folder. Open the scenery.cfg file and look or search for Western North America

The entry at default should look like this

[Area.106]
Title=Western North America
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=106
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

The next place to look is the Appdata folder

C:\Users\{someUser}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX <---- Windows 7
C:\Documents and settings\{someUser}\application data\Microsoft\FSX <---- Windows XP

The entry in the scenery.cfg file at default looks like this

[Area.106]
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=106
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

The last place to look and this only exists in Windows 7 is the Program Data folder. It is a hidden folder so you must have show hidden folders turned on

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

The entry here also at default is

[Area.106]
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=107
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Notice that the layer value is 107 in this location. Don't ask me why.

Make sure that each layer is correct and not in conflict with other layers in that particular file.

mal998
November 27th, 2011, 11:42
Simple, do a Restore back to yesterday. All fixed!

Meshman
November 27th, 2011, 13:09
Mesh look OK to me? You do have an airport elevation problem.

Default KSEA elevation is 433'. If you start up FSX and position yourself on 34R with the DEFAULT Cessna 172 and hit Shift-Z a couple of time it will give you an elevation reading. The 172 is 3.6 feet above ground level (viewpoint), so you should have a reading of 436.6'. But I doubt you'll see that, based upon how the airport layout is buried into the ground. Somewhere you have a revised airport file, either the airport layout or a flattening file and that's what's causing the visuals.

Do you see the same effect at nearby airports, like KPWT or KTIW?

delta_lima
November 29th, 2011, 22:00
Hello DD et al,

Sorry for the late reply - had to take one of my kids to hospital - been focused on life issues.

I'd like to try your fix - but in fact I'm using Win XP. I'll look for the first two files - try the fix, and advise the results.

By the way - sucky as the last couple of days have been, I have to chuckle at Matt's comment - that's exactly what I thought when I first saw it! :icon_lol:

Will advise results when I get a minute ....

dl

What operating system are you using?

***Edit never mind let me just go out on a limb and make the assumption you are using Windows 7.

Your problem is most likely the fact that FSX did not write the change to the scenery.cfg file or it placed the change in the wrong location. Which scenery.cfg file becomes the question. There are three when you are using Windows 7 and 2 when you use XP.

You will need to open each scenery.cfg file and look for the entry.

The first place to look is in your FSX folder. Open the scenery.cfg file and look or search for Western North America

The entry at default should look like this

[Area.106]
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=106
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

The next place to look is the Appdata folder

C:\Users\{someUser}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX <---- Windows 7
C:\Documents and settings\{someUser}\application data\Microsoft\FSX <---- Windows XP

The entry in the scenery.cfg file at default looks like this

[Area.106]
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=106
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

The last place to look and this only exists in Windows 7 is the Program Data folder. It is a hidden folder so you must have show hidden folders turned on

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

The entry here also at default is

[Area.106]
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=107
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Notice that the layer value is 107 in this location. Don't ask me why.

Make sure that each layer is correct and not in conflict with other layers in that particular file.

scott967b
November 29th, 2011, 22:34
In FSX, Western North America (NAMW) only contains landmark objects. This is a change from FS9 where all the terrain and airports were in there as well. So the files that control the default airport and mesh are instead in the 0101 scenery area.

There are numerous ca 2007 objects in the file seattle.bgl in NAMW.

scott s.

delta_lima
November 30th, 2011, 12:38
Hello DD,

Files in both locations were exactly as you've prescribed they should be. Now this is worrisome ....

I have a complete FSX backup on another drive - replaced the 0101 scenery files - nothing improved .....

Meshman, the other airports are fine ...

I hope I'm not looking at a reinstall .... :(

dl

Holger Sandmann
November 30th, 2011, 13:27
Hi there,

perhaps there are remnants of airport elevation adjustment files in Scenery\World\scenery or other folders? I'd suggest running a Windows search for any .bgl files with "KSEA" as part of their names and check whether those files are default or add-ons. Actually, the only separate "KSEA..." files in FSX default are chart .gif and .jpg files.

Cheers, Holger

delta_lima
December 1st, 2011, 19:32
I decided to simply pull the pin and reinstall. Got rid of a lot of junk in the gauges folder that I couldn't have otherwise done, as well as the addon scenery folders.

That said, I learned something very helpful: I found the file"scenery.NAMW.scenery_Seattle.bgl" in the FSX/setup/XPackchage folder. On the new install, I experimented by removing it from that location, and that got rid of the default (ie: modern) Seattle airport. That allowed the original objective of the exercise to be achieved: the calclassic Seattle now looks fantastic - no modern buildings.

I know there's likely a more elegant solution in the form of an exclude - but hey, it worked ... :)

thanks to all who tried to help!

dl

N2056
December 1st, 2011, 19:37
I'm glad to see you got it fixed. I'm hoping all is well with your kid.