PDA

View Full Version : UNCLE!

N2056
November 24th, 2011, 20:00
For the last 3 days I have been fighting some issue with my rig. Despite re-installing windows on assorted drives I eventually keep ending up with Firefox crashing, and then the whole thing ends up going south. At this point I have decided that for the sake of my sanity for now I'm walking away from it for a bit. After 3 reinstalls in 3 days only to end up dead in the water I'm totally fed up for now. I am pretty sure there is a bad something in there somewhere, but at this point I honestly am not interested in spending tons of time screwing around with it.

I'll be able to keep up with the duties here from another computer in the house, but for now I just have no desire to keep banging my head against the wall regarding my own rig. The projects are safe...I have been able to burn dvd's.

I have been pondering reworking my cave for awhile. I think it might be time to act on that, along with a lot of other things around the house that I need to address.

Meshman
November 24th, 2011, 20:23
After the turkey overdose has passed and you've had the opportunity to get some rest, start by looking at other things being the problem.

I had one of my computers BARF on me, so I figured I'd reinstall Windows. Then I started losing HDs! I decided to go back to the simple steps. Turned out during my relocation one of the memory modules got slightly loose and my problems were a result of that. Got them put back in good and snug, ran a few passes of Microsoft's memory tester and reinstalled Windows again. Solid as can be now. If I had checked the ram right off I would have saved some time and frustration.

Point being, wire somewhere could have come loose or maybe needs a good cleaning? It'll be waiting for you when you decide to get 'er done.

N2056
November 24th, 2011, 20:30
I have been "rolling my own" for years. Re-seating connections was one of the first things I did. Honestly, at this point I'm almost looking at this as a "sign". I'm spending too much of my spare time doing this.

N2056
November 25th, 2011, 08:10
Well, I tried cranking it up this morning. It ran CHKDSK, found nothing, and started ok. For now I'll see what it does, but not use Firefox.
I probably will go through the connections again to be sure, and it is clean inside. I blow it out regularly...the clear side panel helps me monitor that!

kilo delta
November 25th, 2011, 09:34
Any particular error coming up? Maybe have a look at the inbuilt Event Viewer. If the issue seems to occur with Firefox alone then it would point to a software rather than hardware issue. Try Google Chrome or Internet Explorer to help diagnose if the issue is definitely due to FF.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
November 25th, 2011, 09:42
sfc /scannow typed in a dos window is a favorite of mine, it will check and repair all your original windows files and registry entries.

Sounds to me as though there is a battle for control of your browsers going on, the ini file will show the addons being loaded , there are a whole lot of toolbars dying to self initiate, flash video recorders , its where i would poke round to find out .

As to reloading the OS , its good to do after a couple of years to speed things up and clean out the machine , they run like new again.