PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Newbie

andersel
November 22nd, 2011, 19:28
After a number of years simming I have made the decision to attempt painting. I have a copy of PSP 7 and have DL'd dxtbmp. I've been reading some tutorials. When I converted some files to ,psp and opened them in the program I discovered thatPSO 7 will not work in a 64 bit environment. Great! Both my Desktop and laptop are running Win 7 (64). So my question is this: Short of shelling out mucho dinero for a current version, is there a way to upgrade PSP 7 so that it will work on my OS. My other possible alternative is to buy an older laptop that is running Win XP and going from there. Any opinions and/or suggestions?

LA

AussieMan
November 22nd, 2011, 21:16
That's strange as I have PSP 5 running on my 64 Bit windows 7. The way I got it to work was before I installed it I right clicked on the setup icon and went to Properties/Compatability and set it for Windows 95 or Vista mode. The install worked fine for me then.

I also have PSP X running as well but feel more comfortable working with PSP 5.

andersel
November 22nd, 2011, 21:45
Thanks for the tip. I'll uninstall and give 'er another go.

LA

gaucho_59
December 9th, 2011, 03:20
After a number of years simming I have made the decision to attempt painting. I have a copy of PSP 7 and have DL'd dxtbmp. I've been reading some tutorials. When I converted some files to ,psp and opened them in the program I discovered thatPSO 7 will not work in a 64 bit environment. Great! Both my Desktop and laptop are running Win 7 (64). So my question is this: Short of shelling out mucho dinero for a current version, is there a way to upgrade PSP 7 so that it will work on my OS. My other possible alternative is to buy an older laptop that is running Win XP and going from there. Any opinions and/or suggestions?

LA

This is the title of an old spaghetti Western with Terence Hill... It literally means "For a few dollars more..."
I've been using PSP since its inception by Jasc ... Up to the latest version of PSP X3... (serious photo retouching, etc.)
Really, if you want versatility and an up to date, user friendly, serious paint program... spend those dollari in piu...
PSP 5 belongs in the "Stone Age" lol... Visit the Corel site... they have special offers for less than a hundred bucks...
lots of bang for the money... comparable, if not even better, to Photoshop (I use both and am a serious painter.... with
real brushes and digital..)
Believe you me... you won't be sorry...

OBIO
December 10th, 2011, 06:53
andersel

Just the other day, I installed Paint Shop Prop 7 on my Win 7 Ulitmate 64-bit system....not one single problem with the install or running the program.

OBIO

johnh_049
December 10th, 2011, 08:42
I've used PSP7 since it was new. installed it on windows7 last year with no problems at all. works great:ernae:

gigemaggs99
December 25th, 2011, 18:33
I don't have the dinero for PSP, I use either Gimp or Paint.net. For me, they have all the same features as PSP, I don't repaint for living so I can't justify the cost of the program. Both Gimp and Paint.net are FREE.

Keep in mind, Paint.net isn't the simple paint program that comes with windows, you can download Paint.net for free.

I use DXTbmp to open the files, then edit them in Paint.net, just like anyone else would in PSP, then send them back to DXTbmp and re-save the new painted textures.

You can paint in layers, add alpha channels, do everything you need to do.

Just another option out there.

Good luck sir.