PDA

View Full Version : 354th FG in WWII updates - Opinions NEEDED please

Captain Kurt
November 22nd, 2011, 19:12
I am now at 90 missions completed and don't plan on going much past 100. The campaign is now near the end of March 1945 with only 6 weeks of war left. I needed an updated Fw190D-9 so I've been doing a little work on Akemi Mizoguchi's version. The skin is done (below) and I'm still fiddling with the airfile.

Captain Kurt
November 22nd, 2011, 19:21
I only have 10 to 15 more missions to complete.

The one thing I am concerned about is frame rates once the player starts switching to the P-47D and P-51D because the Alphasim models are not multiLOD. My computer handles what I am putting into the missions which is about 16 P-47D's or P-51D's max. But I don't know if most guys rigs will do as well or not. I don't want it to become a slide show for others.

One option might be to include a light version campaign files with lower poly AIs? I have an idea I could use the VB P51D and a different P-47 (as yet unselected) as an AI substitute if it becomes necessary. I can live with that if the models looks OK from a distance. One option might be to include a light version campaign files with lower poly AIs. Maybe as a follow on the the main campaign release so as to not delay that further? So I thought I would ask here what your opinions are. What's my best course of action in your opinion?

Rami
November 23rd, 2011, 01:48
Kurt,

You can hand-edit the missions manually so that the AI use a lower-poly AI model which IS multi-lod. I used this technique for "Tidal Wave" because of the AI model of the aircraft I was using would crash on takeoff.

Rami
November 23rd, 2011, 01:49
Kurt,

Excellent work, I'm looking forward to this one. I also like the "weather-beaten" look. :mixedsmi:

skylane
November 23rd, 2011, 02:26
Hello Kurt!
I also use the method mentioned by Rami in my missions. For ai formations you could use any aircraft with good framerates. Whe looking at them from a distance during flight, they look good enough. For the player formation you could use the Alphasim airplanes, although it is still possible to hand-edit the mission after it is finished, so that some wingmen also fly the framerate-friendly airplanes.

just my thoughts...

Cheets,

skylane

skylane
November 23rd, 2011, 02:28
Beautiful! I'm looking forward to this plane, and to the campaign!

Discus
November 23rd, 2011, 06:10
Very nice skin CK. It will become a favorite for my long nosed 190. And with your attention to detail if you are looking at the air file it will be better still!:jump:

Thanks a lot in advance. Discus

gius
November 23rd, 2011, 07:22
Very beautiful skin, CK, i'll look forward to it...
I've also a request regarding Akemi's Dora: anyone has the skin depicting the mount of the german ace Eugen Dortenmann, made by Chris Nolte, it was once available on the repaint room of the Akemi's site...
Bye,
Gius

sc7500
November 23rd, 2011, 07:37
I have a Paul Rebuffat Set from Jg-54.... will that help ?

SC
:kilroy:

Ian Astill
November 23rd, 2011, 08:50
Why Don't you just use Andrew Wai's p51d and the KM and FDG2 P47'S

As far as I'm aware both are great looking aircraft and both are multi LOD or at least Frame rate friendly

JapLance
November 23rd, 2011, 09:26
Very beautiful skin, CK, i'll look forward to it...
I've also a request regarding Akemi's Dora: anyone has the skin depicting the mount of the german ace Eugen Dortenmann, made by Chris Nolte, it was once available on the repaint room of the Akemi's site...
Bye,
Gius

I can't remember where did I get it from, but here it is:

This is a repaint of Akemi Mizoguchis excellent Fw 190 D-9.

The plane was flown by Oberleutnant Hans Dortenmann, 3./JG 26, Klein-Kummersfeld/Germany, April 1945.

The plane is at
http://hago003.hp.infoseek.co.jp/hanger3.htm

Christian Nölte, May 2004
ch.noelte@freenet.de

gius
November 23rd, 2011, 10:23
Hi guys,
thanks to sc7500, but the texture is for a bf109f, and overall to JapLance, the file attached is that i was searching for...:jump::jump:
Best regards,
Gius

Captain Kurt
November 23rd, 2011, 14:49
Thanks guys. I know how to do it. A lot of the missions have extensive hand editing, so it won't be like playing a standard CFS2 mission in all cases. I just wondered if it would be acceptable for 2 reasons - one is that it is yet another download and another aircraft in the folder, and second (and this is the answer for Ian) is why I am using the Alphasim models in the first place - to improve the visuals in the campaign as much as possible.

IMHO the Alphasim models themselves are much more accurate than the KM and Wai models and the flight models for all of them needed improvement to match real A/C performance as close as possible. To that end I chose to work with what I consider to be the best models.

So what I am hearing is if the model is viewed at a distance, this makes less difference while the frame rates are more important?

Anybody else care to comment? If not, you'll have to hold your peace if your computer can't hack the frame rates :jump:

bearcat241
November 23rd, 2011, 17:23
I'm just ready to fly it...been waiting patiently since you first announced it, reading your updates and keeping busy with your 9th AF camp -- not bad at all BTW. :medals:

So just give us what you have. Its almost 2012 and the majority should have the horsepower by now. Those that can will handle the performance issues. And as with everything done before this, those that can't will just do their own replacement mods or ask for help with that, or as you said, wait for your lighter follow-up version if the feedback demands it. No matter what you do, you'll still get negatives about something, so just finish it with your choices (which you've put so much skinning and tweaking work into) and let the buyers beware.

Remember, around here, we ALWAYS work things out on the user side ;)

Ian Astill
November 23rd, 2011, 23:39
Fair enough reason fellagh, Unfortunately though I'm not sure whether my pc will be able to handle the pressure.

The bottom line though, is I can always swap in different models using mortons utility program.

Discus
November 24th, 2011, 07:12
I concur with Ian

Cheers, Discus