PDA

View Full Version : Decided it was time to get a concealed weapon permit.....

Navy Chief
November 21st, 2011, 15:02
I've had my Beretta Model 92 9mm for several years (since 98), but never thought about getting a concealed weapon permit. But I recently decided to take the class and get it. It's a 8 hour class, (in nearby Fort Myers, FL) including training on several types of handguns, besides my own. Maybe I'll never have the need to fire my weapon in defense, but I will feel more confident, having undergone the training. NC

TeaSea
November 21st, 2011, 15:33
Chief,

In Florida as a veteran you may waive the training.

I have a permit, however I do simply because if I decide to purchase a weapon, the permit means I can take the weapon home from the shop rather than waiting.

I do not run around town with a concealed weapon.

Navy Chief
November 21st, 2011, 15:40
Chief,

In Florida as a veteran you may waive the training.

I have a permit, however I do simply because if I decide to purchase a weapon, the permit means I can take the weapon home from the shop rather than waiting.

I do not run around town with a concealed weapon.

I don't plan on running around town either. I merely want to take the training, and get the license to carry my weapon, if I choose to do so, legally. I didn't know about the option of waiving the training, but wouldn't do so anyway, because it's been so long since I had any formal instruction on the handling of a weapon. I want to do this! NC

beana51
November 21st, 2011, 16:43
I had a Carry concealed permit...in NY STATE as well as Penna....Other than a very rare occasion ,I opted out ...however ,at home ,always near me in bed. my 357mag..I lived ,on a farm, a rural area ,however,never locked doors...why? A King Shepard would spoil yer whole nite!

The after 70 yrs of living a rural farm life,guns all over the house..I got took to FLORIDA,,,At 75 then,they Shanghaied me!

..Guess what??,in a few months,we got broke into.In a good neighbored!!I had my gun put away,was sleeping,heard nothing,...no dog.,,,,Since then 5yrs now,I BE ARMED TO THE TEETH..Knifes,Hawk,and all! "GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY"...BUT!..a big BUT,in my carport,my car!..yaa got it.. Thieves,Messed up my car......here in Florida I can have a gun in house......the security ,peace of Rural NY,gone...here on the GULF coast,PIRACY lives..I' pull guard duty now!..FLORIDA!..Nice place to live,BUT I WOULD NEVER WANT TO VISIT THERE!... The extreme heat bakes the brains of the nitwits, here,and yer in a heapa trouble!FLORIDA???....YUCK!

"FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS"

Gdavis101
November 21st, 2011, 22:23
I have not carried a gun since 1999 and for the first time in years I am thinking it might be time to get my concealed weapon permit again.

Crusader
November 22nd, 2011, 00:15
Just got my concealed carry permit about a month ago here in Ohio . I've been around weapons all my life both in the military and for a few years in law enforcement . I presently carry (On occasion) a Smith and Wesson M & P 9mm . A little larger for concealed purposes that I would like but with the right holster , it does very well . I , like many , carry it out only in certain circumstances . I walk a lot , usually in the early morning hours or late evening hours and I take it . The town I live in is relatively small(10-15,000) . I good friend of mine on the Police Dept told me the B & E's are on the increase and have a few robberies and assaults . Just awhile back a lady was robbed after coming out of a ATM in a front lobby of a bank (Closed). The parking lot for the bank is off an alley along side the bank and not well traveled by traffic or pedestrians . It is well lighted and probably with a camera but that doesn't stop anybody now a days . It also happens to be the bank I use . For a small county seat (New Lexington) and Perry County being very rural we even get an occasional home invasion with assault and robbery . As the Police have told me , you would think it(crime) would be for economic reasons but the majority are drug related . I hope and pray I never , I repeat never , have to use my weapon . As the law reads : Only when threatened with serious bodily injury or death . The bottom line is folks , we are living in a very different society which is much more violent than the one a lot of us grew up in . We all need to be careful and use common sense .

Rich

Jagdflieger
November 22nd, 2011, 06:23
Having served under arms all my life in some pretty bad places, I feel a bit less than dressed without one. If carried correctly, no one is the wiser and if necessary; you have the tool to solve what might otherwise be an unhappy situation. I think it boils down to personal responsibility. Do you protect yourself, or do you leave that to someone you don't know, who is probably busy with someone else's problem and who is probably more than 10 minutes away.

Judging by the number of states in the USA that have positively updated or passed liberal concealed carry laws as well as defense of home laws for their citizens in the last decade, the topic has been more than just a passing fad.

As Crusader said above, one must really know and understand their state's laws regarding the use of deadly force in self-defense. That eight hour course in Florida is a great step in that direction. In many countries there is no right to self-defense, but in the US, we claim it as a right under old English common law as well as legislated law and the US Constitution (2nd Ammendment).

brad kaste
November 22nd, 2011, 06:33
Conceal and Carry makes darn good sense to me. Except the Land of Lincoln is the only state in the Union where it's not allowed.

av8erjm
November 22nd, 2011, 07:18
To some of you who obtained a CHL, but then state you don't carry a gun w/ you and that it's beside your bed or in a lock box, WHY? the only time you need a CHL is when your away from the house and you are in possesion, at least that's the law in ORE. Are there some states where you need a permit just to have a gun in your house, that just don't sound right. On a similar note the House passed HR822 which is a bill that works much the same as a dirvers license, that is w/ a DL you can drive in other states w/o getting that states DL. What HR 822 says that is if you have a CHL for lets say ORE you can travel to any other state that has a CHL provision w/o penalty of breaking a law. You do have to be aware of the state you traveling thru and abide by their laws as to where you may or may not take your weapon into IE: courthouses etc. At any rate it's up to Harry Reid to allow it thru the Senate and lately he's not to keen on any thing coming from the House, even though this was a bi-partisan bill sponsored by members of both parties. for now it's just a wait and see what the Senate wil do and then how will the WH will rule, but the NRA has put a lot of money and effort so we'll just have to see how far logic will take this

Blue Skies and Tail Winds Av8erjm

PS: What my CHL insructor told us that sad but true story is 2 things (1) if you do brandish your weapon it will cost you a minimum of 10K to 20K in court and that's if your innocent (2) the police do not prevent crimes from happening only to write up a report after a crime has been committed

beana51
November 22nd, 2011, 08:24
<figure class="Thumbnail articlePhoto"> (http://i.ehow.com/images/a07/c6/ua/handgun-laws-home-florida-800x800.jpg)<figcaption class="Note caption">Florida law authorizes use of force such as a handgun when faced with an intruder at home.</figcaption> </figure> Florida law regarding handgun usage to defend the home or business is one of the most liberal in the United States. There is no duty to retreat before the use of deadly force.
Related Searches:

<section class="Module body FLC"> <section>

Deadly Force

Florida law dictates that handguns, whether loaded or unloaded, exert deadly force. Use of a handgun can only be justified under certain situations: when protecting yourself or another person from death or serious injury, or when attempting to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, burglary, kidnapping and robbery. Deadly force is never justified when mere words are used as a threat; there must be some sort of action on the part of the aggressor.

Castle Doctrine

You are not required to leave your own home in Florida to avoid using a handgun against an intruder. You are also not required to retreat when faced with an intruder in your place of business. There is a presumption in the law that anyone who enters property with force and unlawfully does so with the intention of committing a crime which involves force or violence.

Limitations of the Castle Doctrine

The Castle Doctrine only applies when you are in your home or business and faced with an intruder who entered the premises unlawfully. There are a few situations where the doctrine does not apply: when the person entering the premises has a right to be there; when the person defending the premises is engaged in illegal activity; or when the person entering is a law enforcement officer who identifies himself and is in the line of duty.

</section></section>

Toastmaker
November 22nd, 2011, 10:45
I carry a gun because a policeman is too heavy. . .

:running:

Navy Chief
November 22nd, 2011, 11:58
Well, I just got home a little while ago from taking the class. It included range time at "Shoot Straight", where I shot 70 rounds (seven types of hand guns). Very informative class, and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of it. Now, with the completed paperwork (test, NRA certificate, etc..) I made an appointment with the state agency office at Punta Gorda, Fl., for Dec. 16th.

I went through training on the Beretta 9mm while with a USMC outfit on MCAS Iwakuni, way back in 1996, but today's class was even better, because it was just me and the instructor. Well worth the extra expense.....

NC